Case whittler coping blade

Stop in hear to look for parts, parts knives, tools, materials, and other items for knife making & repair. Post pictures and descriptions of your extra stuff, ask if anyone has something you're looking to find and more.
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Case whittler coping blade

Post by glennbad »

I am looking for a coping blade for a Case whittler. Measures about 2 1/4" long. Existing one's tang is worn, no snap.
davedcoping1.jpg
davedcoping2.jpg
Landersknives

Re: Case whittler coping blade

Post by Landersknives »

glennbad wrote:I am looking for a coping blade for a Case whittler. Measures about 2 1/4" long. Existing one's tang is worn, no snap.

davedcoping1.jpg
davedcoping2.jpg
Glenn if you don’t find a replacement send me the blade and I will weld the tang for you. Just leave it the way it is when you take it out. What I mean is leave the lip that has formed so it will give me an idea how much to build it up.
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Landersknives wrote:
glennbad wrote:I am looking for a coping blade for a Case whittler. Measures about 2 1/4" long. Existing one's tang is worn, no snap.

davedcoping1.jpg
davedcoping2.jpg
Glenn if you don’t find a replacement send me the blade and I will weld the tang for you. Just leave it the way it is when you take it out. What I mean is leave the lip that has formed so it will give me an idea how much to build it up.
That is a decent offer, I hadn't considered this option. I'm not sure there is a lip, but if I do go with this option, I'd probably send you the other blade for measure, which the tang is intact.

Would the blade need to be re-heat treated after?
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

glennbad wrote:
Landersknives wrote:

davedcoping1.jpg
davedcoping2.jpg
That is a decent offer, I hadn't considered this option. I'm not sure there is a lip, but if I do go with this option, I'd probably send you the other blade for measure, which the tang is intact.

Would the blade need to be re-heat treated after?
It wouldn’t hurt I guess to heat treat the blade again. I use a copper block for dispensation of heat and with the back of the tang being the only spot I weld. The weld is harder than the metal. About three quick spots and your done. I have done a few and have never had a problem with them. It gets hotter usually when I shape it. I can only speak from my experience there maybe guys who have more experience than me that will differ with my opinion. I welded and brazed for 11 years which is not a long time in the grand scheme of things but it is a good spell. I will be glad to help you any way I can Glenn. When I go out to the shop tonight I will look and see if I have a replacement for you.
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
SteelMyHeart85420

Post by SteelMyHeart85420 »

I'd like to see this blade repair documented in pictures! ::tu::

Return to “Knife Mechanic's Swap Forum”