GEC # 97

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
Onearmbladejunkie

Re: GEC # 97

Post by Onearmbladejunkie »

I HAVE ONE ARM. I OPEN SOME OF MY FOLDERS WITH MY FEET AND A CASEXX BLADE PICK. I HAVE BEEN WANTING THE GEC#97S FOR A WHILE NOW. I HAVE 7 GEC#97S ON PREORDER. MY MAROON MICARTA AND THE BEAVER TAIL #97 CAME IN THE MAIL. I GOT BAR-B-Q AND FRIED CAT FISH STAINS ON THE MAROON MICARTA KNIFE TODAY. I OWN A 100+ KNIVES. THIS IS A 4 3/4" CLOSED KNIFE. THEY ARE THE SMOOTHEST BIG FOLDERS THAT I OWN. I HOLD THEM BETWEEN MY KNEES AND THEY OPEN RIGHT UP WITHOUT BREAKING MY THUMBNAIL. THE MAROON MICARTA #97 IS A GREAT WORK KNIFE. NOT BUYING THIS KNIFE BECAUSE IT NOT A NORTHFIELD IS INSANE !
971119-Maroon-Linen-Micarta-1.jpg
Onearmbladejunkie

The new #97 Autumn Gold jigged bones are being sent out to dealers next week.
778889999004.jpg
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Well finally, now maybe we'll get some good Northfields! :D
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Here is my jigged cherry wood handled 97. One of 3 I early reserved. Like this one a lot. They did a very fine job on this wooden handled knife.
SSk
Attachments
IMG_5279.jpeg
IMG_5280.jpeg
IMG_5281.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

nice little 'review' onearm. The micarta one looks very smooth & elegant, like an athlete in a tux.
kj
Edit to add: The maroon micarta #97 is so 'sharp' that i bought one last evening.
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

The new sabre clip dual pull Northfield 97 in Eboooony!! What do you all think of this variation?
Attachments
6EB7E587-35CE-42B3-A8D5-B752D9F1EADD.jpeg
Lloyd
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Duffer wrote:The new sabre clip dual pull Northfield 97 in Eboooony!! What do you all think of this variation?
Lloyd I think it is an instant classic, a must have . I can't wait for mine to arrive. ::super_happy::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Onearmbladejunkie

Tsar Bomba wrote:I've got a reservation on the smooth yellow rose bone NF (frankly shocked that these reservations are still open regardless of production run length) and I think I'll be checking out the Tidioute jigged bone. The ebony NF is also on my radar, pending shield.

Looking forward to these big hunters.
IMG_7790.jpg
Onearmbladejunkie

Duffer wrote:The new sabre clip dual pull Northfield 97 in Eboooony!! What do you all think of this variation?
I have mine on pre-order, waiting on an email to pay it off. I have two others and the Tidioute bone on the way. These are the smoothest hunter style knives that I have ever held in my only left hand. NO NAIL BREAKING ! I can't wait to test out the double nick knives , not like they are really needed. But they sure look cool.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The Northfield 97 with ebony is one the home page of GEC website. How long before it gets to the dealers ?
kj
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Two GEC's 97 Autumn Gold Jigged Bone & Maroon Linen Micarta :D
Attachments
Autumn Gold & Maroon Micarta
Autumn Gold & Maroon Micarta
Willian H,Ontario Rat, 97 GEC 020.JPG
Willian H,Ontario Rat, 97 GEC 022.JPG
Willian H,Ontario Rat, 97 GEC 025.JPG
Willian H,Ontario Rat, 97 GEC 026.JPG
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

[quote="kootenay joe"]"like an athlete in a tux."
Roland you are not only a knife connoisseur but a wordsmith as well. ::tu:: ::nod:: ::tu::
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

kennedy knives wrote:Two GEC's 97 Autumn Gold Jigged Bone & Maroon Linen Micarta :D
Very nice Gary. Seeing the Micarta one is making me think that I might need to pick up one of those also. I have the cherry jigged bone, the autumn gold bone on the way, an early reserve on the Ebony handled, and not sure on the stag. I convinced myself that I wouldn’t like the Micarta, but I was wrong, that’s beautiful.
By the way, what does the circle w/ the 3 P’s stand for?
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:
kennedy knives wrote:Two GEC's 97 Autumn Gold Jigged Bone & Maroon Linen Micarta :D
Very nice Gary. Seeing the Micarta one is making me think that I might need to pick up one of those also. I have the cherry jigged bone, the autumn gold bone on the way, an early reserve on the Ebony handled, and not sure on the stag. I convinced myself that I wouldn’t like the Micarta, but I was wrong, that’s beautiful.
But the way, what does the circle w/ the 3 P’s stand for?
SSk
Mark I believe it stands for Pre Production are in other words some of the 1st ones made
Gary
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Thanks Gary, I wasn’t coming up with anything on my own.
Here are two so far that have come in. I am liking the way these look side by side, makes for a pretty picture and display.
SSk
Attachments
IMG_5289.jpeg
IMG_5290.jpeg
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

