GEC Auctions of Note

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
kootenay joe

Re: GEC Auctions of Note

Post by kootenay joe »

QTCut5 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:42 am
QTCut5 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:45 pm This one (GEC #77 Abalone) should prove interesting.
For those who may be interested (and for future AAPK members)...
Final selling price = $480.00 (+ tax & s/h)
$480 is a high price. The #77 is quite sought after. I wonder if a Stag 77 of the same year would have sold this high ?
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is a #38, "American Whittler" that just sold for $612: https://www.ebay.com/itm/265137539761?s ... true&rt=nc.
I wonder if the #38 "English Whittler" just released will do as well in 2027 ?
kj
Attachments
s-l1600 (9).jpg
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

kootenay joe wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:05 am The #77 is quite sought after. I wonder if a Stag 77 of the same year would have sold this high ?
kj
This 2015 Stag 77 is the closest I could find. It's a single blade and not "mint" so maybe not a perfect comparison. Also, it's not up for auction; the seller is asking $500.00 BIN (started out at $550.00 last week). The seller might be surprised at how much he could get for it if he were to list it for auction...I think the majority of the crazy high selling prices we see are the result of bidding wars. I have paid way more for some knives (by getting into bidding wars) at auctions than I would have been willing to pay for BIN--even if they had been listed for the exact same amount I eventually ended up paying--and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who's ever done that. ::paranoid:: ::dang::

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333975500414?s ... 1438.l2649
Attachments
GEC 77 Stag.jpg
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

QTCut5 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 3:28 am I wonder if this Elephant Ivory #13 will even make it the full 7 days without being pulled down for violating eBay's restriction on selling ivory?
kootenay joe wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 4:28 am The seller's FB shows that he has sold a number of GEC knives so i would think he knows the 'rules'.
kj

Well, well, well...I see that the auction did in fact end early, just as I suspected it would. ::smirk:: (Obviously knowing the rules doesn't necessarily mean following the rules...or getting away with breaking the rules ::tounge:: ). Although it lasted longer than I thought it would, it still didn't even complete three full days before the (7-day) auction was suddenly and abruptly "ended by the seller because the item was sold" (if eBay had ended the listing due to a rules violation, the listing would have disappeared entirely).

https://www.ebay.com/bfl/viewbids/16484 ... 7675.l2565

~Q~
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

It shows the selling price as $310 which i think is on the low side for a GEC with ivory handles. Did the seller decide to accept $310 and so closed the auction before ebay pulled his listing ? Is it possible buyer offered him more than what shows as the selling price ? Ebay tries to block any 'side deals'.
I don't really understand what happened here.
kj
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

I suspect he got an offer he couldn't refuse and chose to end the auction early. Of course, he'll still have to pay the seller's fee on the highest bid ($310) and figure out a way to get the money from the buyer without going through eBay (there are ways to do it and for all of eBay's scrutiny, it's not even all that difficult or complicated...but it does require the buyer to trust that the seller won't rip him off).

Another possibility (and this happened to me once after I had won the bidding for a super low price on an expensive custom knife), is that the seller claims he sold it outside of eBay (at a knife show, for example) before the eBay listing ended. Of course, he'll still have to pay the seller's fee on the highest bid, but it would be less than if he had let the auction run all the way to the end.

A third possibility is that the seller changed his mind and decided not to sell it (this has also happened to me on a knife I had already paid for and the seller just refunded my payment with no apology, just said he'd changed his mind and decided to keep the knife--probably because he wasn't happy with the final selling price).

But, in the end...we'll never know exactly what happened. ::shrug::

~Q~
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Q, thanks for explaining this auction's early end.
kj
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Been watching this one with interest (and incredulity) as two bidders have run up the price from $310 to $810 :shock: with just under two days remaining on the auction. IMO, the stag on this one isn't even all that great so I'm at a loss to explain their willingness to pay so much for it. But, this is a clear example of what can happen in a bidding war.

Apparently, I sold all my GEC 72s a few years too soon! ::dang::

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133783389908?h ... Swj3JgvnaH
GEC Red Stag 72.jpg

~Q~
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Stupid
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I think GEC calling these handles "Red Stag" makes some buyers think it is special.
Maybe it will go over $1,000 ?
kj
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Over $1.000 for that knife would surprise and shock me (I'm already shocked at the current $810 bid). I tend to believe the bidding is done and $810 will be the final price.

