Off the Charts !!!

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
JonTerry

Off the Charts !!!

Post by JonTerry »

Hi Dudes,

I'm normally pretty good with Dating Bucks but this Tang Stamp has me in a bit of twist ??

Is this another stamp for 1987 ??

Please help me out guys.

Cheers

JT
Attachments
619b.jpg
Tang Stamp 619.jpg
You do not have a soul, you are a soul, what you have is a body
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Off the Charts !!!

Post by dlr110 »

Have you emailed the pic's to buck@buckknives.com and asked them?
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

As I understand it, Buck sometimes used dots to designate a change. For example, a change of blade steel or other notable change.

The dot is not part of the date code.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
JonTerry

Post by JonTerry »

dlr110 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:07 pm Have you emailed the pic's to buck@buckknives.com and asked them?
Na mate thought somebody here would know ;)
JonTerry

Post by JonTerry »

Railsplitter wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:07 pm As I understand it, Buck sometimes used dots to designate a change. For example, a change of blade steel or other notable change.

The dot is not part of the date code.
The plot thickens then .....Doh ::doh:: ::doh:: ::doh::
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Seems to me if the dot is not part of the date code it makes it quite clear. ::doh::

Ken
Attachments
CF618FDE-C63D-41B5-8C12-ECF747685767.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
JonTerry

Post by JonTerry »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:54 pm Seems to me if the dot is not part of the date code it makes it quite clear.

Ken
True Ken,

It would suggest 1987 but what changes did they make that year to warrant the dot ???

Cheers

JT
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

JonTerry wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:55 pm
Mumbleypeg wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:54 pm Seems to me if the dot is not part of the date code it makes it quite clear.

Ken
True Ken,

It would suggest 1987 but what changes did they make that year to warrant the dot ???

Cheers

JT
That’s a different question. And above my pay grade.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

I should have clarified that the dot is not part of the date code on the OP's example.

Here's a 505 that I used to have with that same dot. Pre-1986 so the date code is not a factor on this example.
Attachments
Buck 505.JPG
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
ScoutKnives

Post by ScoutKnives »

I was told the dot was a hardness / heat treatment test .

Mike
Always looking for Mint pre war scout knives
JonTerry

Post by JonTerry »

ScoutKnives wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:34 pm I was told the dot was a hardness / heat treatment test .

Mike
It is for Puma Knives but never heard about Buck doing it ?
The dot on a Puma blade is the actual dent left after testing
ScoutKnives

Post by ScoutKnives »

There is a thread over on bladeforms about the dot on buck knives .
JonTerry wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:02 pm
ScoutKnives wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:34 pm I was told the dot was a hardness / heat treatment test .

Mike
It is for Puma Knives but never heard about Buck doing it ?
The dot on a Puma blade is the actual dent left after testing
Always looking for Mint pre war scout knives
Bamarick

Post by Bamarick »

JonTerry,
I have a model 619 here somewhere mint in the box. It too has the dot before the marking. I researched this marking since I hadn't seen it before and I came across an article that at least satisfied my curiosity. As you know, Buck started their date code system in 1986. This article states that there are blade stampings out there that do not show up in the date code charts. The article goes on to say that in 1987 Buck made a run of about 4800 of the 703 Colt. The sheepsfoot blade on the 703 could be found with the single dot. It says that in this case Buck was testing a 441 stainless steel. The article goes on to say that there are also versions of the 110 and 112 that have markings not found on the date charts. I guess the true answer to these variations could only be answered by Buck. I hope this helps. Have a great day,---Rick
JonTerry

Post by JonTerry »

Bamarick wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:10 pm JonTerry,
I have a model 619 here somewhere mint in the box. It too has the dot before the marking. I researched this marking since I hadn't seen it before and I came across an article that at least satisfied my curiosity. As you know, Buck started their date code system in 1986. This article states that there are blade stampings out there that do not show up in the date code charts. The article goes on to say that in 1987 Buck made a run of about 4800 of the 703 Colt. The sheepsfoot blade on the 703 could be found with the single dot. It says that in this case Buck was testing a 441 stainless steel. The article goes on to say that there are also versions of the 110 and 112 that have markings not found on the date charts. I guess the true answer to these variations could only be answered by Buck. I hope this helps. Have a great day,---Rick
Thanks for this Rick,
I think I'll keep hold of this one for a while as I was going to sell it, but this Dot thing has pricked my curiosity and could mean that you and I have something quite rare !!!

