how to fix very loose blade of early 1800s Spanish pocket knife

Stop in hear to look for parts, parts knives, tools, materials, and other items for knife making & repair. Post pictures and descriptions of your extra stuff, ask if anyone has something you're looking to find and more.
mdpmedia1

how to fix very loose blade of early 1800s Spanish pocket knife

Post by mdpmedia1 »

I'd like to figure out how to make the spring snap back like it was originally made to do. Right now it sticks out leaving a small space between the blade's end and the spring; this causes the blade not to tightly close.
spanish pocket knife w. star stamped on.JPG
spanish pocket knife w. star stamped sidebysidee- OK closed.JPG
spanish pocket knife w. star stamped sidebysidee- not OK open.JPG
Doc B

Re: how to fix very loose blade of early 1800s Spanish pocket knife

Post by Doc B »

Welcome to AAPK!
If it's side-to-side wobble / play...it often can be improved upon, by peening the pivot pin of the blade. Be careful...or you could peen it too tight. I usually put a .30mm feeler gauge, as a spacer, so I don't over-peen. Up and down movement on the blade is generally much more difficult to fix. Often, it's indicative of wear on the blade tang and / or spring. Very fine welding skills and heat treatment issues make this a seldom done repair.
::welcome::
::handshake::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Welcome knife friend!
If the spring is loose and it is pushed away by the blade upon opening (as you described), then the "rocker pin" or the point where the spring is pinned in the center may be loose or sheared.

The rocker pin can be removed and replaced with a pin that has no wear at the spring's rocker hole.

One note.... I sure hope the spring isn't broken at the rocker hole. That would mean you will have to replace the spring.

Good luck!
::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

it is hard to tell from the picture alone but this should be the positions where each pin is located.....
spanish pocket knife.JPG
Let us know what you find.
:)
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Does the blade snap open, but not closed? If so, then that tells me the spring or rocker pin probably isn't broken. If no snap in either direction, then broken spring or pin like Mike suggested.

Did this just start happening? If you got it like that, then the tang may be worn. That wear usually affects closing snap more than opening snap. A worn tang on certain patterns, like congress knives, will make the blade sit high, and the blade literally will not stay closed all the way.

I have also had a experience with springs that aren't properly tempered, and lose their "spring. They'll have some spring, but not enough to keep the blade from flopping around.
mdpmedia1

Post by mdpmedia1 »

Here's a video that should clarify your inquiries:

[youtube]https://youtu.be/2IYEyiyffas[/youtube]

I'd also simply like to know the manufacturer, country, city and time stamp for this piece.

Finally, I need opinions on how to perform the repair myself, how much this would cost to have a pro repair it, the value of the knife before/after the repair and if this type of knife has much demand.
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Hard for me to say...but it almost seems that the rocker pin hole (within the spring and / or handles) may have not been ideally placed. That would cause the spring to stick out, like it is now. It may have been like this from the beginning. I'm no navaja knife expert...but It's possible this was made by a local maker. I was stationed in Turkey and knives were made in little shops, by local knife makers. They turned out knives, that looked very similar to yours. I'm not sure how you could date it to the early 1800's. I'd be interested if anyone here on the site could help in those regards.
I'm guessing one of 3 things would correct it.
1) a new spring, with hole in correct position, to close up the spacing you inserted the object in to.
2) Additon (welding of medal, to spring), to close space and put additional tension on the blade
3) New handles, with rocker pin hole in a position, that would close the spacing...but that gets rid of the nice handles.
I'm unable to give any info on, maker, date or value. I don't believe these knives bring very much money, that would warrant paying someone to fix it. I would just enjoy it as it is.
***These are my personal...non-expert opinions. I'll be watching to see what others say.
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Based on the video, looks like it could use a kick. Reminds me of the Laguioles, they don't have much any kick, and also tend to rap the spring also.

If it had a kick, it would provide pressure against the spring, but that may have made the blade stick up above the covers.

Maybe it was just built like that...

Return to “Knife Mechanic's Swap Forum”