Fixed blade blanks

Stop in hear to look for parts, parts knives, tools, materials, and other items for knife making & repair. Post pictures and descriptions of your extra stuff, ask if anyone has something you're looking to find and more.
Toejammer

Fixed blade blanks

Post by Toejammer »

Anyone have a preferred source for fixed blade blanks ? I used to be able to find restorable offerings on eBay, but not so much now. And a lot of the dealers on there are peddling imported (china, paki, etc...) crap. I used to use Premium Knife Supply for blanks when I was building daggers for renaissance fairs and such. They don't care if it's "china" as long as it looks cool ! :roll:

I'm not big on Damascus, which seems to be all the rage now, since Forged in Fire started showing. I like D2 and spring steel basically. I don't have the shop tools to forge my own, though I can get a rough shape cut with an angle grinder and go from there.

Don't want to spend huge $$, but will go "mom and pop" if it helps someone out.

Mike
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
Bruce Lee
Meridian_Mike

Re: Fixed blade blanks

Post by Meridian_Mike »

I have gotten several from Alabama Damascus. They have several different shapes and grinds... Yep, damascus but if you sand the face, the damascus "lines" go away. US made.... just my $.02 worth.

http://www.alabamadamascussteel.com/dam ... fe-blades/

::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Have you tried Jantz Knife Supply
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Toejammer wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:55 pm Anyone have a preferred source for fixed blade blanks ? I used to be able to find restorable offerings on eBay, but not so much now. And a lot of the dealers on there are peddling imported (china, paki, etc...) crap. I used to use Premium Knife Supply for blanks when I was building daggers for renaissance fairs and such. They don't care if it's "china" as long as it looks cool ! :roll:

I'm not big on Damascus, which seems to be all the rage now, since Forged in Fire started showing. I like D2 and spring steel basically. I don't have the shop tools to forge my own, though I can get a rough shape cut with an angle grinder and go from there.

Mike
Mike I sent you a PM regarding some fixed blade blanks that I have.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Toejammer

Post by Toejammer »

Meridian_Mike wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:47 am I have gotten several from Alabama Damascus. They have several different shapes and grinds... Yep, damascus but if you sand the face, the damascus "lines" go away. US made.... just my $.02 worth.

thanks I'll check em out !
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
Bruce Lee
Toejammer

Post by Toejammer »

edge213 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:43 pm
Toejammer wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:55 pm Anyone have a preferred source for fixed blade blanks ? I used to be able to find restorable offerings on eBay, but not so much now. And a lot of the dealers on there are peddling imported (china, paki, etc...) crap. I used to use Premium Knife Supply for blanks when I was building daggers for renaissance fairs and such. They don't care if it's "china" as long as it looks cool ! :roll:

Mike
Mike I sent you a PM regarding some fixed blade blanks that I have.
Thanks !
Bruce Lee
Toejammer

Post by Toejammer »

kennedy knives wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:02 pm Have you tried Jantz Knife Supply
Bingo ! Forgot all about Jantz, been awhile. I had to dig a bit, past all the kitchen cutlery, but found the hunters / bowie patterns. ::tu::

Thanks !
Bruce Lee
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Meridian_Mike wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:47 am I have gotten several from Alabama Damascus. They have several different shapes and grinds... Yep, damascus but if you sand the face, the damascus "lines" go away. US made.... just my $.02 worth.

That is very true, if you sand it the Damascus lines will go away however they are pretty easy to restore. Jantz also sells ferric chloride which is what you dip the Damascus blade in to bring out the pattern. Read the instructions, because you should neutralize the acid after the ferric chloride. Trisodium phosphate works to neutralize it but so does a good bath in baking soda and water.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan

Return to “Knife Mechanic's Swap Forum”