Mail Call, Post Your New GECs.

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Mail Call, Post Your New GECs.

Post by jerryd6818 »

You missed the [/quote] at the end of the quote
Log Cabin Knives wrote:Thanks, I think I got it......kinda ::smirk:: ::handshake::

Still find it odd that I have number 17 of supposedly only 5 made. ::hmm::
You're not all by your lonesome. I also find that odd. In spite of all that, it is a very handsome knife.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
RAMROD

Post by RAMROD »

YOU WOULD THINK THAT IF IT WAS #17 OF ANY RUN, THAT 17 WOULD BE ETCHED/STAMPED ON THE BOLSTER. ALL THE SERIALIZED KNIVES I HAVE ARE NUMBERED. I THINK THE LABEL IS WRONG, BUT WHAT DO I KNOW. :lol:
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Log Cabin Knives wrote:Hi Jerry, I haven't figured out how to do that copy and paste thing everybody does to answer a specific question on the page yet, so bear with me....... To answer your question "Did you know they only made five #61's with those handles? As far as I'm concerned, they could do it again. I like it." .......I went to GEC's site and saw that only 5 were made, but the tube says a total of 27 were made and this one is number 17. I've always found the GEC site to be accurate and have referenced it many times. What's your (or anybody else's) best guess for the discrepancy? Thanks, Rich :?
jerryd6818 wrote:As far as your knife being one of five, that's what it says in the 2009 Production Totals for the #613409. It doesn't show anymore made. Just the five from the "Factory Test Run". Those "Production Totals" are all we have to go on. ::shrug::
kootenay joe wrote:There have been omissions and mistakes in GEC's Production Totals. What is written on the tube(v. early GEC's) or cap, is correct. With so many patterns and so many handle & blade options it seems inevitable that some of the numbers entered are not correct.
kj
To further complicate matters, I suspect that there may exist a fairly significant number of knives from the early (Daniels family) years of GEC that didn’t have any packaging or paperwork and don’t show up in the published production totals.

One of the last knife shows where I had a dealer’s table was held during the latter half of 2008 in a convention centre on the side of Interstate 71 near Wilmington, Ohio. Ryan Daniels was set up at this show representing Great Eastern Cutlery. During the course of the show, Ryan tried to convince me that we should sell GEC knives in our shop. When I stopped at Ryan’s tables to talk to him on the final day of the show, I noticed that he had five or six 3-bladed cattle knives with snakewood handles lying loose in the corner of one of his showcases. At the time, I had a fascination with snakewood and asked him about these knives. They were GEC (acorn shield, stainless steel blades) #538308 “Cuban Stockman” knives with no serial numbers. Ryan told me that these #53s were overruns from a special production run and as such were being sold without serial numbers or tubes. I picked out four of these knives to purchase. Ryan quoted me a decent price for the knives and told me they were being sold “cash only – no receipt” for “sales tax reasons”. I returned to my table, pulled a copy of my vendor’s license and a blanket Certificate of Exemption from my briefcase, handed these papers and the agreed upon amount of money to Ryan, and asked for a receipt for my purchase. Oddly enough, Ryan was unable to find his receipt book and alleged that he would mail the receipt to our store. I never received a receipt. I’ll let the reader draw their own conclusions as to why these knives were sold in this manner.

According to the 2008 Production Totals page on Great Eastern Cutlery’s website, a total of thirty-three snakewood-handled #538308s were produced in 2008—all were serialised. According to GECs Christine Tucker, the knives that I purchased from Ryan should never have existed. I subsequently sold two of the four knives; the other two still reside in my collection. In the past several years, I have noticed that a few of these non-serialised snakewood GEC #538308s have shown up on both eBay and the AAPK Store—in every case that I have seen the seller noted that the packing tube was missing.

http://greateasterncutlery.net/blog/wp- ... ALS-21.pdf

TLDR:
During the early years of Great Eastern Cutlery, knives may have been sold by GEC owners or employees that were incorrectly packaged and do not appear in GEC’s “official” production totals.
Josh

/|\

“Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature, unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping.”
— Hubert Reeves
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

I got this one in today and while it is a nice knife as far as fit and finish , snap and other goodies I just can't warm up to most of these Tidioutes. They just look plain and bland . I will be on the hunt for a stag Northfield. ::nod::
Attachments
IMG_5559 (3).JPG
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I agree Greg, the knife does not have any 'instant appeal'. Also the red is too 'bright', almost a 'neon' look or like a red licorice stick. Some of the Tidioutes do look great in their 'plain-ness', those with uniform black ebony come to mind.
Did all of the red jigged bone come out as bright a red as yours ?
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Mine doesn’t look that red at all, mine are more of a maroon color and I really like it.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

kootenay joe wrote:I agree Greg, the knife does not have any 'instant appeal'. Also the red is too 'bright', almost a 'neon' look or like a red licorice stick. Some of the Tidioutes do look great in their 'plain-ness', those with uniform black ebony come to mind.
kj
Roland mine is the Blood red jigged bone. I think the Elderberry jigged bone is more of a reddish brown and looks much better.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

gsmith7158 wrote:
kootenay joe wrote:I agree Greg, the knife does not have any 'instant appeal'. Also the red is too 'bright', almost a 'neon' look or like a red licorice stick. Some of the Tidioutes do look great in their 'plain-ness', those with uniform black ebony come to mind.
kj
Roland mine is the Blood red jigged bone. I think the Elderberry jigged bone is more of a reddish brown and looks much better.
I really like the red.
I have 2 GEC in elderberry, it's more purple, at least to me.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Here is my elderberry 92 Eureka.
Attachments
20190925_114605.jpg
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

20190917_171403.jpg
Recently pucked up the cocobola version to go with stag and bone. Great pattern, thanks kj
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

edge213 wrote:Here is my elderberry 92 Eureka.
I have an Elderberry 92 on the way. According to USPS tracking, it's here in town and should be delivered tomorrow. It will match up with the Elderberry Dixie Possum Skinner & the Elderberry Dixie Stockman. ::ds::

"I'm so excited. I just can't hide it. I'm about to loose control and I think I'll like it."

