GEC Stag

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
wazu013

Re: GEC Stag

Post by wazu013 »

This is the only one I have.
DSCN1517.JPG
DSCN1520.JPG
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

kootenay joe wrote:JohnR, you have been able to select some excellent stag. The #73 from 2015 and the #85 Harness Jack from 2011 are about as good as stag gets.
I do not like the brown dye they are using on stag in the last 1-2 years.
kj

Edited by administrator for language.

REMINDER: We are a family site.

Roland, for what its worth I think your 14 is not dyed but natural Sanbar Stag, it can vary in color, I think GEC did a pretty good job on matching your scales and it is an attractive knife albeit different from the norm. As far as I know if GEC is going to dye, burn or polish stag they will market it as such.

I went through my collection and found knives from 17 and 18, most still have some pretty nice stag on them.
Attachments
IMG_9772.jpg
IMG_9773.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

John, thanks for your post and your knives which show that GEC still mounts a lot of very good stag. These must be getting sold before i get to the dealer websites.
The 'dirty brown' color i don't like covers what normally would be the white that underlies the textured surface. I thought it was a dye job to make it look more like bolster to bolster stag.
If no dye is involved it is an unusual batch of antler: different species ? or old stock stored outside ? or ??
And, regarding "well matched", yes they are, but i do not require them to be. "Matching stag" is a relatively recent idea and i prefer the older idea of whatever the hafter felt would go nicely, sometimes a bit of a match, sometimes quite different. If it feels good in hand, then the handles are good.
kj
Open Range-19
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Open Range-19 »

Here is one of mine, #541214 Burnt Stag:
Attachments
IMG_7948.JPG
IMG_7955.JPG
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Very nice big jack you have O.R.
Are you making a long bow ?
kj
Open Range-19
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Open Range-19 »

Thanks,
Grew up shooting hickory and osage bows made by a friend. I have not made a bow although used to make bowstrings & cedar arrows many years ago.

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”