GEC Auctions of Note

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: GEC Auctions of Note

Post by QTCut5 »

TWO (GEC made) Northwoods being sold together. This should be interesting.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Northwood ... 1438.l2649
Northwoods on eBay.jpg
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

QTCut5 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:39 am TWO (GEC made) Northwoods being sold together. This should be interesting.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Northwood ... 1438.l2649
Northwoods on eBay.jpg
Very interesting. :wink: :)
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

O.K., how about a little game ?
Guess the final winning bid.
My guess: $1158.
kj
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

kootenay joe wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:16 am O.K., how about a little game ?
Guess the final winning bid.
My guess: $1158.
kj
Well, now we all know how much kj's planning to bid :lol: ::poke::

Actually, I was thinking the very same thing myself. First: How much would I be willing to pay if I really wanted them and had the financial resources, and Second: I wonder how much they'll actually sell for.
I have a feeling kj's guess is going to be closer, but my guess: $1099 ::fc::

~Q~
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Great idea to keep it interesting-$1,000. :wink:
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The strategy of selling both knives in one auction might backfire on the seller. There will be many people willing and able to bid say about $600-$750 for one Northwoods knife but who do not have the funds to put in a high bid for both knives. The number of people with enough available funds to bid for both knives will be considerably smaller.
kj
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

kootenay joe wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:17 pm The strategy of selling both knives in one auction might backfire on the seller. There will be many people willing and able to bid say about $600-$750 for one Northwoods knife but who do not have the funds to put in a high bid for both knives. The number of people with enough available funds to bid for both knives will be considerably smaller.
kj
True but those few will have deeper pockets to fight it out with.
Trace
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Rotten wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:08 am
kootenay joe wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:17 pm The strategy of selling both knives in one auction might backfire on the seller. There will be many people willing and able to bid say about $600-$750 for one Northwoods knife but who do not have the funds to put in a high bid for both knives. The number of people with enough available funds to bid for both knives will be considerably smaller.
kj
We will see.
If auctioned individually both could be expected to sell for at least $600 each. So if auction for both brings in less than $1200 i think seller would have done better auctioning individually.
Maybe there are more 'high rollers' in the GEC crowd than i think there are ?
kj
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

This 2013 O1 Bull Nose is going higher than I expected. $345 with 13 hours to go, 48 watchers.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Great-Eastern- ... 4673912500
Trace
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Rotten wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:55 pm This 2013 O1 Bull Nose is going higher than I expected. $345 with 13 hours to go, 48 watchers.

Holy cow, I must not be fully awake yet! But wouldn’t pay a hundred for that thing! What is it with This Irrational spending ? The craziness continues in GEC land .
JP
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Ripster wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:15 pm
Rotten wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:55 pm This 2013 O1 Bull Nose is going higher than I expected. $345 with 13 hours to go, 48 watchers.

Holy cow, I must not be fully awake yet! But wouldn’t pay a hundred for that thing! What is it with This Irrational spending ? The craziness continues in GEC land .
There is an old saying my friend " A Fool and His Money are Soon Parted ". I would not pay a hundred it for either, would like to know their original retail price when they dropped, i have no idea, but i am thinking under $50. Hey, but what would i know :? you have a good weekend mate. :)
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

cudgee wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:21 pm

There is an old saying my friend " A Fool and His Money are Soon Parted ". I would not pay a hundred it for either, would like to know their original retail price when they dropped, i have no idea, but i am thinking under $50. Hey, but what would i know :? you have a good weekend mate. :)
Well it went for $390.00, WOW! I wasn't into GEC in 2013 but I would guess original price was under $70. Granted it is relatively rare as it is the next to the last year they were made with O1 steel. I do really enjoy my 2014 O1 Bull Nose but it's no $390 knife.
2014 GEC Bull Nose O1 steel
2014 GEC Bull Nose O1 steel
Trace
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Rotten wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:38 am
cudgee wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:21 pm

Well it went for $390.00, WOW! I wasn't into GEC in 2013 but I would guess original price was under $70. Granted it is relatively rare as it is the next to the last year they were made with O1 steel. I do really enjoy my 2014 O1 Bull Nose but it's no $390 knife.
IMG_0120.JPG
Thanks for keeping us informed. ::tu::
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

kootenay joe wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:22 am
Rotten wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:08 am
kj
We will see.
If auctioned individually both could be expected to sell for at least $600 each. So if auction for both brings in less than $1200 i think seller would have done better auctioning individually.
Maybe there are more 'high rollers' in the GEC crowd than i think there are ?
kj
You were correct, the pair went for $750.
Trace
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

I think the seller would have done better to sell them separately.