They're here! They're here here ::super_happy:: ::super_happy:: just paid for mine at CK.
Attachments
97eb.jpg
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:By the way, what does the circle w/ the 3 P’s stand for?
Pattern Production Premiere. The first run (usually the Tidioutes since the Northfields come later) for a brand new pattern number. The Tidioutes of the recent #44 run were all etched "PPP" too.

I broke down and now there are a jigged cherrywood Tidioute and an ebony Northfield en route.
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I too received notification from CK that the ebony Northfield 97 is inbound (to CK) and so i too paid for it.
kj
HighPlains

Post by HighPlains »

4A469AB9-964F-4C68-9589-809E6A4356B8.jpeg
:shock: Those are some fat slabs!
7E605BF2-558C-4B3C-9076-260055C667BB.jpeg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Tsar Bomba wrote:
Sharpnshinyknives wrote:By the way, what does the circle w/ the 3 P’s stand for?
Pattern Production Premiere. The first run (usually the Tidioutes since the Northfields come later) for a brand new pattern number. The Tidioutes of the recent #44 run were all etched "PPP" too.

I broke down and now there are a jigged cherrywood Tidioute and an ebony Northfield en route.
You won’t be disappointed with the cherrywood jigged. It’s as nice as any I have.
Ebony on it’s way. I hope I can get one of those stags.
SSk
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Those stag slabs look top notch. I wish GEC would try to fit these by grinding off from the underside so as to have bolster to bolster exterior stag surface. There must be a reason why they grind off the top to get a fit to the bolsters. Likely it is easier but the old Sheffield dudes managed to haft with all exterior bark showing so i'm sure GEC could master it too.
kj
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

kootenay joe wrote:Those stag slabs look top notch. I wish GEC would try to fit these by grinding off from the underside so as to have bolster to bolster exterior stag surface. There must be a reason why they grind off the top to get a fit to the bolsters. Likely it is easier but the old Sheffield dudes managed to haft with all exterior bark showing so i'm sure GEC could master it too.
kj
Selecting the best looking stag is about like picking the prettiest girl was in junior high school. Fortunately we did not all think the same one was the best looking. My preference is smooth stag polished flush with the bolsters and a little bulge that keeps all of the bark high of the bolsters. The way Americans haft stag bolster to bolster bark necessitates exposed bolster edges that usually are radiused at the ends of grooves and other low spots. It is common on German knives to see almost bolster to bolster bark with an abrupt step down to the bolster. While to me that looks like the hafters did not blend the stag into the bolster to save time, that is another way to get nearly full bark coverage. While they were less common some of the 82 Dixie Stockmans had stag the way you like it. They did not sell fast so if you hunt through the pictures of individual stag 97s at stores there's a good chance you'll find a 97 that is to your taste.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

MSJ i think when the Stag 97's get to dealers they will be snapped up quickly. If you see a really nice one but then go on to check out the others, likely when you come back for the "really nice one" it will have been sold ::teary_eyes::
kj
FarSide
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by FarSide »

GEC-ILLUSTRATED.jpg
This is such a nice looking knife, but just too large for what I would need to carry. Still tempted to grab one though.
-Tim
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

kootenay joe,

There was plenty of time to pick out my stag 82 Dixie Stockmans. They were available about the first week of January and less that a week ago one dealer was still showing pictures of 33 individual knives. I took a couple of weeks selecting mine and during that time the number of Dixies that dealers were displaying pictures of dropped from about 80 to around 70. While I like large Coke bottles and other large slip joints they only appeal to a tiny percentage of knife buyers and either here or on Bladeforums it was posted that including all handle covers GEC is making over 5,000 97s. On the other hand, it appears popularity of GEC patterns decreases as the number of blades increases.

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”