GEC Auctions of Note

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
kootenay joe

Re: GEC Auctions of Note

Post by kootenay joe »

Quote: "You were correct, the pair went for $750.
Trace"

$375 each for those Northwoods is a very good deal for the buyer. He could probably flip them for a tidy profit.
kj
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

The seller probably would have made more by selling them separately; however, assuming he bought them new from KSF, he still more than doubled his original investment...Not a bad day's work for a flipper! ::disgust::

I'm very anxious to see what this Mammoth Ivory Signal Jack sells for. Anyone care to hazard a guess? (I'm guessing $650)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Northwoods-Kni ... 1438.l2649
Signal Jack Mammoth.jpg
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Seeing as though i was well out in the first auction ::doh:: , i will say $525.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

cudgee wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:36 pm Seeing as though i was well out in the first auction ::doh:: , i will say $525.
I was even further off than you, cudgee (by $99...but still...). Don't forget, however, that this one is Mammoth Ivory which is hugely popular among collectors and that typically means a hyper-inflated selling price. I always expect to pay more for ivory, myself, so it wouldn't surprise me if this one sold for $1,000 (if I could afford to pay that much, I would probably consider buying it myself...but I can't so I won't). I continue to be surprised at how much the selling prices of knives have increased lately. But GEC made knives, especially ones with ivory handles--like this Northwoods Signal Jack--are far and away still the most expensive on the secondary market when compared to original retail price (of modern knives).

~Q~
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

QTCut5 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:40 am
cudgee wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:36 pm Seeing as though i was well out in the first auction ::doh:: , i will say $525.
I was even further off than you, cudgee (by $99...but still...). Don't forget, however, that this one is Mammoth Ivory which is hugely popular among collectors and that typically means a hyper-inflated selling price. I always expect to pay more for ivory, myself, so it wouldn't surprise me if this one sold for $1,000 (if I could afford to pay that much, I would probably consider buying it myself...but I can't so I won't). I continue to be surprised at how much the selling prices of knives have increased lately. But GEC made knives, especially ones with ivory handles--like this Northwoods Signal Jack--are far and away still the most expensive on the secondary market when compared to original retail price (of modern knives).
Mate, i would stuff up putting milk on my Corn Flakes. ::dang:: ::dang:: ::dang:: :lol: . But i have noticed most knives have increased in the last year, particularly in the last 2 months. You only have to look at a lot of the prices on the members store. We'll see which one of us is closest on this one. Take care and look after yourself. ::tu:: :) :) :)
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

My question is: why do we want these knives so much that some of us might pay up to $1000 for one of them ?
I too would like to own this knife but my financial circumstances prevent me from being a contender.
Yes it is a well made and attractive knife and not made were made with mammoth or ivory but why do we want it so much ?
I have posted an exquisitely made Rick Menefee Lanny's Clip that could be bought for $500, but so far not much interest has been shown.
Northwoods are not the best made knives 'out there' but they seem to be the ones that get the highest selling prices.
I also wonder what these Northwoods might be worth in 10 years time.
kj
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

kootenay joe wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:29 pm Northwoods are not the best made knives 'out there' but they seem to be the ones that get the highest selling prices.
I also wonder what these Northwoods might be worth in 10 years time.
kj
Good post, KJ, these two in particular. That Lanny's of yours is a good example too. I don't understand it either. A feller could get a Bill Ruple trapper for 1k, from a master, very high quality. Crazy Collector Syndrome I guess, I would rather have 1 Bill Ruple knife than 100 GEC's. I had a very nice Fremont when they came out in crackle mammoth, wasn't my thing and sold it to Chief for like $250.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Well, cudgee, you were much closer on this one. I must admit I was somewhat surprised at the price...thought that being Mammoth Ivory it would sell for more than $535.00. Just goes to show what I (don't) know. ::cb::

~Q~
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

QTCut5 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:39 am
Well, cudgee, you were much closer on this one. I must admit I was somewhat surprised at the price...thought that being Mammoth Ivory it would sell for more than $535.00. Just goes to show what I (don't) know. ::cb::
:lol: :lol: :lol: I have a saying - " If You Throw Enough Darts You Will Eventually Hit The Bullseye ". Take care over there and keep warm. ::nod:: ::handshake::
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

This TC Barlow went pretty high on auction a few nights ago. 670 and it topped out early no last minute rush of bids: https://www.ebay.com/itm/133682197349?ul_noapp=true
Attachments
702D3C70-530A-4FE8-82BA-684BFFE8C4BD.jpeg
702D3C70-530A-4FE8-82BA-684BFFE8C4BD.jpeg (78.49 KiB) Viewed 2404 times
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:15 am This TC Barlow went pretty high on auction a few nights ago. 670 and it topped out early no last minute rush of bids: https://www.ebay.com/itm/133682197349?ul_noapp=true
Stupid
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I sold an identical TC Barlow a year or so ago for about $250-$275 ? II have forgotten the amount but it was not the same price league as the above knife.
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

That Ebony handled Barlow is relisted. I got a notice of a second chance on that one. I guess the winner flaked out after driving the price up to 670.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:14 am That Ebony handled Barlow is relisted. I got a notice of a second chance on that one. I guess the winner flaked out after driving the price up to 670.
Any guesses on what it will sell for this time ? I think it will be under $500 which would still be a lot of money for a knife.
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

kootenay joe wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:20 pm
Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:14 am That Ebony handled Barlow is relisted. I got a notice of a second chance on that one. I guess the winner flaked out after driving the price up to 670.
Any guesses on what it will sell for this time ? I think it will be under $500 which would still be a lot of money for a knife.
kj
That sounds about right to me. You don’t see many of these come up for sale so it will be high, but the 670 was ridiculous.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Wow, it sold for 330, half of what it sold for the first time. That’s a big surprise.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

That's still twice what its worth.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

edge213 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:27 am That's still twice what its worth.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :)
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:22 am Wow, it sold for 330, half of what it sold for the first time. That’s a big surprise.
I think $330 for this knife is a reasonably good deal for the buyer based on prices paid for many GEC's in the last couple of years.
Maybe secondary market prices for GEC knives have peaked and are now coming down from their lofty heights ?
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Northwoods Heritage Jack, a steal, for only $819.69 !
kj
Attachments
s-l1600 (5).jpg
FarSide
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by FarSide »

Trying to figure out why this modified (de-ancientfied) TC is going for so much. Or maybe I should not be surprised right now. I actually kind of did the same thing to mine.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Great-Eastern- ... 1438.l2649
-Tim
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Tim, how has it been modified ? Seller makes no mention of this in his description.
kj
FarSide
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by FarSide »

kootenay joe wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:21 am Tim, how has it been modified ? Seller makes no mention of this in his description.
kj
All the true Ancient 2’s had protruding pins & rough scaling on the bolster. That one has been polished it appears.
Mine - Before
TC Ancient Pair 1.jpg
Mine After
TC Ancient 11.JPG
-Tim
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

This one should prove interesting.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265137245138?_ ... fresh=true

GEC 77 Abalone.jpg

~Q~
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

QTCut5 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:45 pm This one should prove interesting.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265137245138?_ ... fresh=true

GEC 77 Abalone.jpg
Yes, interesting to see how high it will go. A few years ago i had a couple of knives with this 'Abalone' handle material and very few collectors had any interest in buying them at original price. Stag and mammoth go very high. This LVS Abalone maybe not as high ? Or, maybe GEC Madness means any GEC knife can get a super high price ?
kj

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”