Mail Call, Post Your New GECs.

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Mail Call, Post Your New GECs.

Post by edge213 »

kootenay joe wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:18 am
edge213 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:50 am
kootenay joe wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:42 pm A cap lifter blade was a useful tool until about 30 ? years ago. Since then nearly all bottle caps are twist off.
I think GEC would have made a more useful knife by choosing some other implement for the secondary blade. Maybe a can opener or even better, a liner lock saw blade with a slot screwdriver tip.
kj
There are a lot of craft beers and ciders in the U.S. that are not twist offs. You need a cap lifter/ bottle opener to get the bottle opened.
I had 3 this evening.
O.K. In Canada even the small craft beer companies use twist off caps. I have not met a 'non=twist off' cap in years. I had assumed it would be the same in USA as it is usually Canada that lags behind in implementing changes.
kj

It's not lagging behind. It's intentionally doing it the old way. Higher quality??
Not the mass produced way of doing things.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Quote: "Not the mass produced way of doing things."
Whether twist off or lift off, both are mass produced.
The twist off caps seal properly. Carbonated drinks still have 'full fizz'.
I quit drinking alcohol about 20 years ago so i could be wrong in thinking that all Canadian beer in glass have twist off caps. All non-alcoholic drinks that i buy have twist off.
kj
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

kootenay joe wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:47 am Quote: "Not the mass produced way of doing things."
Whether twist off or lift off, both are mass produced.
The twist off caps seal properly. Carbonated drinks still have 'full fizz'.
I quit drinking alcohol about 20 years ago so i could be wrong in thinking that all Canadian beer in glass have twist off caps. All non-alcoholic drinks that i buy have twist off.
kj
I guess "mass produced" were probably the wrong words to say.
I meant most of the smaller breweries are using bottles where a cap lifter is needed (all of my friends who brew use this type also).
Not like the big major breweries like Budweiser, Miller, Coors.
I hope this makes more sense Roland.

It's been 20 years, have a beer! Twist off or pop off........doesn't matter ::tu::
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Quote: "It's been 20 years, have a beer! Twist off or pop off........doesn't matter ::tu::"
It is very tempting but i am afraid that within a week or two i would be drinking every day, starting with beer for breakfast. Addiction doesn't go away, it just hides itself somewhere inside waiting for an opportunity to 'drive the bus' again.
kj
handyone

Post by handyone »

Got my dead skunk in the mail Sat. and completed my EDC look on Sun.
dead skunk EDC.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Is that a matching ballpoint pen ? Very attractive set !
kj
handyone

Post by handyone »

yes it is. Found the acrylic at the local woodworking supply store so popped it on the lathe and had enough left over for the lanyard bead.
texoma
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by texoma »

cool looking trio dead skunk set, at first I didn't see the lanyard bead ::tu::
Frank

Want 85 RHK Antique Walnut Jig Bone & other Harness Jacks
Trade & Buy List Link https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/wtt ... s.1884432/
Retirement is a time to enjoy the things you never could before
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

handyone wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:57 am Got my dead skunk in the mail Sat. and completed my EDC look on Sun.

dead skunk EDC.jpg

Beautiful set, nice lathe work, great photo. Never saw a GEC 85 I didn't like either. Congrats, they're harder and harder to get.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Buckibbq
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Buckibbq »

One of my recent pickups from the GEC factory store...
Attachments
E2D6BF8D-8529-48B4-83F0-683E645C044F.jpeg
I’m a long time collector in search of rare and limited GEC AND Northwoods knives. Always looking to add ivory pieces to my collection. PM to discuss sales or trades, please!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Buckibbq wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:43 am One of my recent pickups from the GEC factory store...
I am green with envy.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Buckibbq wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:43 am One of my recent pickups from the GEC factory store...

Ohhhhhhhhhyyyeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaah, beautiful Buckibbq. Congrats, might be my favorite GEC pattern. That is the kind.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Always missed out on the original releases of these so never got an AAPK of any year. These came out in '17. Been back burner watching since then and saw one or two go by over the years for much higher than I would pay. But this one's seller had it listed for a high BIN price, no auction or bids, months ago and no takers. He lowered the price, still no takers. Lowered it again. Nothing. This kept happening for weeks until he had given it 5 price reductions and to me it seemed more than reasonable. Figured better get it before it's gone. Persistence. Months of it. So thankful to finally get an AAPK edition and I preferred this over any of the '17 run as far as trim and color go. And I love a good 2 blade single spring. The action is very smooth, no half stop, great pull and action and snap. Sometimes you get one that's even better than you hoped for. This is one.
Attachments
thumbnail_20210412_124045.jpg
thumbnail_20210412_123003.jpg
thumbnail_20210412_122851.jpg
Northfield Churchhill AAPK 351217 jigged red bone
Northfield Churchhill AAPK 351217 jigged red bone
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Ivoryman wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:19 pm Always missed out on the original releases of these so never got an AAPK of any year. These came out in '17. Been back burner watching since then and saw one or two go by over the years for much higher than I would pay. But this one's seller had it listed for a high BIN price, no auction or bids, months ago and no takers. He lowered the price, still no takers. Lowered it again. Nothing. This kept happening for weeks until he had given it 5 price reductions and to me it seemed more than reasonable. Figured better get it before it's gone. Persistence. Months of it. So thankful to finally get an AAPK edition and I preferred this over any of the '17 run as far as trim and color go. And I love a good 2 blade single spring. The action is very smooth, no half stop, great pull and action and snap. Sometimes you get one that's even better than you hoped for. This is one.
Niiiiice one!!! Sometimes patience pays off; clearly this was one of those times. Apparently the "GEC Angels" are watching over you ::nod::
Great score. ::tu:: ::tu::
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Thank you Q, appreciate it, know you know what it's like to hunt something long and hard. Gods must be smiling. And it really looks better than sellers pics so another bonus and it's not old Case red bone, but it is a likeable tint. I'll take whatever crumbs they throw me and like it when seeking the Great Eastern's like this. Probably only made about a hundred of these. Rare bird to me.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

A very special and attractive knife Iman ::nod::
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Thanks doglegg, feel lucky to have it. Well pretty much happy to have any GEC these days. Thanks again.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The #35 is one of my favorite GEC patterns and the 2017 AAPK #35 that I-man scored looks Great. I would love to find one too but with the border closed i cannot use my USA shipping address and very few sellers ship to Canada. So, no new GEC's for me for over 1 year now.
kj
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Very nice! ::tu::
David
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Doc B wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:47 am Just got this in. Can't believe there are still some of these on the shelf. Beautiful, in hand!
15 Bail & Chain.jpg
Excellent! ::tu::
David
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Couple GEC 38 English Whittlers.
Attachments
IMG_7165.JPG
David
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

DM11 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:50 pm Couple GEC 38 English Whittlers.
I wouldn't mind having one but they're just too rich for my blood. ::facepalm:: (and too dadgummed hard to acquire)
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Jerry, I got these from dealers while still not cheap still cheaper than the bay. I have a friend with a fast computer who knows how to work the system. So between the both of us Im usually able to get the ones a want with out paying flipper prices. Which I won't pay flipper prices any way. I would have been happy to have gotten one of them. To have gotten both of them is almost unbelievable. GEC really did an excellent job on these.
David
Buckibbq
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Buckibbq »

Latest trio of GEC English Whittlers
C7944AC6-613B-4A5A-B116-DFA00EE7C4C5.jpeg
I’m a long time collector in search of rare and limited GEC AND Northwoods knives. Always looking to add ivory pieces to my collection. PM to discuss sales or trades, please!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

DM11 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:18 pm Jerry, I got these from dealers while still not cheap still cheaper than the bay. I have a friend with a fast computer who knows how to work the system. So between the both of us Im usually able to get the ones a want with out paying flipper prices. Which I won't pay flipper prices any way. I would have been happy to have gotten one of them. To have gotten both of them is almost unbelievable. GEC really did an excellent job on these.
David, it's always good to have friends and sometimes for reasons other than knives. :D
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”