GEC Auctions of Note

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: GEC Auctions of Note

Post by edge213 »

I have a shell handled Imperial Kamp King that I value at $10,500.00. Does anybody want it???? How about half off??
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

edge213 wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:32 am I have a shell handled Imperial Kamp King that I value at $10,500.00. Does anybody want it???? How about half off??
Problem is supply, quite a few Kamp Kings out there, and demand is low. With GEC knives the demand is high, especially for certain patterns, one of which is the Washington Jack.
Maybe we will see a $1500 GEC auction win before too long ?
kj
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

I wonder how much this one would be worth.
Blood red smooth bone 1 of 51
Grant
Attachments
71B9831C-5648-4E9D-953E-8846D89CEF20.jpeg
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

QTCut5 wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:07 am
kootenay joe wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:48 am I have the exact same Washington Jack. Maybe i should post it here for $800 ? (with free shipping !!)
kj
Why "settle" for a lousy $800 when you could possibly get $1,000? The second highest bidder of this 2014 Washington Jack just might still want one badly enough to pay through the nose like the winner did.

The amount this Washington Jack sold for is mind-boggling :? Perhaps the winning bidder was more caught up in winning the auction than in buying a knife for a semi-reasonable price (a very attractive knife, to be sure, but even so...). Who knows what people are thinking when they (over)pay this much for a knife? ::shrug:: Not me, that's for sure.

So, the final buzzer has sounded, the checkered flag has waved and the results are in: an astonishing, unbelievable
$1,025 (plus $6.95 shipping).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324754599407?s ... 1438.l2649
2014 GEC Washington Jack.jpg

Congratulations to Eric (ea42)...who now owes each of us a beer! ::ds::
I wonder how much they would get if they put it back on the market. ::hmm::
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Shearer wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:59 am I wonder how much this one would be worth.
Blood red smooth bone 1 of 51
Grant
Beautiful knife.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

OK...so, what gives with this one? I kept watching it and fully expected it to blast off into the stratosphere right at the end, but for some reason it didn't even reach $200. Seems a bit unusual for a 2018 Stag Northfield #14 Lick Creek Boys Knife. Very strange. :? Any theories on why this one didn't follow the usual GEC trajectory? (The seller only has 100 transactions...maybe that has something to do with it? I don't know why it would, but that's about all I can come up with. ::shrug:: )

$188.31 (which isn't all that much more than its original retail cost)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154571963473?s ... true&rt=nc
Attachments
GEC Stag 14.jpg
GEC 14 Stag.jpg
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

Not my knives and not an auction, but over at Bladeforums a 381315 whttler just sold for $1000.

"381315 - Northfield Chestnut Peach Seed Jig Bone #34 - Oregon Knife Collectors Association - $1000 SPF"

Seller had originally offered a complete set of all the 38 whittlers for a five figure sum I don't remember. After no takers they finally decided to break up the set. There is one priced at $2000 but it hasn't sold yet.
Trace
BeaverTail_Hunter

Post by BeaverTail_Hunter »

Rotten wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:33 am Not my knives and not an auction, but over at Bladeforums a 381315 whttler just sold for $1000.

"381315 - Northfield Chestnut Peach Seed Jig Bone #34 - Oregon Knife Collectors Association - $1000 SPF"

Seller had originally offered a complete set of all the 38 whittlers for a five figure sum I don't remember. After no takers they finally decided to break up the set. There is one priced at $2000 but it hasn't sold yet.
Often people will price something high in order to get offers in a private message. There's no telling what something really sold for sometimes.
Always interested in buying: GEC Beaver Tails (any pattern, any year)
Feel free to message me if you would like to discuss.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

QT, why the 2018 stag #14 sold for a relatively low price is likely because there just happened to be very few #14 'seekers' active on ebay during the week it was listed. It shows that if you are looking for a specific GEC, every now and then one will sell 'low'. A person could put in a relatively low snipe bid and occasionally win.
Re: red bone Washington Jack: it should be worth a high price, as are all GEC Washington jacks.
kj
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Yup...whether a knife sells at auction for a super high or a relatively low price is so often simply the result of Luck & Timing. With some exceptions, pretty much every eBay final auction price is a factor of many unforeseen or unknowable variables which are essentially impossible to control.

~Q~
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

QTCut5 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:13 am Yup...whether a knife sells at auction for a super high or a relatively low price is so often simply the result of Luck & Timing. With some exceptions, pretty much every eBay final auction price is a factor of many unforeseen or unknowable variables which are essentially impossible to control.
Now my friend, i have really enjoyed our jousting and unofficial competition that we have had predicting what we think GEC knives will go for at auction. I think you are the club house leader, well i posted over on the " Is There Less Interest In GEC Knives " thread about an upcoming release from GEC. I want your prediction on how you think they will sell. I'm pretty sure i have already given my prediction on the said thread. :lol: :lol: :lol: ::tu::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

cudgee, do you know how many knives are in this run ?
If it is a small run, like 500 or less i think they will sell quickly.
If it is a large run like 2,000 or more i think it will be easy to get one.
I realize you were not asking me but i thought i would post anyway.
kj
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

kootenay joe wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:55 am cudgee, do you know how many knives are in this run ?
If it is a small run, like 500 or less i think they will sell quickly.
If it is a large run like 2,000 or more i think it will be easy to get one.
I realize you were not asking me but i thought i would post anyway.
kj
I don't know the quantity of the run, but they are beautiful looking knives in 2 shades of Ebony, and in my opinion they will walk off the shelves.And i always value your and anyone else's opinion. ::tu::
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

cudgee wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:47 pm Now my friend, i have really enjoyed our jousting and unofficial competition that we have had predicting what we think GEC knives will go for at auction. I think you are the club house leader, well i posted over on the " Is There Less Interest In GEC Knives " thread about an upcoming release from GEC. I want your prediction on how you think they will sell. I'm pretty sure i have already given my prediction on the said thread. :lol: :lol: :lol: ::tu::
:lol: :lol: :lol: First of all...I believe Roland was the "club house leader" in the unofficial contest of guessing the final auction price of GEC knives. I was just wildly stabbing around in the dark like a blind monkey.

