Buck Master 2.0 Combat Series in 2021?

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
MadTrapper

Buck Master 2.0 Combat Series in 2021?

Post by MadTrapper »

Anyone know anything about this? It's be awesome if it comes to fruition. ::tu::
"A knife is as personal and necessary a thing as a man ever owns." Bob Loveless
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Buck Master 2.0 Combat Series in 2021?

Post by jerryd6818 »

MadTrapper wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:30 pm Anyone know anything about this? It's be awesome if it comes to fruition. ::tu::
Some info I found online. https://blog.knifecenter.com/new-buck-k ... show-2020/
buckmaster.jpg
The design was perfect except for one thing: the cost. The milling required to make the entire knife out one piece of steel was prohibitively expensive. So, rather than make a knife that priced out the very military divers they designed it for in the first place, the team turned to the Buck archives for inspiration.

The final design has the redesigned spear point blade, but a much simpler (and less expensive) handle profile borrowed from the late Bob McDonald’s first prototype from decades ago:
BuckMaster-heroshot-crop.jpg
BuckMaster 2.0 prototype knife resting on table
The BuckMaster returns!
The most iconic feature of the original BuckMaster – the spikes in the guard – are back and more functional than ever. Instead of pointy, threaded pins, the 2.0 uses a removable, one-piece guard that locks into place across the handle. Since the redesigned guard is oriented across the blade instead of in line with it, it doesn’t get in the way of your grip like the spikes on the old BuckMaster. It also works with the guard pointed toward the blade or toward the handle for even more versatile uses: everything from a rappelling point to the aforementioned anchor for line when buried in the ground.
Buckmaster-with-guard-crop.jpg
BuckMaster 2.0 prototype knife in hand
Some small details, like the handle scale color and finish, are still expected to change, but the design should enter full production soon. You can check out all the new Buck knives as they arrive, and please let us know what you think of this redesigned classic in the comments below!
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
MadTrapper

Post by MadTrapper »

Very interesting indeed. Thank you much for posting this. I must confess however, that I was hoping for something resembling the original 184 a whole lot more than this... I guess we'll see how it comes out. I'll be watching for it.

Thanks again.
"A knife is as personal and necessary a thing as a man ever owns." Bob Loveless
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

That's what I thought too. It does not bear any resemblance to the original, so why not go with a new name. Just trying to mislead people by linking something new to something from the past even though there is no connection.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
SwedgeHead
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by SwedgeHead »

I didn't want to ressurect an old thread from years back, but this one is new enough I suppose.
Going back to the 1.0.

This is mine, given to me by my brother back in the 80's, I thought he was nuts to spend what I think was $170 back then, but after seeing a listing for one recently I went digging for it, hadn't seen it in years. And it's still very kool.

Seeing the ones shared already I noticed none of them showed it with the spikes removed and stowed in the handle, so here are a couple pics.
I always stored (of course) sewing needles and fishing gear and matches and left the hooks on... in case like Rambo you need to sew your arm back on after falling off a 200 ft cliff, and needed a fish dinner to make you feel better. I remember modifying the sheath way back then too.

Memories !
Attachments
Buckmaster184_1.JPG
Buckmaster184_2.JPG

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”