Swing Guard for Case Cheetah Needed

Stop in hear to look for parts, parts knives, tools, materials, and other items for knife making & repair. Post pictures and descriptions of your extra stuff, ask if anyone has something you're looking to find and more.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Swing Guard for Case Cheetah Needed

Post by herbva »

I recently picked up a vintage cheetah (6111 1/2), but a prior owner must have removed the swing guard, so it just has an ugly hole in the tang. Before I try to fabricate the 2 replacement pieces, does anyone have a spare set to sell? Thanks!
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
just bob

Re: Swing Guard for Case Cheetah Needed

Post by just bob »

I contacted Jantz and the other knife supply places trying to find swing guards and struck out. As far as I could find no one is offering them. At one time Elvis was talking about having some made using the water jet process. He found out the cost of the first set was over $500 and then they dropped to like 25¢ a each if you bought 500 as I recall. Bob if you're reading this and that is wrong please correct me. I was also quoted a price of $22 to have a set made by a knife mechanic. When Tom Abbott was still doing knife repair I bought some blanks from him that have not been shaped or drilled. What I ended up doing was finding a Parker Frost cheetah style knife on ebay and purchased it for about $10. I took the swing guards off and resold the knife in a junk lot. That may be your cheapest way to go. If you don't want to go that route Kaleb will make a set for you.
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Thanks Bob. I was afraid this wasn't going to be easy. I think I will follow your lead and keep an eye out for a cheap "donor" knife. I am also thinking about buying some stainless steel sheet metal scrap and trying to fabricate the pieces myself. I think gauge 11 (1/8") should do the trick.. Best regards. Herb
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
just bob

Post by just bob »

Pretty sure the swing guards are made from n/s or aluminum? I'll get out in a day or two and try to post pics of what you need with measurements.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

I have had semi mass production of replacement cheetah guards on the to-do list for a long time. I need to get my hands on a guard as a template so i can get the project off the ground
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives
just bob

Post by just bob »

Here you go. They're about .075 thick. The pc. of metal at the bottom is one of the blanks I bought from Tom. He made these out of this stuff. It is nonmagnetic.
Attachments
a 1.JPG

muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

non magnetic should be nickel silver or a low grade of stainless steel.
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

.075 is dead on. Here are the other measurements from a 1970 model that hasn't been "de-swinguarded". The metal is definitely non-magnetic. Please let me know if you are going to make some of these and I will stop trying to figure it out myself! Thanks. Herb
Attachments
DSCN1168.JPG
DSCN1169.JPG
DSCN1170.JPG

Herb
GClaxon

Post by GClaxon »

This is what I have
B2A2F753-58D4-4701-9AC9-576608094205.png
just bob

Post by just bob »

dtomp

Post by dtomp »

I need a set also!

Return to “Knife Mechanic's Swap Forum”