Roland, maybe you should consider putting your 2010 GEC #56 Stag Dogleg Jack on fleeceBay, your knife has much better looking covers and the way these auctions have been going lately it wouldn't surprise me at all if yours went for over $500. ::hmm::

~Q~
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have never sold anything on ebay myself so i don't know how to create a listing. Likely there are tutorials on u-tube. I have sent well over 1,000 knives to an ebay seller in Portland but have not yet sent him any GEC knives. If my #56 does not sell i will send it to him with my next shipment in about 6 weeks time.
Also i am trying to give AAPK members first chance to get the GEC knives i sell, although i do realize that many AAPK'ers do not collect GEC knives.
kj
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

The Red Stag #72 sold for $810. Ridiculous! ::disgust::

Anyone care to hazard a guess what this 2011 Northfield #53 Red Stag Cuban Castro will go for? ::hmm::

https://www.ebay.com/itm/363434385426?s ... 1438.l2649
2011 GEC 53 Red Stag.jpg

~Q~
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

I will hazard a guess-$780. ::hmm::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I think it will sell for about half of what the #72 sold for. More GEC collectors go for single blade knives that go for multi blade knives.
The #72 got $810 for 1 blade. I think this Cuban Castro will get about $115 per blade.
kj
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

kootenay joe wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:57 am I think it will sell for about half of what the #72 sold for. More GEC collectors go for single blade knives that go for multi blade knives.
The #72 got $810 for 1 blade. I think this Cuban Castro will get about $115 per blade.
kj
Interesting, i trimmed my estimate back because of that very reason, it is a 4 blade, maybe i did not trim enough off. ::doh:: :)
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

I'm going to say $550. A lot of collectors are willing to shell out big bucks for Stag (especially Red and Gnarly Stag) and the covers on this #53 have a lot of color and character. Also, the seller, Silverladdie, has a huge eBay following (4300) and his knives always seem to command top dollar because of the high level of competition.

~Q~
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

QTCut5 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:33 am I'm going to say $550. A lot of collectors are willing to shell out big bucks for Stag (especially Red and Gnarly Stag) and the covers on this #53 have a lot of character. Also, the seller, Silverladdie, has a huge eBay following (4300) and his knives always seem to command top dollar because of the high level of competition.
With all that information you may have under sold yourself. :) We shall see how we go. ::tu::
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

This 2011 GEC Northfield #23 Red Stag sold today for $406. That amount seems to be about the norm for Stag handled GEC these days, although it still seems outrageous to me since that's around the same price for an entry level custom handmade folder (or a Case/Tony Bose Collaboration semi-custom folder).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/402910870573?s ... true&rt=nc
2011 GEC 23 Red Stag.jpg

~Q~
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

QTCut5 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:33 am I'm going to say $550.
Red Stag Cuban Castro SOLD for $371...Roland was closest ($410-$460), I was way off. I give up trying to figure out the GEC collector mentality...Apparently, I have no idea how to gauge GEC prices. :oops: ::facepalm::

~Q~
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

QTCut5 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:26 am
QTCut5 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:33 am I'm going to say $550.
Red Stag Cuban Castro SOLD for $377...Roland was closest ($410-$460), I was way off. I give up trying to figure out the GEC collector mentality...Apparently, I have no idea how to gauge GEC prices. :oops: ::facepalm::
It may not be you. It may be them that have no idea. ::dang:: ::dang:: ::dang:: ::dang:: ::dang:: ::dang:: :lol:
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I think there is lot of 'luck' in the sold prices of GEC's at auction. Not all GEC buyers check every new GEC listing. If 2 or more people who do see it decide they must have it then you get a very high selling price. Same knife listed on a different week might have a quite different result.
kj
Steamboat Willie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Steamboat Willie »

kootenay joe wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:02 am I think there is lot of 'luck' in the sold prices of GEC's at auction. Not all GEC buyers check every new GEC listing. If 2 or more people who do see it decide they must have it then you get a very high selling price. Same knife listed on a different week might have a quite different result.
kj
Truth. Case in point, I just picked up a 235120 for $150, and I haven’t recently seen another with a list price / opening bid for less than $200. I think (some) GEC’s are fabulous tools and I am willing to pay a premium for the quality, but more often than not it gets way too steep for my wallet.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Steamboat Willie wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:15 am
kootenay joe wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:02 am I think there is lot of 'luck' in the sold prices of GEC's at auction. Not all GEC buyers check every new GEC listing. If 2 or more people who do see it decide they must have it then you get a very high selling price. Same knife listed on a different week might have a quite different result.
kj
Truth. Case in point, I just picked up a 235120 for $150, and I haven’t recently seen another with a list price / opening bid for less than $200. I think (some) GEC’s are fabulous tools and I am willing to pay a premium for the quality, but more often than not it gets way too steep for my wallet.
Post a photo when you get it. $150 sounds reasonable, in the current market, especially if it was something you really wanted. ::ds::
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

This 2009 Red Stag #73 sold for $385.00, and if you look at the bidding history, it seems likely the winning bidder had placed an even higher bid several days before the end of the auction (probably sufficiently high enough to "guarantee" the win since he obviously did not snipe it at the last second)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/114855199601?_ ... true&rt=nc
GEC 73 Red Stag.jpg
Anyone know what "EC" stands for at the end of the pattern number? ::shrug::

Curiously, this 2020 Stag Viper #47 sold earlier this month for less than I would have guessed given the seemingly huge popularity of this pattern...especially in stag.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/154431198570?s ... 7675.l2557
GEC Stag 47.jpg
GEC 47 Stag.jpg
Winning bid: $293.00

~Q~

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”