GEC #81 Bull Moose/Un-popular Design?

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: GEC #81 Bull Moose/Un-popular Design?

Post by Railsplitter »

kootenay joe wrote:A softer pull is a good pull. There is no need for springs that make a blade stiff to open. A spring serves 2 functions: 1) to keep the blade closed so that it cannot flop open or poke the tip above the liners, and 2) to hold the blade in the fully open position such that a slight knock on the spine does not take it off the fully open position. It does not take a 'bear trap' spring to do this. A 'softer' spring holds the blade open perfectly well.
If i carry a knife with strong springs i sometimes won't use it because i don't want the 'struggle' needed to open the blade. With a softer pull knife, there is no thinking about it, instead just get the knife out of pocket and open it, all easy & smooth.
Years ago i was a strong spring guy and thought a soft spring knife was inferior. Now i know better
kj
Good post Roland.

I used to be a real stickler for strong springs too but in the last 9 months I've taken on a different perspective very similar to yours. It was the GEC #35 Churchill that changed my perspective.

I like that pattern so much that I stuck one in my pocket even though I wasn't a fan of the softer spring at the time. After carrying and using the knife for the last 9 months I've really come to appreciate the softer spring. So much so that I find myself preferring softer springs nowadays when I buy a new knife. It's not a deal breaker but I prefer it. Makes the knife such a pleasure to use.

I still like good snap and a firm pull too but I've done a complete 180 as far as what I actually prefer.

I bought a GEC #81 Bull Moose from the last run and I think the springs on those are real nice too.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

"Makes the knife such a pleasure to use."
Yes !
kj
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

After reading the posts on this, I decided a while back to get one of the GEC Bull Moose #81. I got the antique amber jigged bone. My buddy Sundog also got one in jigged green bone. I think I got the last one in amber bone as they went off the page at KSF right after I ordered. I ordered one on sale and got it yesterday. My first GEC knife and third Moose pattern. Really great knives.
IMG_2642.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Your first GEC knife ! You have been holding off for over 10 years ! The GEC's are like going back in time 100 years and buying yourself a new Ulster Knife Co. or New York Knife Co, etc. They are of the same quality except the blade steel. GEC has made many traditional patterns and every one is a winner.
If a person is a collector of vintage traditional style knives, then also collecting a few GEC's fits right in. I have never been disappointed by a GEC knife.
I have the same #81 moose and now i would also like a moose with ebony, which is a very traditional handle material for this pattern (as is the jigged bone).
kj
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

kootenay joe wrote:Your first GEC knife ! You have been holding off for over 10 years ! The GEC's are like going back in time 100 years and buying yourself a new Ulster Knife Co. or New York Knife Co, etc. They are of the same quality except the blade steel. GEC has made many traditional patterns and every one is a winner.
If a person is a collector of vintage traditional style knives, then also collecting a few GEC's fits right in. I have never been disappointed by a GEC knife.
I have the same #81 moose and now i would also like a moose with ebony, which is a very traditional handle material for this pattern (as is the jigged bone).
kj
Yes, I had an agonizing decision between the antique amber bone and the Gabon Ebony. I love the ebony on any old knives I have with it. Might have to get another Moose in ebony! My other two Moose knives are a 1908 vintage Wilbert jigged bone and a Case XX 6275 red bone.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Ajd3530

Post by Ajd3530 »

My osage orange Tidioute has come to be my go-to knife around the kitchen on tasks that require a pearing knife sized blade. The action itself is like silk, and it has developed quite a satisfying talk as well.. My Northfiled ebony, however, has practicly 0 snap on the clip.

I wish they were less expensive, I'd probably get one of each available. But I do understand there is quite a bit of steel going on in these knives.
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

I bought an extra Appy bone 81 for myself for EDC when they came out, in NF trim. it just finished up yet another week of carry this Friday, and routinely gets a few to a number of totes each month. Snap isn't exemplary but I wouldn't call it "weak" on either blade. I consider it one of the more mechanically sound knives in my pile. Production numbers on that knife seem to have been pretty high, however, so the QC may not have been the same as what we've come to expect from GEC.
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Quote Ajd: "My Northfiled ebony, however, has practicly 0 snap on the clip."
This likely is due to some 'factory grit/gunk' in the pivot area. Try flushing it with WD-40 while moving the blade open-close (not all the way).
When it flushes clear lube with a few drops of mineral oil or other lube. Often this will restore snap. Please let us know if this helps.
kj
Ajd3530

Post by Ajd3530 »

kootenay joe wrote:Quote Ajd: "My Northfiled ebony, however, has practicly 0 snap on the clip."
This likely is due to some 'factory grit/gunk' in the pivot area. Try flushing it with WD-40 while moving the blade open-close (not all the way).
When it flushes clear lube with a few drops of mineral oil or other lube. Often this will restore snap. Please let us know if this helps.
kj
I've had to clean up quite a few folders of gunk, grit and the such. But I just can't seem to get this one anyway near decent. I've certainly tried.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

When the zero snap blade is fully open, how easy is it to get it off the fuuly open position ? i.e. does a light tap on the spine move it off fully open position ? If it does then i think it should be returned to GEC for a service job.
kj
Onearmbladejunkie

Post by Onearmbladejunkie »

I just bought my first #81 knife. I love the tiny knot-hole.
tidioute-cutlery-osage-orange-wood-bull-moose-68.jpg
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Onearmbladejunkie wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:40 pm I just bought my first #81 knife. I love the tiny knot-hole. tidioute-cutlery-osage-orange-wood-bull-moose-68.jpg
Certainly adds character. Nice! I like it!!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
FarSide
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by FarSide »

Nice one. You can't go wrong with Osage Orange.
I picked up a a Northfield Ebony. Unique that this one has satin blades. Also back when Tube tops were hand written ::tu::
Really a great knife with a large spear or clip.
#81 Gabon Moose.JPG
-Tim
Trouts

Post by Trouts »

I have always liked moose patterns. Bought an Amber jigged bone and the weak springs bothered me at first. Flushed the joints and after a few weeks it's smooth as butter with good snap. Liked it so much I bought another in Gabon Ebony. The one in Ebony has more snap out of the box and was smooth from the start. I think GEC did a nice job on the 81 moose and I can't complain one bit. It's a constant in my edc rotation.
Onearmbladejunkie

Post by Onearmbladejunkie »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:40 pm After reading the posts on this, I decided a while back to get one of the GEC Bull Moose #81. I got the antique amber jigged bone. My buddy Sundog also got one in jigged green bone. I think I got the last one in amber bone as they went off the page at KSF right after I ordered. I ordered one on sale and got it yesterday. My first GEC knife and third Moose pattern. Really great knives.

IMG_2642.JPG
I just received this same #81 Northfield antique amber jigged bone Moose knife. I got a light one. I also got the "Charleston green" 81 Moose. One shade darker and the scales would be black bone. The #82 stockman copperhead jigged bone was the best of the three that I received today. I am all caught up on NOS GEC knives. I am ready for some #23s. The Chinese Wooohan virus invasion is still happening , but the factory is a rocking again. Let the over time begin.

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”