Im confused about the original Bucklite

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
Ruffinogold

Im confused about the original Bucklite

Post by Ruffinogold »

Im on the hunt for , what I believe to be , the original Bucklite . The knife I had gotten from my step father was similar to this one but without finger grooves , colored black and came in a black and brown belt pouch

https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... sa-?page=2

So , Im looking for one and I keep seeing people in videos or in print mention that these Bucklites came out in 83 or later . Thing is , I got my Bucklite in what I think was the summer of 79 or latest 1980 but I doubt it .

Did Buck have a different " plastic " handle knife before the Bucklite ?

The pouch had a brown square on the top portion that had Buck in black print

Anyway , I cant find one and Im beginning to think my mind is going . Do any of you guys remember the knife Im thinking ?

I had 2 knives back then .. my Schrade Sharpfinger and my Buck . I was pretty proud of both and Im confident [ mostly lol ] that the plastic handel knife wasnt another brand as I refered to it as " my Buck "

Any help , whether its letting me know Im losing my mind or not would be helpful . Thanks ::tu::
Modern Slip Joints

Re: Im confused about the original Bucklite

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

I have no expertise but no later than than 1983 I bought a Buck 422 that is constructed like the Buck you describe. My 422 is the size of a Buck 112 and is fitted with the common 112 clip blade. Unlike yours my synthetic handle is a reddish or rust brown. Unlike the thinner modern Bucklites its hamdle is as thick as a standard wood 112. Of course my 422 does not have a pocket clip. Mine never had a belt pouch but I do not recall if I bought it new or used. My knife's handle might be Nylon. It does not have finger grooves. I still have it but it's not where I'm at. I could look at it in a few days if there's anything of interest.

I hope this is helpful. No doubt a member who knows more will post before long.
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

The BuckLite Series of the 422, 424, and the 426 did not come out until 1984. They were not listed in Buck's catalog until 1985. The 422 was the first of the series and the 424 & 426 were the BuckLite II and BuckLite III respectfully. There were various versions of each...i.e., color.

The 422 was discontinued in 94. The 424 & 426 were discontinued in 86 & 88.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-07-25 at 21.02.33.png
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I am confused too, as my Bucklite 426 is black, finger grooved, and has the tang stamp marking for being made in 1992.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:07 am I am confused too, as my Bucklite 426 is black, finger grooved, and has the tang stamp marking for being made in 1992.
Sorry for the confusion. I went back and double checked what I'd read and found I was wrong on the 424 / 426. All three of the Bucklite series knives were discontinued in 94, 95 being the last year Buck had them listed in their catalog. I stand corrected.
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

KLJ77 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:38 am
OLDE CUTLER wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:07 am I am confused too, as my Bucklite 426 is black, finger grooved, and has the tang stamp marking for being made in 1992.
Sorry for the confusion. I went back and double checked what I'd read and found I was wrong on the 424 / 426. All three of the Bucklite series knives were discontinued in 94, 95 being the last year Buck had them listed in their catalog. I stand corrected.
No problem. In the chart above, what are the numbers in the far right hand column referring to?
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

The numbers in the far right column is the catalog # for each knife variation.
LJ

Ruffinogold

Post by Ruffinogold »

Modern Slip Joints wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:19 am I have no expertise but no later than than 1983 I bought a Buck 422 that is constructed like the Buck you describe. My 422 is the size of a Buck 112 and is fitted with the common 112 clip blade. Unlike yours my synthetic handle is a reddish or rust brown. Unlike the thinner modern Bucklites its hamdle is as thick as a standard wood 112. Of course my 422 does not have a pocket clip. Mine never had a belt pouch but I do not recall if I bought it new or used. My knife's handle might be Nylon. It does not have finger grooves. I still have it but it's not where I'm at. I could look at it in a few days if there's anything of interest.

I hope this is helpful. No doubt a member who knows more will post before long.
Thank you , sir
Ruffinogold

Post by Ruffinogold »

I called my Ma . On a side note ... call your Ma , its always a good thing to do . Anyway , I asked her if we moved to Independence NJ in the summer of 79 and she said we did . So heres what Im thinking .. maybe Buck had a plastic handle knife prior to the buck lite that was called something else .. or .. I had a different brand knife than Im seeing in my head , which I kind of doubt because I spent some time with that knife and I truly remember it [ I hope :) ] .

I wonder if I were to write Buck , if they respond to questions like that ? I also sent my old 110 off for a new blade and spa treatment . Im super psyched to get it back
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Ruffinogold,

Here's what Buck posted at their "about us" on their website. I believe Tony Wagner is now the Buck historian since Joe Houser retired. Nevertheless, follow these instructions and contact them. Be patient and give them time to research your question / knife.

HISTORY

If you have a question about a knife and its history, our historians will do their best to answer it. Please email a clear photo(s)of the knife and box (iff you have it) to history@buckknives.com Please allow 1-2 weeks for us to research the product and get back to you.

Hope this helps and you can get an answer.
LJ

Ruffinogold

Post by Ruffinogold »

KLJ77 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:53 pm Ruffinogold,

Here's what Buck posted at their "about us" on their website. I believe Tony Wagner is now the Buck historian since Joe Houser retired. Nevertheless, follow these instructions and contact them. Be patient and give them time to research your question / knife.

HISTORY

If you have a question about a knife and its history, our historians will do their best to answer it. Please email a clear photo(s)of the knife and box (iff you have it) to history@buckknives.com Please allow 1-2 weeks for us to research the product and get back to you.

Hope this helps and you can get an answer.
Thank you very much . I will report back when I get some info ::tu::

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”