Spring for LB7?

Stop in hear to look for parts, parts knives, tools, materials, and other items for knife making & repair. Post pictures and descriptions of your extra stuff, ask if anyone has something you're looking to find and more.
Byrd

Spring for LB7?

Post by Byrd »

I,m looking for one of the roundwire s shaped springs for an LB7. Let me know if you can help!
If the thunder don't get you then the lightening will!
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Spring for LB7?

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

You don't necessarily need a round piece of spring pin steel. I have fixed more than one of the big lock blade Schrades using an Allen wrench for a replacement spring. After you take out the pivot pin, take the small end of the L shaped Allen wrench to test to see what size will fit into the spring recess slot. After this is determined, cut off the short end of the L with a Dremel cut off wheel. Slip the Allen wrench piece down into the slot, compress the new "spring to re assemble the rocker pin. Done. Show is an Uncle Henry LB8 that I fixed this way.
IMG_3525.JPG
IMG_3526.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Here is another one, a Craftsman 95206 that is probably identical to a Schrade that I fixed with an Allen wrench for a spring.
IMG_3527.JPG
IMG_3528.JPG
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Now that is just too cool.
I didn't know an allen key had any spring to it...
I am going to have to file that knowledge away for future use!

::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Meridian_Mike wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:46 pm Now that is just too cool.
I didn't know an allen key had any spring to it...
I am going to have to file that knowledge away for future use!

Allen wrenches have to be hardened or they would round off the corners too easily. I cut them with a Dremel cutoff wheel because they are too hard for a hacksaw blade to cut.
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Very good!
Now that I think about it, I remember some of the smaller ones flexing a bit during use.
Thanks for that info!!!

orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I have also used the end of the coil spring from squeeze clamps. Harbor Freight sells clamps that are about 3 inches long and have a coil spring in the middle with the end of the spring being straight. It is attached inside of the paddles that you squeeze to open the clamp. I use a Dremel cut off wheel and cut the straight arm off the spring off at the coil. It works great for an LB7, in fact you have to cut a little more off usually. You can get two springs out of one little clamp which are sometimes on sale for a dollar or less. ::tu::

You can also buy spring steel bars from Jantz supply. They have them in 6 inch links and I think they have some of them in 12 inch links, at least they used to. You will have to file down the bar to size but that shouldn't take too much. ::nod::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Another great idea!
Thanks so much for that input Dale!
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

Wow! Thanks guys! What an easy solution. I have a small drawer full of allen wrenches that I can use. As always I appreciate the feedback, help and advise.
If the thunder don't get you then the lightening will!
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Meridian_Mike wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:34 pm Very good!
Now that I think about it, I remember some of the smaller ones flexing a bit during use.
Thanks for that info!!!

I have a good set of Allen wrenches that have considerable flex to them when I use them, especially twisting. I have also had inexpensive Allen wrenches that broke when I exerted a lot of twisting on them. I think they were not annealed enough and were still too hard.

It is good to know about using an Allen wrench as a spring. However, before I do that I think I will try and devise a test to determine how flexible versus how brittle a particular Allen wrench is, because like a lot of guys I have a drawer full of Allen wrenches. Unless the brand name is stamped on the wrench itself I have no clue as to its origin. I would hate to get an Allen wrench spring installed in a knife, only to have it break a few days later. ::dang::

Definitely good information OC, thanks for sharing it! ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

orvet wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:54 pm
Meridian_Mike wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:34 pm Very good!
Thanks for that info!!!

I have a good set of Allen wrenches that have considerable flex to them when I use them, especially twisting. I have also had inexpensive Allen wrenches that broke when I exerted a lot of twisting on them. I think they were not annealed enough and were still too hard.

It is good to know about using an Allen wrench as a spring. However, before I do that I think I will try and devise a test to determine how flexible versus how brittle a particular Allen wrench is, because like a lot of guys I have a drawer full of Allen wrenches. Unless the brand name is stamped on the wrench itself I have no clue as to its origin. I would hate to get an Allen wrench spring installed in a knife, only to have it break a few days later. ::dang::

Definitely good information OC, thanks for sharing it! ::tu::
I should have added a couple of useful details in addition to what I already posted. When cutting the short leg of the Allen wrench off, cut it so you leave a little of the rounded corner to rub on the spring. Or radius the end so you don't have a square, sharp corner that will gouge into the locking lever. Length will have to be determined, then cut the opposite end from the one that is radiused. On the Uncle Henry I showed above, I removed the rocker pin to install the Allen wrench spring. On the Craftsman shown above, I did not remove the center pin, or dis assemble the knife, but cut the Allen wrench to length, laid it down into the knife, and using a piece of brass rod, gave it a tap with a hammer to pop the spring into place. About a 2 second installation of the new spring. I don't think this application will bend an Allen wrench enough to cause any problems with breakage. Just make sure you check the fit of the Allen wrench into the retaining slot so it is snug.
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Very good!!
I LIKE this thread!!

Tony_Wood

Post by Tony_Wood »

Good info, fellas.
Never thought of using an ALLEN wrench.
https://m.facebook.com/sheepsfootknives/?ref=bookmarks

Instagram: #sheepsfootknivesbytwood
loonyone

Post by loonyone »

This is an awesome thread! One concerning facet I have with my broken spring is that the broken piece is still locked in and I can’t seem to pry it out. With the latest tip, not removing the pivot pin, this won’t work for me.
What’s is the simplest method to remove the pin? I’ve had this knife for almost 45 years so don’t want to screw it up
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

loonyone wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:50 pm This is an awesome thread! One concerning facet I have with my broken spring is that the broken piece is still locked in and I can’t seem to pry it out. With the latest tip, not removing the pivot pin, this won’t work for me.
What’s is the simplest method to remove the pin? I’ve had this knife for almost 45 years so don’t want to screw it up
I can't answer your questions L.O., ::shrug:: but check back to this thread because someone will eventually see it and likely have answers for you. And BTW, ::welcome:: to AAPK! ::handshake:: 8)
8)

Return to “Knife Mechanic's Swap Forum”