Cheers

JT
ea42

Post by ea42 »

The only reasonable explanantion I've heard regarding those dots is that they signified a mid-year change. Could have been anything, even something internal or a hole size that you can't see. I've seen a photo of a 422 from the same year with the same dot so it might have been a change that went across a number of models from that year.

Eric
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

JonTerry wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:56 am
I think I'll keep hold of this one for a while as I was going to sell it, but this Dot thing has pricked my curiosity and could mean that you and I have something quite rare !!!

Cheers

JT
Just don’t mistake rare to mean valuable. Value requires supply AND demand.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

JonTerry

Post by JonTerry »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:30 pm
JonTerry wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:56 am

Cheers

JT
Just don’t mistake rare to mean valuable. Value requires supply AND demand.

Ken
True,

But I reckon the Dot will make it a bit more rare, so maybe another 20-30 Bucks on Value ?
There are a few online around the $160-200 mark so I'll keep an eye on them.

JT
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Keep wishing. I wouldn't plan having lunch on it though. 8)

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

JonTerry

Post by JonTerry »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:34 pm Keep wishing. I wouldn't plan having lunch on it though. 8)

Ken
Just gotta snag the Dude who wants this Dot model ........he may even know what it means lol
JonTerry

Post by JonTerry »

Bamarick wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:10 pm JonTerry,
So mate can we assume mine is 441 steel ??
Bamarick

Post by Bamarick »

JonTerry,
No, I wouldn't assume your knife is made with 441 steel. The knife mentioned in the article was a 703 Colt, of which a run of around 4800 knives were made with 441 steel. As for the dot before the year stamping on the 1987 model 619, who knows? It could be just about anything. I'm not an expert on Buck knives but perhaps someone will come along with a better explanation. As for rarity and value I've seen these knives in the same range as you mentioned. Your knife and mine are the only two from 1987 I've seen, and both have the dot. I guess it's possible that all the 1987 model 619 knives have the same dot. I had mine on a table at several shows and had it priced far below those prices. I didn't even get an offer on it. Here in Alabama I doubt that anyone would view it as a rare collectable. They are looking for something for hunting purposes. There are a lot of knives that are better suited for that purpose and they can be had at a lower price.---Rick
JonTerry

Post by JonTerry »

Thanks Rick

I’ve just had a photo of a post from another forum regarding this date with the dot on 110’s
Apparently Joe Houser (whoever he is ? Presumably someone from Buck ?) wrote an article about this strange marking and doesn’t have an answer ??

Will we ever know ???

Are fixed blades marked differently to folders ?
Or do we have the lottery winning knives in our hands 👍👍👍
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

According to Larry Oden in his book; "Holding An Edge", all "dots" on the tang are indicative to changes made to a particular knife, such as steel change, internal changes, etc. Keep in mind though, Buck's 'date chart' had 'dots' in their year dates from 2011 - 2021, and have nothing to do with any type of change.

Here are two excerpts from Larry's book. I know they don't relate to your 619 (87 model), but bottom line is; a specific dot outside the date chart, is indicative to 'some' sort of change. I suspect that; your dot may be indicative to a steel change from 440C to 425...it meets the timeline of 1987. (speculation on my part) The dot(s) don't add any value to the knife itself. It's all about a change that was made.
Attachments
IMG_2174.JPG
IMG_2176.JPG
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
JonTerry

Post by JonTerry »

Brilliant
This is the closest e got so far 👍😂👍

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”