Secondly...I have absolutely no idea how to predict the interest in a new GEC release. All I can say for certain is that if it has stag covers, it will be sold out long before I ever get a chance to even see it.

~Q~
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

QTCut5 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:35 am
cudgee wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:47 pm Now my friend, i have really enjoyed our jousting and unofficial competition that we have had predicting what we think GEC knives will go for at auction. I think you are the club house leader, well i posted over on the " Is There Less Interest In GEC Knives " thread about an upcoming release from GEC. I want your prediction on how you think they will sell. I'm pretty sure i have already given my prediction on the said thread. :lol: :lol: :lol: ::tu::
:lol: :lol: :lol: First of all...I believe Roland was the "club house leader" in the unofficial contest of guessing the final auction price of GEC knives. I was just wildly stabbing around in the dark like a blind monkey.

Secondly...I have absolutely no idea how to predict the interest in a new GEC release. All I can say for certain is that if it has stag covers, it will be sold out long before I ever get a chance to even see it.
No stag, dark and a lighter Ebony, with no choice, take what you get.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Here's a 2020 #47 Black Plum Viper that I've been watching. At the time of this post, there are less than 3 hrs remaining and is only up to $182.50. I wonder if there will be a burst of bidding at the last second? All the other Black Plum Viper auction I have watched sold for well over $200...some even crossing the $300 mark, so this should be interesting. ::suspense::

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255118151909?s ... 1438.l2649
GEC 47 Viper Black Plum.jpg

~Q~
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

QTCut5 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:29 pm Here's a 2020 #47 Black Plum Viper that I've been watching. At the time of this post, there are less than 3 hrs remaining and is only up to $182.50. I wonder if there will be a burst of bidding at the last second? All the other Black Plum Viper auction I have watched sold for well over $200...some even crossing the $300 mark, so this should be interesting. ::suspense::

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255118151909?s ... 1438.l2649
GEC 47 Viper Black Plum.jpg
$220. ::dang:: I well may regret that prediction. :mrgreen:
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

cudgee wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:35 pm $220. ::dang:: I well may regret that prediction. :mrgreen:
Only one (1) bid was placed in the final seconds :shock: ...final auction selling price: $190.17. So, you were pretty close with your prediction, cudgee. (Better watch out KJ, cudgee's gunnin' for your club house lead! :lol: )

I must admit, that surprises me...thought for sure it would hit closer to $250 at least (as did the last 8 of this exact same model & trim)--Proving once again how difficult it is to predict auction results for GEC knives. :? ::undecided:: ::cb::

~Q~
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

QTCut5 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:10 am
cudgee wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:35 pm $220. ::dang:: I well may regret that prediction. :mrgreen:
Only one (1) bid was placed in the final seconds :shock: ...final auction selling price: $190.17. So, you were pretty close with your prediction, cudgee. (Better watch out KJ, cudgee's gunnin' for your club house lead! :lol: )

I must admit, that surprises me...thought for sure it would hit closer to $250 at least (as did the last 8 of this exact same model & trim)--Proving once again how difficult it is to predict auction results for GEC knives. :? ::undecided:: ::cb::
I am really surprised ::uc:: that there was only one other bid with 3 hours to go in the auction. And if my memory serves me correctly, those plum scales were in high demand when first released, but don't quote me on that one. :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: Thanks for the update. ::tu:: :)
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

This is the Beginning of the End. It won't be a linear descent but a zig-zag with overall trend down when compared to a previous month.
But please note that i have a 50 year unbroken record: every financial prediction i have made proved to be wrong. However maybe it is now my turn to be correct ?
kj
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

kootenay joe wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:36 am This is the Beginning of the End. It won't be a linear descent but a zig-zag with overall trend down when compared to a previous month.
But please note that i have a 50 year unbroken record: every financial prediction i have made proved to be wrong. However maybe it is now my turn to be correct ?
kj
Every good run eventually comes to an end. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ::tu::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I think certain GEC's will continue to maintain their high value like those with mammoth or ivory handles and some of the #57 and #38 patterns, and other ones. It is the high prices that most GEC's have been getting that i see as coming down in value. But 'down' is relative. I think they all will continue to get at least their original price, but not double or more their original price.
kj
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

kootenay joe wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:23 pm I think certain GEC's will continue to maintain their high value like those with mammoth or ivory handles and some of the #57 and #38 patterns, and other ones. It is the high prices that most GEC's have been getting that i see as coming down in value. But 'down' is relative. I think they all will continue to get at least their original price, but not double or more their original price.
kj
:lol: :lol: :lol: I meant your 50 year run of financial predictions. :lol: :lol: :lol: ::tu:: :)
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Yes, i understand. Time will tell. We need to check back here in 6 months.
kj
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

kootenay joe wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:27 pm Yes, i understand. Time will tell. We need to check back here in 6 months.
kj
I have complete faith in you. ::tu::

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”