GEC Auctions of Note

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: GEC Auctions of Note

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

That Esky Zulu went for 1175. I bet that seller is ecstatic.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
FarSide
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by FarSide »

There seems to be a plethora of Beer Scout knives on the bay as everyone is seeing the prices they are demanding.
-Tim
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:23 pm That Esky Zulu went for 1175. I bet that seller is ecstatic.
I have a very nice Northwoods Presidential with outstanding mammoth handles that i will sell for only $1500 if any one is interested.
kj
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Prices all over the place. Here's 2 essentially identical knives that went off 3 hours apart from each other...
Second.jpg
First One.jpg
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
HighPlains

Post by HighPlains »

The difference in value here is Used vs New.
69C125DD-D2AA-4E06-B0E7-DBBBCEB646A7.jpeg
Just shows how a popular pattern can hold value even as a user. Those 43s were about $90 retail if I remember correctly. The Frontier Bone and Rust Red Jogged Bone are both stellar as well, I have had several of each.
FarSide
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by FarSide »

-Tim
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Tim, I saw that one this morning too and am just as baffled by it. Makes no sense to me.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

When I see stuff like this my first thought is that it is a "decimal point" mistake. For example, this seller might have wanted to start the price at $100.00 instead of $1000.00. This seller has a few other knives listed at "typical" prices so it would seem this is a mistake. ::shrug::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is another auction of same Tidioute micarta #66: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Great-Eastern- ... 4224523268?_
It has 6 days to go and is at $132 which i think is about 'market value'.
The 3 blade #66 is not a particularly popular pattern. Until recently some dealers still had some, mostly with tortoise acrylic handles.
kj
FarSide
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by FarSide »

RalphAlsip wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:50 am When I see stuff like this my first thought is that it is a "decimal point" mistake. For example, this seller might have wanted to start the price at $100.00 instead of $1000.00. This seller has a few other knives listed at "typical" prices so it would seem this is a mistake. ::shrug::
That would be a very logical explanation. You would think they would notice it though before posting since it stands out, but maybe only to knife nuts like me :D
-Tim
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I sent the seller a message asking if $1000 opening bid is correct. He replied "Yes it is correct". I then replied saying that this knife is worth no more than $150. He replied again and showed me 2 recent ebay auctions for a GEC #661317 with O.D. Green Micarta (same as his) and they sold for $373 and $466.
Is it the O.D. Green Micarta that people want ?
kj
FarSide
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by FarSide »

kootenay joe wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:10 pm I sent the seller a message asking if $1000 opening bid is correct. He replied "Yes it is correct". I then replied saying that this knife is worth no more than $150. He replied again and showed me 2 recent ebay auctions for a GEC #661317 with O.D. Green Micarta (same as his) and they sold for $373 and $466.
kj
Wow, okay. There were 266 OD Green Micarta's made. If it was a Maroon Micarta I could maybe (long shot maybe) see since only 7 were made.
If they get a $1000, I'm selling all my GEC's ::super_happy::
-Tim
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

FarSide wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:55 pm
RalphAlsip wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:50 am When I see stuff like this my first thought is that it is a "decimal point" mistake. For example, this seller might have wanted to start the price at $100.00 instead of $1000.00. This seller has a few other knives listed at "typical" prices so it would seem this is a mistake. ::shrug::
That would be a very logical explanation. You would think they would notice it though before posting since it stands out, but maybe only to knife nuts like me :D
kootenay joe wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:10 pm I sent the seller a message asking if $1000 opening bid is correct. He replied "Yes it is correct". I then replied saying that this knife is worth no more than $150. He replied again and showed me 2 recent ebay auctions for a GEC #661317 with O.D. Green Micarta (same as his) and they sold for $373 and $466.
kj
It looks like once again I have incorrectly applied "benefit of the doubt" to an eBay seller. :) Or maybe I am uninformed. My opinion is the GEC 66 is not highly sought after and OD Green Micarta would diminish the demand even further. If this knife were to be listed at $.99 cents in an auction format for 7 days I'm with Roland and would be very surprised if it sold for more than $150 without shill bidding.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Quote 'Ralph": "I'm with Roland and would be very surprised if it sold for more than $150 without shill bidding."

