GREAT EASTERN PRIVATE LABEL, CLUB KNIVES & SFO's

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: GREAT EASTERN PRIVATE LABEL, CLUB KNIVES & SFO's

Post by edge213 »

cudgee wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:36 pm
Doc B wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:01 pm Just saw this on a GEC, Facebook group, page...
"The word over on Blade Forums is that GEC told the dealers no more SFOs. Including Waynorth, Northwoods, and Ck."
That is also my read on it. Will be no more made, only GEC brand factory runs.
Do you guys know if this is supposed to be permanent?
Or just temporary due to the recent covid shut down.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

edge213 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:51 pm
cudgee wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:36 pm
Doc B wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:01 pm Just saw this on a GEC, Facebook group, page...
"The word over on Blade Forums is that GEC told the dealers no more SFOs. Including Waynorth, Northwoods, and Ck."
That is also my read on it. Will be no more made, only GEC brand factory runs.
Do you guys know if this is supposed to be permanent?
Or just temporary due to the recent covid shut down.
From what i have read, permanent. Nothing to do with covid-19. But that is only my read on it, more informed members than me will know more.
Onearmbladejunkie

Post by Onearmbladejunkie »

I support Bill Howard 100% on this decision . Everybody go look at the production numbers of 2019 on the GEC web-sight. We have GEC dealers that are complete pigs about SFO knives. I have no problem with Franks Classic Knives receiving a 100 SFO knives every year. But the biggest knife dealers are complete pigs with 150 to 1000 SFO knives last year. The smaller GEC dealers have taken a pounding in 2020. Everybody needs to sell more knives and not be stuck with more NOS inventory . The SFO knives have the best bone colors , better wood choices , saw cuts , better jigging. This needs to stop. GEC need to make the next patterns with better scale choices. GEC is in the fight for survival . I have the CKs SFO mesquite #23LL and the Kieffer blue camel bone #23LL on pre-order. I am hoping these will be completed , the parts have already been made. This halt to SFO knives needs to be done , we need to support our smaller dealers that treat us with better service. I am looking forward to better knife patterns and better scale choices in the future. Stay away from the secondary market. Why pay krazy prices , shipping , and state taxes on EVIL-bay ! We need to support GEC and the GEC dealers more than ever . We need to buy a few from CASE XX knives too. "Buy American or Starve !"
Onearmbladejunkie

My #8 AMKCA 2020 club knife came in today.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Onearmbladejunkie wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:41 pm My #8 AMKCA 2020 club knife came in today.
How about a picture ? I assume it is a #23 pattern knife with flush & square joints ?
kj
Onearmbladejunkie

Microsoft New Edge has screwed up my computer. I can not load or down load a saved picture. I am not going through the process of correcting it. FaceBook attacks my computer every time I log on. As long as I can buy new GEC knives , I am not going to take a chance of my computer getting worst. PC Matic saves my computer every day.
Iowaboy

Post by Iowaboy »

I agree with onearmbladejunkie on this one for sure. Bill Howard knows what he's doing, and hopefully he sees lots of buyers like me who want to keep the GEC knife they're buying, not resell it, but are having a hard time finding them.

My general plan is to buy a Tidioute version (or two if handle selections) of every pattern. (OK, maybe not that 35 but still)...

I don't have any SFO connections and would much rather own a regular GEC, and if this policy makes the knives easier to find when new it sounds good to me.
Onearmbladejunkie

(NOT MY PHOTOS) Maher & Grosh #35 with "THE TRAPPER" etching --- Antique Yellow wavy jigged bone -- Appaloosa bone , Cocobolo wood - Ebony-wood
IMG_2577.jpeg
ngYh9AL.jpg
IMG_2583.jpeg
de61pD9h.jpg
20200917_102439.jpg
20200917_102646.jpg
20200918_080134.jpg
Onearmbladejunkie

I just spotted some #74 Mustang bolsters . I believe an AAPK 2020 Forum member knife is in progress now !
Y4T8Njw.jpg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Onearmbladejunkie wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:46 pm I just spotted some #74 Mustang bolsters . I believe an AAPK 2020 Forum member knife is in progress now !Y4T8Njw.jpg
What makes you think that? Just askin'.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

jerryd6818 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:39 pm
Onearmbladejunkie wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:46 pm I just spotted some #74 Mustang bolsters . I believe an AAPK 2020 Forum member knife is in progress now !Y4T8Njw.jpg
What makes you think that? Just askin'.
Look at the picture again Jerry. The sign at the bottom clearly says “AAPK”. Maybe not conclusive but I don’t know what else it could mean.

Ken.
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Duh. ::facepalm::

We just had a 74 in what?? 2016??

Maybe this one will be different. ::hmm::
Attachments
2016 - 74.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Onearmbladejunkie

jerryd6818 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:00 pm Duh. ::facepalm::

I think we are running out of time this year. Choose between a #74 Mustang or a #19 Little Rattler , I'll take the #74. GEC is making 200 pieces each of four different #74 choices. Another 100 pieces of an AAPK #74 , sounds good to me. I saved my behind off for this #74 run. I have a #74 Brown Burlap micarta and an Arizona Iron-wood #74 on pre-order. I was supposed to have a fixed blade 52100 steel custom made in September 2020. My Bladesmith stays super busy , he might get to me after January 2021 now. I was Fred Flintstone with steam coming out of my Ears , when I heard about only 200 pieces of each choice will be made. "GEC KNIFE COLLECTING IS WAR !" I'll be sweating it out for the GEC#74 run. I really need 3 1/2" to 4" GEC knives . I was expecting a GEC#74 Saddle Trapper run ,too. I noticed a GEC#19 Little Rattler schedule had been yanked off the GEC web-sight , less than 20 hours after posting. I am really hoping for a saddle Trapper #74 Run ! The "THINGS TO PONDER ??" CLUE tells a different story.
the-horse-and-the-snake-benigne-gagneraux.jpg
OIP (2).jpg
OIP (2).jpg (6.08 KiB) Viewed 4684 times
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

