UTICA SHIELD

Stop in hear to look for parts, parts knives, tools, materials, and other items for knife making & repair. Post pictures and descriptions of your extra stuff, ask if anyone has something you're looking to find and more.
OSCAR

UTICA SHIELD

Post by OSCAR »

I bought a NOS Utica coffin trapper. Beautiful knife but it arrived missing it’s shield. Does anyone have or know where I can get it? If so, please contact me. On another note, I bought the knife from Amazon. The picture showed the shield so they sold me a different knife from the one pictured. Buyer Beware. Last knife I buy from Amazon.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: UTICA SHIELD

Post by jerryd6818 »

Is it safe to assume there is a dwell routed out in the handle where the shield goes? Call them (Phone: (315) 733-4663), explain your situation and ask them to send a shield.

I'm assuming this is the knife you bought? I think it's a very handsome piece of cutlery.

BTW, a lot of stuff sold on Amazon, Amazon is just the middle-man.
Attachments
Utica 11-29579BB Coffin Jack -- Christmas '14.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

OSCAR wrote: On another note, I bought the knife from Amazon. The picture showed the shield so they sold me a different knife from the one pictured. Buyer Beware. Last knife I buy from Amazon.
This kind of thing happens more than you think. Companies that sell large amounts of products will often use what's called a "Stock Photo". It is a photo most likely used by the manufacturer to display whatever item it is.

Other retailers then use that stock photo (usually without permission), to list that item in their stores. I've seen this done a million times before and it doesn't just pertain to knives.

Your knife most likely came in a box. It was shipped that way to Amazon. Well, Amazon doesn't have time to open and check each individual item to make sure it's ok. No big retailer can do that.

That means your knife most likely left the Utica factory that way. It's not unheard of, it happens a lot in this modern age. It's called "Quality Control", or lack thereof.

I put the blame squarely on the shoulders of Utica, not Amazon.

_________
Mike
"If there are no Dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went". Will Rogers

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Hey Jerry. Thanks for replying. Yes that’s the knife. Mine has green handles. It is milled out to accept the shield. I did call Utica. They are trying to locate the correct shield as that knife has not been made for several years. They seem very willing to help but they aren’t sure they will have it. All I need is the shield. I can fix with a toothpick and a drop of epoxy. Thanks
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Mike: I agreed with you 100% !
The photo they had wasn’t the knife they sent. It showed shield. I called Utica and they seem very helpful. They will send IF they have one. It seems they hadn’t mad that knife in years. I am hoping they can. And as for Amazon or EBay, I won’t purchase anything that doesn’t state the photo is THE ACTUAL KNIFE THEY ARE SELLING. Thanks. Oscar
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

OSCAR wrote:Hey Jerry. that knife has not been made for several years. Thanks
I got that knife for Christmas in 2014 so probably 4-5 years. I had forgotten they made a green one.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

I really like the knife. Great pattern. They only make 2 traditional folders in USA now. But the 2 Utica make are common, and have white Delrin handles. I’m sure they are good quality, but I wouldn’t get them to collect. Probably make a good working knife though.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Update... The dealer on Amazon did in fact used a stock photo. I read reviews after I bought it. That was my mistake as it was sold as NOS. Seems another wrote a review and also received his knife without a shield.
Utica to the rescue. I contacted their customer service and they went out of their way to locate the shield which they are mailing to me. One drop of crazy glue and this will indeed be a beautiful knife to add to my collection. I couldn’t be more pleased. Thanks Utica !!
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Oscar, if I may make a suggestion…
I have used superglue to glue shields into knife handles, and it will work, but most cyanoacrylate glues (CA) are sensitive to shearing forces as are created from dropping a knife on a hard surface like a concrete floor. I have seen shields pop out on the handle and the knife it's the hard floor even days after being glued in with CA glues.

This is the epoxy I use. One dealer told me it was originally formulated as a golf club shaft adhesive. If it can stand up to the shearing forces inflicted upon a golf club, it should work great to hold in shields. Since I switched to using this glue, I am not have a shield pop out when I dropped the knife.
Quik-Cure epoxy.jpg
You can also find this glue in many places, branded for some companies as a house brand. The Hobby Lobby in my area carries it under the brand name Bob Smith Industries. It's the same glue and it's a little bit cheaper I believe at Hobby Lobby.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

733A4EB0-BCAD-469D-A12D-47BC6D950AF3.jpeg
Dale: Thanks for the info. I have no experience with even the simplest of repairs so I am going down to Hobby Lobby today and look for that glue. I didn’t give it much thought but epoxy will have a longer time to position and reposition if necessary. This is the first and only coffin shaped trapper I’ve seen. I know that Utica is not super collectible but it seems very well made and a good looking knife is a good looking knife. It’s not in the league of Queen e.g. but very well made nonetheless. Thanks for the info. Still waiting for the shield to arrive and I know it will make the knife look even better.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Oscar the shape of the knife really sets it apart. Glad for you that Utica stepped up. Show is after the repair. ::tu:: ::tu::
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Doglegg. I will gladly show it. Looking at Utica’s current line, most of their folders are one bladed lock back “tactical “whatever tactical is supposed to mean. They continue to make two American made traditional folders but neither is unique. The coffin trapper is a terrific design and I cannot figure out why they dropped it.
The newer knives are very practical for EDC.
One hand opening, very sturdy, synthetic grips that don’t slide in the hand. But they haven’t the esthetic qualities that most would value as collectibles. I hope that traditional folders will see a comeback. The coffin trapper hasn’t been made for years but there are a few NOS available in Amazon. Not the quality as say a GEC, but excellent quality overall and the design isn’t only unique but beautiful as well.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

I got the shield. A little larger than the area milled into the bone handle. I used epoxy, not perfect because it is not countersunk, but better than having a hole in the handle. I’d definitely buy another if I could find one in perfect condition. All in all, a really nice trapper.
Attachments
BBC16C72-5895-401B-AC10-F41DBD8D46CA.jpeg

Return to “Knife Mechanic's Swap Forum”