Buck 112 4 Dot (81-86)

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Buck 112 4 Dot (81-86)

Post by KLJ77 »

This is a 112 I got from the large lot I bought a while back. The tip had been snapped off about 3/4 inch. I was contemplating whether to send it in for a blade replacement, but then, I decided not to, because I would then lose the provenance of the blade and the 440C steel. I suppose that's a menial thing, but it's just the way I felt about it. Anyway...put it on my grinder and modified it to a sheepsfoot style. (or a tanto, depending on how one looks at it) The blade was pretty scratched up already, so it's not like I was going to ruin it. The bolsters are beat up with dings and scratches, but the original Macassar Ebony handles are in GREAT shape. So I'll keep it in the garage for use on special projects when I need a good sturdy knife. It's still got a lot of life left in it.

Thanks for looking...
Attachments
IMG_0154.JPG
IMG_0155.JPG
IMG_0157.JPG
IMG_0158.JPG
IMG_0164.JPG
IMG_0160.JPG
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
cody6268

Re: Buck 112 4 Dot (81-86)

Post by cody6268 »

Looks great!

Short, kinda Wharncliffe blade in a full-size knife frame. That thing is gonna be a razor. I have a sub-two-inch closed Boker that comes from the factory with a really similar blade profile. I put off buying it for two years because "it's too darn tiny to do anything with". I had to buy some watch bands from the company selling it exclusively and put it in my cart with some other stuff to get over a free shipping limit. But, I'm amazed at what it can cut, no doubt due to that blade shape.

As you can see, the 3-inch closed Nano Bantam is HUGE in comparison! But, both can do equal amounts of work. I am sure with that profile in a 112, it's going to be perfect for heavy cutting, especially in 440C. The Boker is D2 Tool Steel (upgraded from the standard AUS-8 version), so it too can do heavy cutting.
KIMG1560.JPG

The problem with my 112 is that the blade is worn down about 60 percent. AND there's a huge ding in the blade edge. At that point, when I dress out the large chip, it's about gonna have a 40% blade. So, might as well get Buck to install a new blade. Even if it is 420HC and not the original 440C (it's a two-dot).
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Thanks Cody...yeah, it does look more like a wharncliffe, doesn't it. And the edge did sharpen up very nicely...it is razor sharp.

I like the looks of that tiny Boker. Looks as though it could be used as a skinner, albeit, the tip might be just a bit too pointy for hide work, depending on how one worked the edge against the hide. ::shrug:: It is a unique looking cutter though.

As to your 112, you're right about the loss of so much blade that it would be better to get a new one put on. If mine didn't have 90% or more of the blade remaining, I would probably sacrifice the 4 dot / 440C and get it replaced.
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

I believe your replacement would be 420 HC. ::shrug::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

garddogg56 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:37 pm I believe your replacement would be 420 HC. ::shrug::
You are correct, GD...any knives sent in today would be 420HC. The only way one would even come close to getting an 80's blade (440C) would be to specifically ask for one and hope Buck had some hidden away and someone took the time to look. Probably not a high percentage chance that would happen, though.
LJ

Azretired

Post by Azretired »

Just me but I would still send it for a Spa treatment and a new blade. It deserves it!

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”