Here's another Northwoods (Signal Jack in Mammoth Ivory) that will likely bring in some big bucks:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Northwoods-Kni ... 1438.l2649
Signal Jack Mammoth.jpg

~Q~
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Quote: "You were correct, the pair went for $750.
Trace"

$375 each for those Northwoods is a very good deal for the buyer. He could probably flip them for a tidy profit.
kj
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

The seller probably would have made more by selling them separately; however, assuming he bought them new from KSF, he still more than doubled his original investment...Not a bad day's work for a flipper! ::disgust::

I'm very anxious to see what this Mammoth Ivory Signal Jack sells for. Anyone care to hazard a guess? (I'm guessing $650)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Northwoods-Kni ... 1438.l2649
Signal Jack Mammoth.jpg

~Q~
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Seeing as though i was well out in the first auction ::doh:: , i will say $525.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

cudgee wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:36 pm Seeing as though i was well out in the first auction ::doh:: , i will say $525.
I was even further off than you, cudgee (by $99...but still...). Don't forget, however, that this one is Mammoth Ivory which is hugely popular among collectors and that typically means a hyper-inflated selling price. I always expect to pay more for ivory, myself, so it wouldn't surprise me if this one sold for $1,000 (if I could afford to pay that much, I would probably consider buying it myself...but I can't so I won't). I continue to be surprised at how much the selling prices of knives have increased lately. But GEC made knives, especially ones with ivory handles--like this Northwoods Signal Jack--are far and away still the most expensive on the secondary market when compared to original retail price (of modern knives).

~Q~
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

QTCut5 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:40 am
cudgee wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:36 pm Seeing as though i was well out in the first auction ::doh:: , i will say $525.
I was even further off than you, cudgee (by $99...but still...). Don't forget, however, that this one is Mammoth Ivory which is hugely popular among collectors and that typically means a hyper-inflated selling price. I always expect to pay more for ivory, myself, so it wouldn't surprise me if this one sold for $1,000 (if I could afford to pay that much, I would probably consider buying it myself...but I can't so I won't). I continue to be surprised at how much the selling prices of knives have increased lately. But GEC made knives, especially ones with ivory handles--like this Northwoods Signal Jack--are far and away still the most expensive on the secondary market when compared to original retail price (of modern knives).
Mate, i would stuff up putting milk on my Corn Flakes. ::dang:: ::dang:: ::dang:: :lol: . But i have noticed most knives have increased in the last year, particularly in the last 2 months. You only have to look at a lot of the prices on the members store. We'll see which one of us is closest on this one. Take care and look after yourself. ::tu:: :) :) :)
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

My question is: why do we want these knives so much that some of us might pay up to $1000 for one of them ?
I too would like to own this knife but my financial circumstances prevent me from being a contender.
Yes it is a well made and attractive knife and not made were made with mammoth or ivory but why do we want it so much ?
I have posted an exquisitely made Rick Menefee Lanny's Clip that could be bought for $500, but so far not much interest has been shown.
Northwoods are not the best made knives 'out there' but they seem to be the ones that get the highest selling prices.
I also wonder what these Northwoods might be worth in 10 years time.
kj
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

kootenay joe wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:29 pm Northwoods are not the best made knives 'out there' but they seem to be the ones that get the highest selling prices.
I also wonder what these Northwoods might be worth in 10 years time.
kj
Good post, KJ, these two in particular. That Lanny's of yours is a good example too. I don't understand it either. A feller could get a Bill Ruple trapper for 1k, from a master, very high quality. Crazy Collector Syndrome I guess, I would rather have 1 Bill Ruple knife than 100 GEC's. I had a very nice Fremont when they came out in crackle mammoth, wasn't my thing and sold it to Chief for like $250.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Well, cudgee, you were much closer on this one. I must admit I was somewhat surprised at the price...thought that being Mammoth Ivory it would sell for more than $535.00. Just goes to show what I (don't) know. ::cb::

~Q~
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

QTCut5 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:39 am
Well, cudgee, you were much closer on this one. I must admit I was somewhat surprised at the price...thought that being Mammoth Ivory it would sell for more than $535.00. Just goes to show what I (don't) know. ::cb::
:lol: :lol: :lol: I have a saying - " If You Throw Enough Darts You Will Eventually Hit The Bullseye ". Take care over there and keep warm. ::nod:: ::handshake::
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

This TC Barlow went pretty high on auction a few nights ago. 670 and it topped out early no last minute rush of bids: https://www.ebay.com/itm/133682197349?ul_noapp=true
Attachments
702D3C70-530A-4FE8-82BA-684BFFE8C4BD.jpeg
702D3C70-530A-4FE8-82BA-684BFFE8C4BD.jpeg (78.49 KiB) Viewed 2411 times
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”