Need Secondary back spring for Case 75

Stop in hear to look for parts, parts knives, tools, materials, and other items for knife making & repair. Post pictures and descriptions of your extra stuff, ask if anyone has something you're looking to find and more.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Need Secondary back spring for Case 75

Post by orvet »

I found this knife on my vacation recently. I met a fellow in Arizona who owns a knife store that 98% of the AAPK members would be drooling on themselves to see inside of it and do a little shopping. It was awesome and the owner, Jon, is a real knife lover. He has read a little on AAPK but I could tell as first love is knives, not computers.

I bought several knives from a gentleman who runs a cutlery store in Arizona. I will write more about him more later. Suffice it to say that I came away with a large Case Stockman that I want to refurbish foreign EDC. Many of you know I don't collect Case knives but I do have some that I carry as EDC's. That's what I want this knife to be used for, either as a Stockman or as a single blade knife.

Mega Props to whoever designed the Case Research Section here on AAPK. It's very useful!
I think I was able to come close to identifying this knife just based on the information available in the research section
As you can see from the pictures the spring for the secondary blades is broken. As you can also see from the pictures the nomenclature on the knife is pretty well worn. On the tang stamps I can make out CASE (longtail C) / TESTED XX.
The Case research section shows:
1- this tang stamp to be used between 1920 to 1940 or between 1919 to 1945, depending on which expert you happen to listen to apparently.

2- If I am reading the research correctly my knife is a #75 pattern (4-5/16")..

3- The shield it appears to be an Oval shield with open C and tall S. The tutorial said the shield was "used on late tested era and early XX era knives."

So, those of you who are familiar with Case knives can tell me if I'm correct or mistaken.
I believe I have a Tested 75 pattern Case Stockman, and judging from the shield was probably made in the late tested era.

Hopefully I have identified it properly
Obviously now I need to locate a spring for this knife if possible. The handles appear to be bone when I look at them through 45 power magnification and the spring for the club blade still has decent snap in spite of the lack of lubrication. A couple drops of quick release oil and the snap is so good it almost jumps out of my hands!

If someone has a secondary blades spring for this knife I would be happy to buy/trade/barter/swap, etc. for a spring. If I can't find a spring for it I will have a couple of decent secondary blades available to trade for something else.
Thanks for your help! ::tu::

Pictures below.
Attachments
Case tested XX  a.jpg
Case Tested XX  b.jpg
Case tested XX c.jpg
Case tested XX d.jpg
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Need Secondary back spring for Case 75

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

It will probably be easier to make one than to find one.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
just bob

Post by just bob »

Dale since it's for you I'll dig around and see if I can find you one. Do you know the thickness? Sometimes that varies?
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
just bob

Post by just bob »

This is the only double end in that drawer. It's loose and I'm not sure if it came out of a 75 or 92. or even what era. About 3 3/4" long and .098 thick. Say the word and it's in the mail to you.
Attachments
0 1.JPG

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Nice find Dale!

I wish I could help but I don't have any Case parts.
I think I have some Schrade springs and you are welcome to any of those if you want.

I can't wait to see the work you do on this knife.

Good luck!

::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Thank you for looking Bob, but I don't think that's the right one. The spring on this one should be about 4 inches comparing it to the primary spring is a little over 4 inches and the thickness is about right, it's just too short. I do appreciate you looking for me.
I think I will modify this to a single blade.
Thank you both for checking! ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

just bob

Post by just bob »

Dale if you will tell me the thickness I will send you a single end spring . If I have one of the right thickness. You can overlay the spring with your old one. you have and work the one end down and make it work. Pretty sure I have the single end spring in the knife and it would have the right curvature.

Check your regular email Dale. I sent you some info.

Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Good thinking Bob!

::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Thanks for all your help guys. Bob, as usual you went above and beyond! I got your email but had a computer issue that required my attention for a couple days and lost the email.

I took the knife apart and found lots of rust inside. There is quite a bit.of pitting on the master spring.
I decided to go ahead and make a single blade to EDC. I think given the damage to the knife the best use is to use it and carry it as a single blade. It has obviously been laying around unused for many years. At least now it will be used, carried and valued for the fine cutting tool it will be again as soon ad I am finished with it.
I will post pics in the Restoration forum when I finish it.

Thanks again for your help! ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Return to “Knife Mechanic's Swap Forum”