Buck Journal / Joe Houser

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Buck Journal / Joe Houser

Post by KLJ77 »

For you Buck fans who may not receive notifications from Buck, there is a GREAT article on Joe Houser, Custom Knife Maker and Buck Historian.
You don't have to 'sign in' to read the journal.

https://www.buckknives.com/blog/creatin ... ser-story/
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
Old Hunter

Re: Buck Journal / Joe Houser

Post by Old Hunter »

Very good article LJ, thanks. I wish they had included a few photos of Joe & Maralee’s collection of old Hoyt and Al Buck Knives. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Old Hunter wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:20 am Very good article LJ, thanks. I wish they had included a few photos of Joe & Maralee’s collection of old Hoyt and Al Buck Knives. OH
I thought the same thing, OH. With over 100 knives in that collection, I can only imagine some of those heirloom treasures. ::woot::
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
Azretired

Post by Azretired »

Great series very interesting history they have.
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

I just discovered that Joe Houser has retired from Buck...at the end of March. ::shrug:: Didn't even see that coming. I find it very interesting that Joe retired at about the same time Buck hired a new President from outside the family. May be just a coincidence. Nevertheless, I'm going to miss Joe...he and I had several conversations via email regarding specific knives I've asked about. He was ALWAYS gracious and hospitable with his time and knowledge of Buck history. Had it not been for Joe, documented history of Buck knives wouldn't be where it is today. I have several knives in my collection that were made exclusively by Joe...those are safe queens. ::nod::
LJ

Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

I had read about his retirement on Blade Forums BUCK subforum, where he was a Moderator. I think his retirement may have caused the family to go outside to find a President for Buck Knives. I don’t think the family is going to let an outsider change their culture for the worse but it will bear watching, you can ruin an organizations culture much quicker than you can re-establish a good one. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Old Hunter wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:19 am I had read about his retirement on Blade Forums BUCK subforum, where he was a Moderator. I think his retirement may have caused the family to go outside to find a President for Buck Knives. I don’t think the family is going to let an outsider change their culture for the worse but it will bear watching, you can ruin an organizations culture much quicker than you can re-establish a good one. OH
That's a good perspective, OH. Maybe Joe didn't' want to be President...or, he wanted to move on after 35 + years and do something else. I hate to think something more 'sinister' was going on, without sounding like a conspiracy theorist. ::paranoid:: Nevertheless, I agree that; CJ & Lori are not going to allow an outsider to ruin their company with outrageous changes their customer base will not tolerate. So many ways for the average consumer of Buck knives to look at this and wonder how it's all going to evolve. Time will till, for sure.
LJ

jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

I hope all washes out fine!!!🤞🤞
John 🎩
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”