GEC woods

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
HiPower

GEC woods

Post by HiPower »

tooth,bocote--scout,snakewood--lockback,ebony--pioneer,bubinga--scout,rosewood & a odd one the minkskinner in abalone. the rosewood is a left hander & also gec did some other woods--please show if you wish.---HiPower
HiPower
Earl

Re: GEC woods

Post by Earl »

Nice line up HiPower ::tu:: I'm guilty of not having many "woods",one cocob,couple ebony's mostly snakewood in my keep. Wish they did some ironwood,and burls on the larger patterns.
IMBand

Post by IMBand »

Here is one in jigged wood.

IM
Attachments
103_0719-35.JPG
AAPK #6581
knifemaker3

Post by knifemaker3 »

Just curious.....are they using stablized woods on their knives or have you noticed any shrinkage at all?

I know at times on knives I've made or bought that have wood handles that unless they were stablized I would get a very small amount of shrinkage in the handle.

Can't tell from the pics if they use stablized or not?????

By the way....those sure are pretty! ::groove::
God Bless!

Craig Blankenship
Booger County Outfitters LLC.

Maker of Custom Knives and Custom Screenprinted Garments
HiPower

Post by HiPower »

i believe nearly every wood gec uses is natural. most of these are fairly hard & some will never need any process to remain as same. coco,rose & ebony has considerable natural oils. one thing is snakewood might do with a little wax every now & then, thanks everyone for looking.--HiPower
HiPower
knifemaker3

Post by knifemaker3 »

I've had ironwood, snakewood, and other exotics that shouldn't shrink that did in the winter in a wood heated house. I would think they would stablize them to keep this from happening.......I've also had wood that was really really dry that I put on handles of knives swell when the humidity went up and cause it to crack......

I do like a wood handled knife though and those look good! May have to get me some of them!
God Bless!

Craig Blankenship

big monk

Post by big monk »

Nice show of "'Woodies"", Dennis !!!!!! ::tu:: _________ here's a few of mine :)

I,don't really know,the answer,to Craig's question ( any shrinkage---stablized wood)????_______since the company has only been in business,for 5 years ::hmm:: I guess,we'll all wait awhile,and see,if there is shrinkage in the handles --- none of the ones,I have,show any signs of shrinkage,the first few years :) ____________Monk ::tu::
Attachments
Beaver Tail Mink Skinner (front).JPG
Great Eastern Snakewood Jacks F.JPG
Great Eastern #33 Ancient Kauri Wood B.JPG
2011 GEC #462211 Whaler F.JPG
I'm not young enough,____to know everything !!!!!!!!!!!!

MONK****
HiPower

Post by HiPower »

it's true that the short time gec has been in business ca'nt act as an indicator of wood stability. one factor is that the founders of gec come from lots of experience in a very old company --[queen]. historically we see many 100 year plus knives with ebony ,coco &rose wood that shown little movement after century plus existance. my limited research in snakewood seems to show that larger scales such as hunters have a bad track record in cracking. statements from wood suppliers to industry say snakewood nearly always checks but still some companies supply bows for cellos & violins. i really try to put paste wax on my folders 2 or 3 times a year. i do'nt consider this a nuscience since we also need to wipe or wax carbon steels every now & then, interested parties can refer to the Janka Wood Hardness SCALE for more facts.---HiPower
HiPower
knifemaker3

Post by knifemaker3 »

Monk.....you answered my question....if it is going to shrink it usually does it the first time it gets in a drier climate with less humidity. Any wood can shrink slightly over a longer period of say 50-100 years. That is not what I was asking about.

If the handles don't show shrinkage away from the bolsters in the changes of the seasons within a period of a year they are usually not going to.....usually.

GOOD JOB GEC!!!!!!!!! ::ds:: Wood handles are the hardest to keep this from happening without stablizing them. That is why you see so many handles made from things such as bone, delrins, micartas, etc.

Thanks for showing.....now I'm going to have to go on a hunt for some GEC Woodies! ::groove::
God Bless!

Craig Blankenship

biglmbass

Post by biglmbass »

I like the variety of wood GEC offers. Not sure if the lacewood is stabilized or not, but am pretty sure the coconut palm is.
Attachments
lacewood7.JPG
coconutpalm56.jpg
big monk

Post by big monk »

biglmbass wrote:I like the variety of wood GEC offers. Not sure if the lacewood is stabilized or not, but am pretty sure the coconut palm is.

Good looking "'Woodies"',Glenn !!! ::tu::
I'm not young enough,____to know everything !!!!!!!!!!!!

MONK****
Onearmbladejunkie

Post by Onearmbladejunkie »

I love my GEC#81 Osage Orange Moose with a tiny knot-hole.
Attachments
tidioute-cutlery-osage-orange-wood-bull-moose-68.jpg
Onearmbladejunkie

I have a GEC#74 Arizona Ironwood Mustang coming in the mail soon.
74-ARIZONA.jpg
Onearmbladejunkie

GEC#19 LITTLE RATTLER in Kingwood ----
IMG_2715.jpg
IMG_2714.jpg
Onearmbladejunkie

IMG_2722.jpg
IMG_2721.jpg
king5677443345.jpg
Manofcarbonsteel

Post by Manofcarbonsteel »

Oily Heart Pine reclaimed from the Plymouth Cordage Company in Plymouth Massachusetts
Attachments
090DDD1C-DDE4-4F2E-A41B-5C5D1861A0ED.jpeg
Open Range-19
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Open Range-19 »

Manofcarbonsteel,
Very impressive, nice one 👍🏻
JoKr

Post by JoKr »

#74 arizona ironwood TudorLeder Pile- - Kopie.jpg
#74 arizona ironwood TudorLeder-.jpg
_ ̡̡ ̡ ̡̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̡ ̴̡̡ı̴̡̡-̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡ ̲̲͡ ̡ ̡ ̴̡ ̡ ̡ ⛵️̡ ̡ ̡ ̡̡ ̴̡ ̴̡ ̡ ̡-̲̲̲͡͡-̡̲̲͡-̲̲̲̲͡͡͡-̲-̡̲-̲̲̲͡͡-̡̡̡̡̲̲-̡-̴̡ı̴̡̡-̡_̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡*̡̡ı̴̴̡̡ ̡̡ ̡

ISO #748116 AAPK Forums Knife 2016

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”