It will be slightly different. The 2016 knife was a #74 Stallion with a Clip blade. This year's knife is a #74 Mustang with a Drop Point blade. I assume the handle material will be slightly different as well but I'm guessing it will also be jigged bone.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Onearmbladejunkie

The 2016 AAPK knife was a #74 Stallion and the 2020 #74 is a Mustang so far. A different blade and different scales will be used.
745117-Snakewood-1.jpg
748117-Cocobolo-Wood.jpg
fishin1635
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by fishin1635 »

::ds:: That’s fantastic news! How does one go about ordering one? ::shrug::

I’m getting excited about the 74 Mustangs 🐎. I can hopefully 🙏 round one up with my Stallion🐴 I love the burnt orange jigged bone in SS but haven’t roped 📿one yet. It would be cool if GEC chose burnt orange jigged bone as the cover material but not likely seems how it’s been SS runs rather than carbon in that cover. But it would be cool to see autumn leaf 🍁 jigged bone or orange camel 🐫 bone. Have a great weekend 🙏🏼 🧗🏻‍♀️💪🏻😎
Attachments
0D6FA36E-79DE-4CDD-B0C1-87352C72CD2D.jpeg
94D4D6DE-84E1-4FEB-8EE6-189E399A12BD.jpeg
7AFC810B-BF16-4801-8DF9-528F2B485CBF.jpeg
Onearmbladejunkie

fishin1635 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:14 am ::ds:: That’s fantastic news! How does one go about ordering one? ::shrug::

I’m getting excited about the 74 Mustangs 🐎. I can hopefully 🙏 round one up with my Stallion🐴 I love the burnt orange jigged bone in SS but haven’t roped 📿one yet. It would be cool if GEC chose burnt orange jigged bone as the cover material but not likely seems how it’s been SS runs rather than carbon in that cover. But it would be cool to see autumn leaf 🍁 jigged bone or orange camel 🐫 bone. Have a great weekend 🙏🏼 🧗🏻‍♀️💪🏻😎
I contacted Bryan yesterday and I just read my e-mail from him. I have my 2020 #74 AAPK knife on reserve. www.admin@allaboutpocketknives.com --- Brian can put you right on the list. I have been hoping for a blue AAPK knife , myself. I sent him another email . I am trying to get more information about the scales. I am so stoked about this GEC#74 run. 200 pieces of each choice is a bummer for all of us. I am still hoping for a #74 Saddle Trapper run too. Yall need to Contact Bryan now. You snooze You lose ! More scale color information will be released at the end of October.
Attachments
9867yuut5443.jpg
fishin1635
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by fishin1635 »

Thanks for the heads up onearm. I emailed Bryan... hopefully, I get on the list too ::pray:: Blue covers would would be cool with me. I have 79 workhorse with blue Tidioute covers... I love it.
Attachments
A6C58C51-3C23-4F5F-89A4-D0E1888CBE27.jpeg
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

fishin1635 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:43 pm Thanks for the heads up onearm. I emailed Bryan... hopefully, I get on the list too ::pray:: Blue covers would would be cool with me. I have 79 workhorse with blue Tidioute covers... I love it.
Wow! That's nice!
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I find the large "AAPK" etch that takes up the full blade length on the previous #74 to be distracting. It 'dominates' the rest of the knife instead of being in balance with it visually. Hence i hope this year's #74 will have a more discreet etch or better yet, no etch but with "AAPK" on the shield.
kj
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

kootenay joe wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:21 pm I find the large "AAPK" etch that takes up the full blade length on the previous #74 to be distracting. It 'dominates' the rest of the knife instead of being in balance with it visually. Hence i hope this year's #74 will have a more discreet etch or better yet, no etch but with "AAPK" on the shield.
kj
Roland
Agree with you on the blade etch, it’s way to much for me . Too the point that won’t order one, but on the shield AAPK works great ,and would order, just my thoughts . Really like the 74 choice for forum knife .
JP
fishin1635
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by fishin1635 »

Ripster wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:43 pm
kootenay joe wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:21 pm I find the large "AAPK" etch that takes up the full blade length on the previous #74 to be distracting. It 'dominates' the rest of the knife instead of being in balance with it visually. Hence i hope this year's #74 will have a more discreet etch or better yet, no etch but with "AAPK" on the shield.
kj
Roland
Agree with you on the blade etch, it’s way to much for me . Too the point that won’t order one, but on the shield AAPK works great ,and would order, just my thoughts . Really like the 74 choice for forum knife .
I agree with you guys. IMO... taking up the entire blade takes away from the simplicity and beauty of the knife, but makes damn sure its a "club knife" ::hmm::
Onearmbladejunkie

The "ALL ABOUT POCKETS KNIVES" etching is a little bit hokey looking , but I like it. I don't remember that big etching on my GEC#97 AAPK Allegheny knife. I cleaned and oiled it a few times. My head hit an oak tree in 1989 , I aint right in the head. I'm all left ! Baw-ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! If I don't like it , I will use it like crazy. It will look better with patina and I will get more attached to it.
Onearmbladejunkie

Bryan will contact us will all the details at the end of this month.
knife_fan

Post by knife_fan »

Nice to see the forum knife is a cotton sampler blade. I don't currently own one, and missed GECs original release. Hope I'm able to pick one up when they're released.

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”