Need help in finding a knife

Stop in hear to look for parts, parts knives, tools, materials, and other items for knife making & repair. Post pictures and descriptions of your extra stuff, ask if anyone has something you're looking to find and more.
Alan0354

Need help in finding a knife

Post by Alan0354 »

Just curious anyone here are like me that open the knives up and look at the inside? I find quite a few that I opened are quite disturbing. I posted on another thread so I am not going to repeat here, here is the link:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=77117

I am having trouble finding a knife I want for the reason above and also I want one with deep recess for the index finger as shown in the picture with RED curve marked on it. This is for safety so if I thrust, I don't want the knife to be pushed back into my hand.
Deep cut.jpg

I would like to see anyone of you have suggestion AND also can take picture or at least tell me the part that I am concerning. I hate to keep buying and returning them. It's not nice.

Thanks
dsutton24

Re: Need help in finding a knife

Post by dsutton24 »

The Gerber Gator leaps to mind.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Alan0354 wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:03 pm I would like to see anyone of you have suggestion
My suggestion is; don't thrust.
Joe
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

FRJ wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:22 pm
Alan0354 wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:03 pm I would like to see anyone of you have suggestion
My suggestion is; don't thrust.
^^^This!^^^ ::nod::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

:roll: When I see the transitive verb 'thrust' in a knife forum I immediately think of the intransitive verb 'fail.'
Alan0354

Post by Alan0354 »

I use knife for self defense, you bet I practice thrusting and shanking. That's the most important thing.

My question is more on the design of the knife, not what it's use for.
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Alan0354 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:09 amI use knife for self defense, you bet I practice thrusting and shanking
have you considered a fixed blade knife vs folding?
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Alan0354

Post by Alan0354 »

bestgear wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:26 am
Alan0354 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:09 amI use knife for self defense, you bet I practice thrusting and shanking
have you considered a fixed blade knife vs folding?
No, it's not legal in Calif.

Like I said, I come here for technical aspect of it, not how to use it or what. It' about the design of the knife. I want to find the most robust knife that is less than 3.5 inches.
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Alan0354 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:30 amNo, it's not legal in Calif.
true for concealed carry but any fixed blade knife can be carried openly in a sheath suspended from the waist but of course then the element of surprise is lost.

https://www.akti.org/state-knife-laws/california/
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Alan0354

Post by Alan0354 »

bestgear wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:37 am
Alan0354 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:30 amNo, it's not legal in Calif.
true for concealed carry but any fixed blade knife can be carried openly in a sheath suspended from the waist but of course then the element of surprise is lost.

https://www.akti.org/state-knife-laws/california/
That's not what I am looking for.
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

I gotcha …. Have you looked at the Gerber 06 FAST with G-10 handle for extra grip when wet, Tanto shaped blade is designed for thrusting, Pocket clip, blade length 3.75-Inch, Over all length 8.75-Inch?

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Gerber-06 ... ring--4255
Attachments
A8098A82-2EBB-43FE-A1FB-1F8ED30EE082.jpeg
Tom
AAPK Administrator

kris_kross

Post by kris_kross »

I tend to stay away from knives with ball bearings for a number of reasons. Ball bearings in a folding knife are an unnecessary complication to begin with, I like knives that are very simple in operation, less to go wrong. I like revolvers over automatics for the same reason. My advice would be to stay away from overdesigned "tactical" knives and find something simple that has stood the test of time.
Alan0354

Post by Alan0354 »

kris_kross wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:20 am I tend to stay away from knives with ball bearings for a number of reasons. Ball bearings in a folding knife are an unnecessary complication to begin with, I like knives that are very simple in operation, less to go wrong. I like revolvers over automatics for the same reason. My advice would be to stay away from overdesigned "tactical" knives and find something simple that has stood the test of time.
Thanks

I have been looking at Steel Will Lanner:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QQ ... 9PPN&psc=1

It has bronze washer instead of ball bearings. What other ones you can suggest?
Alan0354

Post by Alan0354 »

I know the ball bearings can cut into the structure. I did find one knife that is very robust, it's not expensive and I have to work on it to make it good.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09G2 ... R9AN&psc=1

Here is the picture of the part of the blade I talked about:
Laurisilva .053.jpg
The steel lining of the handle is 0.06" thick, the part of the blade between the 2 RED arrows is 0.053". It is the most robust of like 10 knives I have even though it's only $27. What are those engineers that design knives, it's not just one brand, it's of different brands like Kubey, Off-Grid, Sencut etc.

