#12 Small Toothpick

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: #12 Small Toothpick

Post by Sharpnshinyknives » Sun May 12, 2019 8:00 pm

kootenay joe wrote:They are 4" which 'in person' is much smaller than a full size 5" toothpick.
I agree that the blade might be more narrow, spine to edge, than it could have been. It is not a beefy blade at all. It looks a bit anorexic. However when in hand it might seem just right. A knife can give a different impression in hand than in a picture. "Never judge a knife by the picture".
kj

I didn’t remember seeing a lot about this in advance like I did on the 97’s or the 06’s. This one kind of snuck up on me. I got one of the camel bones on order last week and I know I reserved 2 different ones from CK. I didn’t see much chatter about it on here or many emails about it. Personally I like a toothpick style. Don’t find it all that practical but I do like the looks of just about any toothpick I have ever seen. I don’t think I will be disappointed with these either.
SSk
SSk (Mark)
“As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.” Proverbs

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kootenay joe » Sun May 12, 2019 9:58 pm

I think it is practical for many people. It is not an outdoor work knife for sure. But to have along with you in the business world or just out & about, you are unlikely to ever need more than what this knife can do, which is basic easy cutting. A sensible EDC for maybe 75% ? of GEC buyers.
kj

Onearmbladejunkie
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Onearmbladejunkie » Mon May 13, 2019 2:27 pm

I something last month about Toothpick knives. A blade-smith in France wanted to make a knife shaped like a "powder horn". (1880's ) A real "Texas Tooth Pick" is 5" or longer closed. These GEC#12 tooth picks are medium size.
IMG_8334.jpg

Onearmbladejunkie
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Onearmbladejunkie » Mon May 13, 2019 2:38 pm

DLT Trading SFO GEC#12 Tidioute dark color jigged bone with oak leaf shield
IMG_8326.jpg

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kootenay joe » Tue May 14, 2019 2:27 am

I ordered one of these with the Aqua Camel bone and it was at the Northport P.O. when i went there today.
I like it !
Nicely made knife with gorgeous handles that look like light colored jade, translucent as though you can see into it.
Pull is what i think is just right for this size of knife. Not stiff, but no wimp either, satisfying 'clunk' as it snaps into fully open.
Blade edge is sharp enough, acceptable but not quite what it could be.
Does GEC do the final edge work by hand sharpening on stones ? or all belt sander work ? There is only a very narrow edge grind on this blade, you need a loupe to see it.
However, overall it is a good knife and i am happy i bought it, esp. this one with these super nice handles.
I will get some pics tomorrow.
kj

Onearmbladejunkie
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Onearmbladejunkie » Tue May 14, 2019 2:11 pm

In the 1880s France , a French blade-smith wanted to make a large powder horn style knife. Later in Texas , Texas blade-smiths called them Texas Toothpicks. A Texas toothpick knife is 5" or longer closed. A 4" toothpick is a medium toothpick. A few knife producers use the term "small toothpick" to sell more knives. Effective , but bad blade manners ! Baw-ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha !

Onearmbladejunkie
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Onearmbladejunkie » Tue May 14, 2019 2:17 pm

These Frank's Tidioute blood red bone toothpick knives have been shipped to Frank's. If you want one , sent him an email. He sells knives on AAPK too.
12-Blood-Red-Jigged-Bone-frank.jpg

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kootenay joe » Tue May 14, 2019 2:43 pm

Here is "Jade", my #12. I just noticed there is a pin crack on the back side. Easy to see in the picture because it is larger than the knife. "In person" it is there but you have to look for it. Pin cracks seem to be fairly common with new stag or bone GEC knives.
These handle pieces really are beautiful so i am happy to keep it even though there is a crack.
kj
Attachments
IMGP6639.JPG
IMGP6640.JPG
IMGP6641.JPG

HighPlains

Post by HighPlains » Tue May 14, 2019 3:20 pm

It’s a nice looking knife, KJ. Thank you for posting it. I’ve been interested to see some photos. The translucent quality of the aqua really is nice.

Onearmbladejunkie
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Onearmbladejunkie » Tue May 14, 2019 8:41 pm

GREAT EASTERN CUTLERY #12 AQUA CAMEL BONE
6577889999333221116.jpg
6577889999333221116.jpg (9.13 KiB) Viewed 416 times

BAX229

Post by BAX229 » Tue May 14, 2019 8:52 pm

Another GEC with a crack from the factory...what is going on?!?

I'm sure it's a "natural crack," right?

Onearmbladejunkie
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Onearmbladejunkie » Wed May 15, 2019 8:59 pm

54667788344522.jpg

WillyCamaro
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by WillyCamaro » Thu May 16, 2019 5:26 am

Probably the bone they are using is very brittle. Also pinning it really low probably has something to do with it. Thin bone + pin + hammer + crack.
IMHO
"Four Queens; that'll beat just about any hand going! Sweet!!" - Steve Warden
"I Know Nothing! Nothing!" - Sgt. Schultz
"Would You Believe? Missed It By That Much" - Maxwell Smart; Agent 86

Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints » Thu May 16, 2019 4:44 pm

My first GEC purchase was three single blade #12s. Favoring less expensive brands I had completely ignored GEC so all I knew was that at the asking price for the three I'd regret it if I did not jump on them. I got two Tidoutes with Turkish clip blades and a saber ground Northfield. While I prefer the broader saber ground clip and would prefer a standard clip over the Turkish clips slender blades are traditional in toothpicks for filleting fish. Large toothpichs are so popular with fishermen that they are the pattern most commonly offered with a fish scaler/hook remover/bottle opener tool. The long slender pattern is a natural for that role. In contrast #12s are a reproduction of pre-WW II Remingtons that have handles that are broader for their length than any other recently manufactured toothpicks. A broader clip better matches the #12 pattern.

I'm not good at numbering snap but I'd call the spring strength of all three of mine perfect for a 4" knife. It is likely GEC is stamping current springs out of the same metal so it is likely their snap is also nice. My jigged River Blue Tidoute #12 has the most attractive color that I've seen on pocket knife bone. However, with three in hand I will not buy another unless GEC makes some with more than one blade. In the past they've made #12s with an additional pen blade. Since the clip master already provides a fine point a standard clip combined with a sheep's foot would make a very tempting #12.

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kootenay joe » Thu May 16, 2019 4:55 pm

Can you please post a picture of "My jigged River Blue Tidoute #12' ?
I have not heard of these handles and cannot find it on the GEC site.
kj

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”