Looking for a Marbles Pommel

Stop in hear to look for parts, parts knives, tools, materials, and other items for knife making & repair. Post pictures and descriptions of your extra stuff, ask if anyone has something you're looking to find and more.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Looking for a Marbles Pommel

Post by herbva »

I need a pommel for a Marbles M.S.A. CO. I think the original pommel on this knife was stag or lignum vitae. Thanks.
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Looking for a Marbles Pommel

Post by 1967redrider »

I hope you find one, Herb. 😉👍
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

The MSA lignum vitae pommels were symmetrical, not offset like most of the later aluminum pommels. Would be easy for a wood shop to make you one and probably a lot easier than finding an old one especially since sometimes the wood pommels cracked and fell off. A couple minutes on a wood lathe by an experienced turner should be all it would take.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Gunsil wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:36 pm The MSA lignum vitae pommels were symmetrical, not offset like most of the later aluminum pommels. Would be easy for a wood shop to make you one and probably a lot easier than finding an old one especially since sometimes the wood pommels cracked and fell off. A couple minutes on a wood lathe by an experienced turner should be all it would take.
Thanks Gunsil, good to know, and I will keep that in mind as a "Plan B". :D
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

I wouldn't expect any Marble's/MSA pommel to fit the knife you have. Another pommel might fit but the odds are highly against it. I have several MSA lignum vitea pommel knives and the pommels are all different to the point I doubt any would interchange and fit correctly. The pommel bases are oval rather than round and all are different on nearly any measurment you can take.

Best bet would be to have the raw material and knife in hand and fit the material to the knife you have. There is plenty of lignum vitea wood for sale on the net. Drill the hole for the threaded tang, inlet the pommel base for the flat of the tang and then drill the top for the barrel nut. After the wood fits flush you can form it to the outer handle dimensions of the knife handle. A lot of measuring and fitting goes into this process along the way so not a simple task. The same process could be used for stag but it would be harder to have the stag look correct.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Nothing ventured, nothing gained, Herb. We can still be hopeful.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Return to “Knife Mechanic's Swap Forum”