I have the Sencut Acumen
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09F6D95SC?ps ... ct_details

It looks very good outside. But if you look at the picture below, the part between the 2 Red arrows is 0.035"!!! That's thin:
SenCut thickness.jpg

This is Off-Grid Enforcer that is supposed to be very tuff. Yes, they did not cut into the blade, BUT, they thin out the steel lining on both sides, it's like paper thin:
Off-Grid Enforcer thickness.jpg

Don't they even THINK before designing the knives? How stupid are they. They don't even have the simple common sense!!!

I want to ask here for suggestions before I order another one, I hate to buy, look and return if it's not good. I've been on youtube searching for disassembly videos, I can't find the ones I like.
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

You are overthinking this self defense picture you seem to have in your head.
In the 1/10,000,000,000 chance that you must defend yourself with a knife,
all the shanking, prying, over-wrought effort, to the point of breaking the knife ..... ::uc::

That is just vigilantism !
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
Alan0354

Post by Alan0354 »

royal0014 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:26 pm You are overthinking this self defense picture you seem to have in your head.
In the 1/10,000,000,000 chance that you must defend yourself with a knife,
all the shanking, prying, over-wrought effort, to the point of breaking the knife ..... ::uc::

That is just vigilantism !

I thought this is technical forum about knife, I am not here to talk about strategy or method of fighting, it's all about the mechanical and construction of knife. I am not going to carry on or justify this. If you have things to add about the technical aspect of this, let me know.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

How about a SOG Vulcan? I have one and it's great for thrusting and not too shabby as a shanker either. It has the arc lock system to protect against unplanned blade closure. There is excellent jimping for both the thumb and the index finger when utilizing the standard thrusting grip.

Here's a link to a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7xw51mYbL4

They are discontinued but still readily available on ebay.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Alan0354

Post by Alan0354 »

Other than Steel Will, what other brand that doesn't use ball bearings for blade pivot? I want to find other middle of the road knives that has no ball bearings.
kris_kross

Post by kris_kross »

I'm a big fan of the kershaw leek. Opens faster than an auto and is a great size for edc. Relatively cheap and made in usa also.
eveled

Post by eveled »

Alan0354 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:30 am . I want to find the most robust knife that is less than 3.5 inches.
Buck 112
catspa

Post by catspa »

No bearings or washers in that, although some did have bushings. The single 112 I have in easy reach right now, a 2 dot, has a blade thickness of .117. That’s over twice as thick as your “good” example above.

The 110/112 action can easily be oiled enough that it readily pinches open, even with gloves on.
I have pried stuff, broken off the tip, and ground it back thicker. Eventually, I got back behind the swedge to where it’s sufficiently thick to pry stuff with.

Parker
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

catspa wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:48 am No bearings or washers in that, although some did have bushings. The single 112 I have in easy reach right now, a 2 dot, has a blade thickness of .117. That’s over twice as thick as your “good” example above.

The 110/112 action can easily be oiled enough that it readily pinches open, even with gloves on.
I have pried stuff, broken off the tip, and ground it back thicker. Eventually, I got back behind the swedge to where it’s sufficiently thick to pry stuff with.

Parker

Parker, the group consensus was this guy was a spammer/salesman for the type of knife he was pedaling. Just to bring you up to speed. ::nod::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
catspa

Post by catspa »

Oh. Okay well, I guess I’m dense enough to take his question seriously, but not dense enough to buy anything he’s selling.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Parker

Return to “Knife Mechanic's Swap Forum”