GEC#29 Stockyard Whittler knife 2019

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
RalphAlsip

Re: GEC#29 Stockyard Whittler knife 2019

Post by RalphAlsip »

kootenay joe wrote:GEC dealers still have the 29 in both the Burnt Sienna and the Blood Red bone. Can anyone recommend if one looks better than the other ?
kj
Roland, here is a side-by-side picture for you to evaluate. Besides difference in bone color and jigging, you will notice differences (embellishments) that the Northfield trim has over the Tidioute trim. Differences include pinched bolster, lined bolster , long pull, swedge on clip, and likely others I didn't catch.

I have carried the Tidioute a few times and it is a comfortable size and with a useful blade selection. I fiddle with stuff in my pockets. I don't like the sharp edges on the exposed parts of the tang. Even though the clip blade tip is recessed into the frame, I can still prick my finger on the blade tip.
Attachments
GEC 29 Compare Tidioute & Northfield.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks for this help. I only just now realized that one is Tidioute and the other Northfield. I do prefer the Northfield 'trim'. I find the Tidioute a bit 'plain Jane', but i do like the Sienna bone color.
I also asked because sometimes a particular run comes out 'just right', every knife. I have not seen a post that speaks of an issue for either of these.
Most GEC dealers have examples of both available but the Snakewood and Bloodwood were quickly snapped up. Odd that the bone ones are slow to sell.
However sometimes there is a sudden 'turn-around' so i will get a Northfield with the red jigged bone while they are still plentiful.
kj
Fisherman79

Post by Fisherman79 »

GP Knives dropped 5 more stags at around 1:35 EST today. I was lucky enough to grab the last one. I held my breath for 3 minutes hoping for a an order confirmation email. At precisely 2:02 and 27 seconds the order confirmation email arrived. Today was my lucky day !

This will be my 2nd #29 Whittler. I also have the Bloodwood which is gorgeous. The dark red jig bone and burnt sienna jig bone are nice too. I'm hoping the dark red jig and burnt sienna jig remain in stock until the copperhead jig pattern comes out. I'd hate to choose between the red jig and sienna jig only for the copperhead jig to come out next week and cause me to regret a purchase decision. On the flip side...…….If I wait the red and sienna jib could go out of stock.

The leather punch is so useful for those who use knives. Using the leather punch can really save the blade point on your blades. We have all chipped, bent, or worn out many a blade point in our lives. I need at least 3 of this pattern. I know I will need 2 to carry and 1 to put up for the "collector game."
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Stag showed up today, best one yet, great fit and finish, perfect pulls.
Attachments
IMG_0846.jpg
IMG_0850.jpg
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

Just ordered a stag stockyard in the blind from CK. Fingers crossed.
Trace
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

John, very good stag on your 29. You are a lucky guy. Way more people would like to get a stag #29 than there are stag 29's. Maybe a 1 in 10 chance of getting one ?
kj
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Probably even less then that. 1 in 20 or 1 in 100 chance, they only make a couple hundred and then that's it. Just looking on TKC and all the stag are gone ::shrug:: You got to be fast, or don't even try to get em'. To much stress fighting for 1, when there are many other ones to chose from. What can you do.
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

WillyCamaro wrote:Probably even less then that. 1 in 20 or 1 in 100 chance, they only make a couple hundred and then that's it. Just looking on TKC and all the stag are gone ::shrug:: You got to be fast, or don't even try to get em'. To much stress fighting for 1, when there are many other ones to chose from. What can you do.
Collectorknives has 6 left but you have to buy them in the blind.
Trace
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

K. Thanks Rotten ::tu::
I am passing on them, got me eyeballs stuck on a different GEC. And the blood red bone. I personally like the jigged bone and woods more then this run of sandbar (had to throw that out... :mrgreen: ). I guess each of us has our own unique tastes when it comes to knives, and everything else for that matter :D .
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

The 29 stags seem to me to be fairly expensive. I was able to find the last one at a dealer site for $149.00. I saw that another dealer had sold out of his small allotment for $159.
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Stephen wrote:The 29 stags seem to me to be fairly expensive. I was able to find the last one at a dealer site for $149.00. I saw that another dealer had sold out of his small allotment for $159.
They're being flipped in AAPK stores now for around $220... ::facepalm::
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I do not see GEC knives as "too expensive" at dealer prices. The price has to be high enough to make enough profit that the employees can be well paid and therefore happy when at work. We need this so that GEC stays in business and maintain their high standards in knife making. GEC knives are great and we want this run of great knives to continue.
kj
Fisherman79

Post by Fisherman79 »

GP Knives just dropped 7 more in stag. Good luck !
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Knife Connection just dropped another 1/2 dozen stag, a couple are very nice, good luck.
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

kootenay joe wrote:John, very good stag on your 29. You are a lucky guy. Way more people would like to get a stag #29 than there are stag 29's. Maybe a 1 in 10 chance of getting one ?
kj
Thank you Roland, been spending a lot of time close to computer recovering from surgery, getting expensive though, have bought many knives and a car.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

"have bought many knives and a car."
Good for you John. We all deserve to treat ourselves at times. Life is short. Enjoy it.
kj
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

kootenay joe wrote:"have bought many knives and a car."
Good for you John. We all deserve to treat ourselves at times. Life is short. Enjoy it.
kj

Thanks Roland, the car was actually for my wife, she has always wanted a Mustang convertible and a low milage 2007 GT California Special popped up while I was waiting on surgery, ended up getting it for her and so far it's a great car, you know what they say Happy wife, Happy life.
Attachments
IMG_0484.jpg
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

KnivesShipFree currently has some #29's in sambar stag.
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

KSF are out.

TraditionalPocketKnives just dropped 13 on their site, couple of really nice ones in the mix.
Trace
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Wow nice car and a convertible ! Bet it will be fun to drive, sunny day, top down. :mrgreen:
kj
FarSide
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by FarSide »

Anyone got a "PPP" reversed etch? Apparently they have showed up on the Grits w/ Butter & Osage Orange from what I have seen. ::shrug::
PPP Reverse.jpg
-Tim
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

The Tidioute knives will have them since it is the pattern premiere production (first time the 29 was run).
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

FarSide wrote:Anyone got a "PPP" reversed etch? Apparently they have showed up on the Grits w/ Butter & Osage Orange from what I have seen. ::shrug::

PPP Reverse.jpg
My GBM acrylic #29 has the same mirror image Triple P etch. I’m curious what percentage of total production were made with this error.

Tsar Bomba wrote:The Tidioute knives will have them since it is the pattern premiere production (first time the 29 was run).
I believe that FarSide is referring to the fact that the Triple P etch on the knife shown in his photo is a mirror image of the normal “pattern premiere production” etch—this anomaly is apparently a factory error that occurred in a relatively small percentage of GBM acrylic and osage orange 29s.
Josh

/|\

“Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature, unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping.”
— Hubert Reeves
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Ah, totally escaped me that the etch was backwards. Now I'll have to check the Tidioutes I received...
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

My stag #29 showed up today. The stag on the few of these that I have seen pictures of seems pretty good on the 29's.
Attachments
GEC 29 Stag Front & Back.jpg
GEC 29 Stag Top & Bottom.jpg

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”