Question

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
just bob

Question

Post by just bob »

Not my knife so I don't know much about it. Tang stamp is Buck Custom with an anvil. I thought Yellowhorse, but don't know. Any comments? Sorry about the bad pic. It's all I have.
Attachments
buck.jpg
buck 2.jpg
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Question

Post by Railsplitter »

Could be Yellowhorse but it looks more like Santa Fe Stoneworks.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Samb

Post by Samb »

Whatever it is it's a purdy one.
bertl

Post by bertl »

Railsplitter wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:28 pm Could be Yellowhorse but it looks more like Santa Fe Stoneworks.
Santa Fe Stoneworks hasn't done any Buck knives since Buck moved to Idaho. I think there's a possibility this is a Painted Pony knife by Michael Prater.

Bert
just bob

Post by just bob »

Any chance this is an imported knock off ? I can’t find another with Buck Custom on the tang stamp.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
bertl

Post by bertl »

just bob wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:31 pm Any chance this is an imported knock off ? I can’t find another with Buck Custom on the tang stamp.
The attached photos show a Michael Prater Painted Pony 303. I see some similarities between this knife and yours. Do you have a photo of the other side of the knife? Mine has a stamp on the back side of the main blade that says Painted Pony Michael Prater. Check the tang stamp.

Bert
303 Painted Pony Michael Prater 1.jpeg
303 Painted Pony Michael Prater 2.jpeg
just bob

Post by just bob »

No I don’t own that knife. It is in a local auction and all they say is Buck Knife. It looks to me like you nailed it. I was concerned it was imported junk. Thank you

bertl

Post by bertl »

just bob wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:13 pm No I don’t own that knife. It is in a local auction and all they say is Buck Knife. It looks to me like you nailed it. I was concerned it was imported junk. Thank you

Prater is a well respected custom knife maker. Most of his work is a little too ornate for my taste, but he does good work.

Bert
BIGHEAD

Post by BIGHEAD »

Just call Michael he will tell you if it is his. He is a good guy. ::tu::

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”