Grinling Whittler

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Grinling Whittler

Post by Dinadan »

I have been tempted by GEC's Grinling Whittler since I first became aware of the pattern. I wanted one to EDC but I am reluctant to spent a hundred dollars for an EDC, or any knife whatsoever, for that matter. But I finally just forced myself to order one. It came today. I got the ebony handle version. I like the lookand feel of ebony, and hopefully the inevitable scrapes and scratches will not show up as much.
Grinling11.jpg
Grinling12.jpg
I was concerned that the pull might be a bit more than I like, but I had a very pleasant surprise in that it is perfect. A nice snap on opening and closing, but nothing approaching nail breaker. I ordered the knife from CollectorKnives and requested one with moderate pull, if he had any. Whether he actually selected my knife on that basis I do not know, but I am pleased with what he sent!
Grinling14.jpg
Note that the main blade is just about as long as the body permits. I like that in a clip blade.
Grinling15.jpg
Also, perhaps because it is a split back spring whittler, the secondary blades are a bit thicker than the secondary blades in some similar sized whittlers such as the Case Seahorse or Bulldog whittler with the same size body.
Grinling16.jpg
Here is a comparison photo of a Case Seahorse and GEC Grinling.
Grinling18.jpg
I realize this is not much of a review, but I have not seen much written about the very fine knife as yet, so I decided to put in my two cents worth!
Grinling19.jpg
Mel
rangerbluedog

Re: Grinling Whittler

Post by rangerbluedog »

Mel, that's a pretty knife. What's the closed length on that rascal?
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
mikek

Post by mikek »

Last Thursday the wife and I stopped in at GEC for my B-Day and I was on the hunt for the new wittler. Miss Chris had a couple to choose from and I took the last one she had in stag. It went right in the pocket and I could not be happer. The knife reminds me of the 80 pattern that Case use to make. The master is nice and stiff but the smaller two blades seem to be on the flimsy side. It's nothing I can't live with.

Fit and finish are first class and it's a fine pocket knife. It measures in at 3 7/8 Inchs and feels good in the pocket. It was a good visit and I'll be back for the open house in August. Mike
I pay extra for patina
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Rangerbluedog - closed length is 3 7/8 inch like Mike said. Mine went right into my pocket too. Generally, on a stockman or a whittler, I use the master blade a lot more than the secondary blades, and the master blade on my Grinling is pretty much perfect for a clip blade!
Mel
BeaverTail_Hunter

Post by BeaverTail_Hunter »

I am looking for the OKCA Club version of this whittler (beaver shield) for my collection. I think it would be the top 1-3 in my collection if I could find it. Perfect size, looks, and blades.
Always interested in buying: GEC Beaver Tails (any pattern, any year)
Feel free to message me if you would like to discuss.
Buckibbq
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Buckibbq »

The Grinling Whittler is my hands down favorite GEC pattern. Here’s the first one I acquired in November of 2019.
0D869D82-2B6A-4CE7-92AA-2E2DEA45B23F.jpeg
I’m a long time collector in search of rare and limited GEC AND Northwoods knives. Always looking to add ivory pieces to my collection. PM to discuss sales or trades, please!
Buckibbq
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Buckibbq »

Old Green Jig Bone and SFO Black Camel Bone
4B600662-AE6E-4525-9BBD-4FF19F51A17C.jpeg
Attachments
94E48BE3-1602-4F60-9DB9-9DCA14B40335.jpeg
I’m a long time collector in search of rare and limited GEC AND Northwoods knives. Always looking to add ivory pieces to my collection. PM to discuss sales or trades, please!
Buckibbq
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Buckibbq »

Che Chen Rosewood & Ebony
8463006C-0C6E-45FB-B8EB-F52364A7AC6E.jpeg
Buckibbq
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Buckibbq »

Here’s my recently completed set of Grinling Whittlers. One of each variation from 2015.
404467B9-79B5-42D5-BE94-65C881E7EE92.jpeg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

What a great set. Wow!!
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

That is a mighty fine collection, Buckibbq. I do not recall seeing all thirteen of those in one photo before!
Mel
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Buckibbq wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:15 am Here’s my recently completed set of Grinling Whittlers. One of each variation from 2015.
404467B9-79B5-42D5-BE94-65C881E7EE92.jpeg
Very nice ::tu:: ::tu::
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Buckibbq
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Buckibbq »

Thank ya fellas! It was a challenge to track them all down, but well worth the satisfaction.

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”