GEC Auctions of Note

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
kootenay joe

Re: GEC Auctions of Note

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks Jerry. I did see your qualifier "without shill bidding" but i don't see shill bidding in the 2 #66 that sold very high. I see these as some GEC collectors being willing to pay however much is needed to get the knife they want. I think there are a few collectors who really want this "OD Green Micarta" more than the #66 pattern.
Our 'old guy, long time knife collector' opinion of value differs from some of the younger, dedicated GEC collectors. This is why we continually see astoundingly high prices for a variety of GEC knives.
$1000 for the seller's #66 is far too high, but i do now believe that there are some collectors willing to pay over $400 for this knife. To me it still is a $150 max knife and actually more like a $90 knife.
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

There is currently a second OD green calf roper that has 4 bids and is currently at 140 with 5 days to go. It will be interesting to watch how high that one goes.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:53 pm There is currently a second OD green calf roper that has 4 bids and is currently at 140 with 5 days to go. It will be interesting to watch how high that one goes.
Yes. Please post selling price here. If it is high then there is a 'trend': after a few sales of a pattern, the prices start to climb and then others jump on board not wanting to 'miss out'.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is a Northwoods Heritage Jack with muddy brown Mammoth handles that just sold by auction for $765
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Northwoods-Kni ... true&rt=nc

kj
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

kootenay joe wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:04 am Here is a Northwoods Heritage Jack with muddy brown Mammoth handles that just sold by auction for $765
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Northwoods-Kni ... true&rt=nc

kj
IMO, that is asinine! One could get a handmade puukko from Pekka Tuominen for far less, just one example. Each their own, I guess.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

We talk all the time about people getting taken on counterfeits.
To me this is just as stupid. Probably more so, because someone just paid almost $800 for a $200 knife.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I think the very high prices paid for Northwoods and some GEC's is based more on wanting to win a competition than it is because they really like the knife. These knives are made in relatively small numbers and this creates competition to get them and many are not willing to lose so they bid very high.
Eventually some of these collectors will drift off to other interests and the very high prices will no longer be seen.
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

The Micarta one that is up for bids is up to 390 with almost 2 hours to go. What is going on?

I saw an 86 w/ Bloodwood handles go for 405 last night. I’m trying to get mine listed tonight, along with a few others, before people come to their senses.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:42 pm The Micarta one that is up for bids is up to 390 with almost 2 hours to go. What is going on?

I saw an 86 w/ Bloodwood handles go for 405 last night. I’m trying to get mine listed tonight, along with a few others, before people come to their senses.
Amazing, a Micarta 66 with 3 blades now almost $400. Until recently the #66 "Calf Roper" was languishing on dealers shelves with no takers.
What has happened to make these so hot ?
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

kootenay joe wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:39 am
Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:42 pm The Micarta one that is up for bids is up to 390 with almost 2 hours to go. What is going on?

Amazing, a Micarta 66 with 3 blades now almost $400. Until recently the #66 "Calf Roper" was languishing on dealers shelves with no takers.
What has happened to make these so hot ?
kj
It sold for 490. Someone please explain this irrational behavior.
knife_fan

Post by knife_fan »

GEC prices on eBay have gone crazy. I don't even check eBay for GEC finds anymore.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

knife_fan wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:44 pm GEC prices on eBay have gone crazy. I don't even check eBay for GEC finds anymore.
Not all GEC's sell high on ebay. Some sell for a littler under their original prices.. The question here is why this #66 Calf Roper pattern ? Until recently it was a hard pattern to sell and now one with Micarta handles sells for almost $500. WHY ?
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is a Stag 235111LT that just sold for $586: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Great-Eastern- ... true&rt=nc
Nice knife but nearly $600 ?
kj
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

kootenay joe wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:36 pm
knife_fan wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:44 pm GEC prices on eBay have gone crazy. I don't even check eBay for GEC finds anymore.
Not all GEC's sell high on ebay. Some sell for a littler under their original prices.. The question here is why this #66 Calf Roper pattern ? Until recently it was a hard pattern to sell and now one with Micarta handles sells for almost $500. WHY ?
kj
I don't understand, either...but, I surfed the wave and let my 66 micarta go...to someone who obviously loved it more than I would have been able to give it the love it deserved!
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

A 2017 GEC #66 Calf Roper just sold for $189, Northfield with Hemlock Green Bone.
The only ##66 Calf Roper that sells high, like over $400 are those with the "O.D. Green Micarta" handles. I have no idea why this handle material is desired.
kj
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

TWO (GEC made) Northwoods being sold together. This should be interesting.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Northwood ... 1438.l2649
Northwoods on eBay.jpg
~Q~
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

QTCut5 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:39 am TWO (GEC made) Northwoods being sold together. This should be interesting.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Northwood ... 1438.l2649
Northwoods on eBay.jpg
Very interesting. :wink: :)
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

O.K., how about a little game ?
Guess the final winning bid.
My guess: $1158.
kj
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

kootenay joe wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:16 am O.K., how about a little game ?
Guess the final winning bid.
My guess: $1158.
kj
Well, now we all know how much kj's planning to bid :lol: ::poke::

Actually, I was thinking the very same thing myself. First: How much would I be willing to pay if I really wanted them and had the financial resources, and Second: I wonder how much they'll actually sell for.
I have a feeling kj's guess is going to be closer, but my guess: $1099 ::fc::
~Q~
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Great idea to keep it interesting-$1,000. :wink:
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The strategy of selling both knives in one auction might backfire on the seller. There will be many people willing and able to bid say about $600-$750 for one Northwoods knife but who do not have the funds to put in a high bid for both knives. The number of people with enough available funds to bid for both knives will be considerably smaller.
kj
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

kootenay joe wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:17 pm The strategy of selling both knives in one auction might backfire on the seller. There will be many people willing and able to bid say about $600-$750 for one Northwoods knife but who do not have the funds to put in a high bid for both knives. The number of people with enough available funds to bid for both knives will be considerably smaller.
kj
True but those few will have deeper pockets to fight it out with.
Trace
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Rotten wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:08 am
kootenay joe wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:17 pm The strategy of selling both knives in one auction might backfire on the seller. There will be many people willing and able to bid say about $600-$750 for one Northwoods knife but who do not have the funds to put in a high bid for both knives. The number of people with enough available funds to bid for both knives will be considerably smaller.
kj
True but those few will have deeper pockets to fight it out with.
We will see.
If auctioned individually both could be expected to sell for at least $600 each. So if auction for both brings in less than $1200 i think seller would have done better auctioning individually.
Maybe there are more 'high rollers' in the GEC crowd than i think there are ?
kj
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

This 2013 O1 Bull Nose is going higher than I expected. $345 with 13 hours to go, 48 watchers.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Great-Eastern- ... 4673912500
Trace
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Rotten wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:55 pm This 2013 O1 Bull Nose is going higher than I expected. $345 with 13 hours to go, 48 watchers.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Great-Eastern- ... 4673912500
Holy cow, I must not be fully awake yet! But wouldn’t pay a hundred for that thing! What is it with This Irrational spending ? The craziness continues in GEC land .
JP

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”