But i have had to change my idea of value as 2 of these have recently sold on ebay by auction for $373 and $466. I did post this before you posted the above quote, so why do you still think only $150 ?
kj
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

kootenay joe wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:22 am Quote 'Ralph": "I'm with Roland and would be very surprised if it sold for more than $150 without shill bidding."

But i have had to change my idea of value as 2 of these have recently sold on ebay by auction for $373 and $466. I did post this before you posted the above quote, so why do you still think only $150 ?
kj
Roland for those knives to have sold for the prices they did, my opinion is there were some "shenanigans" going on with bids (refer to my qualifier "without shill bidding" in relation to the $150 number. :) The 66 is not one of the sought after patterns and micarta is not a sought after handle cover.

Here is a link to GEC 66 sold knives. You will see the knives the seller mentioned and they are clearly outliers in terms of selling price. You will notice several of the sales clustered around $150. You will also see that $250 is likely top of market.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... &LH_Sold=1

Here is a link to GEC sold/completed listings sorted from low price to high price. You will see hundreds of GEC sales less than $150 for many patterns, and you likely find several 66's below $150.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat= ... e=1&_pgn=1

Here is a lightly used 66 that sold for $60.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NORTHFIELD-UN- ... SwSeRfeMd2

Another lightly used 66 that sold for $100.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NORTHFIELD-UN- ... SwSeRfeMd2
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks Jerry. I did see your qualifier "without shill bidding" but i don't see shill bidding in the 2 #66 that sold very high. I see these as some GEC collectors being willing to pay however much is needed to get the knife they want. I think there are a few collectors who really want this "OD Green Micarta" more than the #66 pattern.
Our 'old guy, long time knife collector' opinion of value differs from some of the younger, dedicated GEC collectors. This is why we continually see astoundingly high prices for a variety of GEC knives.
$1000 for the seller's #66 is far too high, but i do now believe that there are some collectors willing to pay over $400 for this knife. To me it still is a $150 max knife and actually more like a $90 knife.
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

There is currently a second OD green calf roper that has 4 bids and is currently at 140 with 5 days to go. It will be interesting to watch how high that one goes.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:53 pm There is currently a second OD green calf roper that has 4 bids and is currently at 140 with 5 days to go. It will be interesting to watch how high that one goes.
Yes. Please post selling price here. If it is high then there is a 'trend': after a few sales of a pattern, the prices start to climb and then others jump on board not wanting to 'miss out'.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is a Northwoods Heritage Jack with muddy brown Mammoth handles that just sold by auction for $765
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Northwoods-Kni ... true&rt=nc

kj
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

kootenay joe wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:04 am Here is a Northwoods Heritage Jack with muddy brown Mammoth handles that just sold by auction for $765
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Northwoods-Kni ... true&rt=nc

kj
IMO, that is asinine! One could get a handmade puukko from Pekka Tuominen for far less, just one example. Each their own, I guess.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

We talk all the time about people getting taken on counterfeits.
To me this is just as stupid. Probably more so, because someone just paid almost $800 for a $200 knife.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I think the very high prices paid for Northwoods and some GEC's is based more on wanting to win a competition than it is because they really like the knife. These knives are made in relatively small numbers and this creates competition to get them and many are not willing to lose so they bid very high.
Eventually some of these collectors will drift off to other interests and the very high prices will no longer be seen.
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

The Micarta one that is up for bids is up to 390 with almost 2 hours to go. What is going on?

I saw an 86 w/ Bloodwood handles go for 405 last night. I’m trying to get mine listed tonight, along with a few others, before people come to their senses.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:42 pm The Micarta one that is up for bids is up to 390 with almost 2 hours to go. What is going on?

I saw an 86 w/ Bloodwood handles go for 405 last night. I’m trying to get mine listed tonight, along with a few others, before people come to their senses.
Amazing, a Micarta 66 with 3 blades now almost $400. Until recently the #66 "Calf Roper" was languishing on dealers shelves with no takers.
What has happened to make these so hot ?
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

kootenay joe wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:39 am
Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:42 pm The Micarta one that is up for bids is up to 390 with almost 2 hours to go. What is going on?

Amazing, a Micarta 66 with 3 blades now almost $400. Until recently the #66 "Calf Roper" was languishing on dealers shelves with no takers.
What has happened to make these so hot ?
kj
It sold for 490. Someone please explain this irrational behavior.

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”