Need a Robeson Punch & an NYK Punch

Stop in hear to look for parts, parts knives, tools, materials, and other items for knife making & repair. Post pictures and descriptions of your extra stuff, ask if anyone has something you're looking to find and more.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Need a Robeson Punch & an NYK Punch

Post by orvet »

I need a couple of punches to rebuild some beautiful old knives.
The first is a Hibbard Spencer & Bartlett and I am assured that it is a Robeson punch.
Here are a couple pictures:
Hibbard Spencer & Bartlett punch a.jpg
Hibbard Spencer & Bartlett punch b.jpg

The second punch from an New York Knife. I think it was called an Army Knife. The other blades in this knife are in good condition even the master blade is 80% or better and only has a small piece of bone missing on the rear handle, most definitely worth restoring!
NYK Punch broken a.jpg
NYK Punch broken b.jpg
Both of these knives are in nice condition except for the broken punches and ironically both have broken bone handles on the pile side.

I would really like to restore both of these knives. I have knives or parts for trade as well as $$$.
If you can help me out with parts for these I would appreciate it. Thank you.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
just bob

Re: Need a Robeson Punch & an NYK Punch

Post by just bob »

Dale I may be able to help you. I'll look tomorrow. I have found when replacing a punch thickness is critical and sometimes a spacer is used. how thick are each of these punches? Do they have spacers?
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Dale I believe I have what you're looking for. I also have a couple of the spiral punches as well, a bit rusty but no wear at all. PM me your addy and I'll send them along Monday. Just compare the tang to the tang of the punch that's in the knife. It's possible these punches were never in a knife and you may have to grind a bit off the front and/or rear of the tangs to have the spring flush.

Eric
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Thank you Eric,
PM inbound.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Ozwelder

Post by Ozwelder »

G,day Dale,
I am relatively new here and if I don't ask the question, I will never know.
My question is about the punches you refer to above. They look like they may be used like an awl perhaps to enlarge or make extra holes in a belt.
Is this the function for them or is it something else?
It is a knife tool I don't recall seeing on folding knives down here in Australia. I have seen similar which were flat but not with the tapered half round and the lip.

My interest in folding knives or pocket knives as we call them here goes back some 50 years plus.

Thanks in advance
Grahame
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

You are right Grahame,
if you never asked, you will never know.
One of the classic jack knife patterns was called a harness Jack. It usually had a Clip blade, though I think I have seen them with spear blades as well, and the secondary blade was a punch similar to the ones posted above. The harness Jack was a knife by farmers who used horses and Teamsters who drove teams of horses. The punch was used to repair leather harnesses and also great for putting a new hole in your leather belt after a big dinner.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Return to “Knife Mechanic's Swap Forum”