Edit: It's here and I like it as much as I thought I would.
Attachments
GEC 922219 Eureka Jack Elderberry Jigged Bone - Labeled.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Rob, your 44 pattern knives look great ! The Stag looks top notch too. I do not understand why the GEC #44 Gunstock pattern is not wildly popular. GEC got everything 'just right' on these knives; smooth action, no play, great fit and finish and yet there are still some available at some of the dealers.
With vintage knives, the gunstock pattern is highly valued yet these 44's have not been received with the enthusiasm i think they deserve.
Likely when the final few get sold, then more GEC collectors will want one and prices will rise somewhat.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Long time for no new posts here. Come on how about showing us your 'new' GEC knives, particularly ones that are not the most recent run. Oldies are Goodies here.
Here is a 2007 #73 pattern Tidioute with Smooth Ivory Bone handles. I bought this from the guy who got it from Ryan Daniels (part owner of GEC at the time).
Oddly i am finding it hard to bond with this knife. There is nothing wrong with it and it has the flush & square joint which i really like, so i don't know why it does not speak to me.
If it speaks to you, feel free to let me know.
kj
Attachments
IMGP7826.JPG
IMGP7830.JPG
IMGP7829.JPG
IMGP7827.JPG
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The #35 Churchill is one of my favorite GEC patterns: 2 blades & 1 spring = a slender capable pocket knife.
This one is 351217 Northfield with "Smooth Yellow Rose Bone".
kj
Attachments
IMGP7832.JPG
IMGP7833.JPG
IMGP7835.JPG
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

Austin at TPK was kind enough to hand select this Bull Moose for me. It's my only moose, I was drawn to the 81 pattern frame and the ebony scales.
2017 GEC Bull Moose Gabon ebony
2017 GEC Bull Moose Gabon ebony
Trace
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

That was the AAPK Forum knife for 2014. Not that particular knife of course.
Attachments
2014 AAPK by GEC, received 1-2-15 $100 .JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

jerryd6818 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:33 pm That was the AAPK Forum knife for 2014. Not that particular knife of course.
That is a gorgeous knife, wish I'd been around here when it was released. I think GEC red bone has to be a favorite of mine although I only have one example.
Trace
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Jerry the AAPK Moose is on a #54 frame i believe whereas rotten's Moose is on the "Outlaw" #81 frame and is i think more rare. Certainly it is rarely seen.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is a very nice #62 "Maverick" from 2012 with Snakewood handles. It is an odd pattern that i have never seen in a vintage knife. The frame is a Congress which usually has 4 blades. A "Half Congress" has 2 blades, one at either end. There are 3 blade Congress Whittlers but i have not seen a 3 blade Congress with this blade arrangement. However it is a very slick, sleek pattern, a lovely knife.
kj
Attachments
IMGP7836.JPG
IMGP7838.JPG
IMGP7840.JPG
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

kootenay joe wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:40 pm Here is a very nice #62 "Maverick" from 2012 with Snakewood handles. It is an odd pattern that i have never seen in a vintage knife. The frame is a Congress which usually has 4 blades. A "Half Congress" has 2 blades, one at either end. There are 3 blade Congress Whittlers but i have not seen a 3 blade Congress with this blade arrangement. However it is a very slick, sleek pattern, a lovely knife.
kj
Definitely a Maverick stockman there. As a stockman fan I have looked at them to add to my pile but just haven't pulled the trigger yet.
Trace
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

I agree, that is such a good looking knife and pattern ::tu:: . Glad you got your hands on one 8) .
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

kootenay joe wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:40 pm Here is a very nice #62 "Maverick" from 2012 with Snakewood handles. It is an odd pattern that i have never seen in a vintage knife. The frame is a Congress which usually has 4 blades. A "Half Congress" has 2 blades, one at either end. There are 3 blade Congress Whittlers but i have not seen a 3 blade Congress with this blade arrangement. However it is a very slick, sleek pattern, a lovely knife.
kj
kj, that is one of my favorite patterns. Those snakewood handles are marvelous. I have one in Kingwood and one for sale that is bone. It’s a unique knife and very easy to carry. So slim you could forget it’s in the pocket.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
mightyzaa3

Post by mightyzaa3 »

'tis a fine looking snakewood maverick. had one a few weeks ago. glad it found a new home. I do have the autumn leaf clawed bone. can never ever get rid of it. my daughter helped name it in a contest when she was only 12 years old. seems so long ago.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Yesterdays mail call.
#61 Green bone from 2011. Number 20 out of 35. Beautiful condition, wonderful knife, just like my other #61 ::super_happy::
Attachments
DSCN2225.JPG
DSCN2226.JPG
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Very knice WillyC. ::nod:: ::tu::

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”