Great Eastern #86

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Great Eastern #86

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Quiet wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:34 pm
Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:05 pm Hopefully I have acquired the last 86 for my collection. Here are all of them. Didn’t realize that the Waynorth has a different secondary blade than all the others, had to open them all up for a shot together to notice that.
Longtime lurker, first time caller! This is an absolutely beautiful collection, and I am working to build a similar collection myself. I hesitate to mention but uhhh...well, that's ALMOST all of them. The Lone Star knives, there are three of them, are also built on the #86 chassis. I'm eagerly awaiting my USS Texas model in Pine. I believe all of the smooth bone, and the one in Teak are in the wind I'm afraid.
Well let me be the first to welcome you. Glad you like the knife line up. I’m not happy with the blade open picture but it was the best of the 3 I took. Just too many knives to get into a decent picture. So many get out of focus and you lose the details. Good to hear that I am not alone in my fondness for this pattern. Please post some pictures when you get yours. I haven’t heard of the Lone Star knives, so I will be checking those out.
Thanks for posting.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Welcome aboard Quiet. ::handshake::
Quiet

Post by Quiet »

Good morning, and thank you for the welcome! I will have to beg off on pictures for the moment, as I'm waiting for four members of the family to arrive, so to speak. If nothing else, I'll post up a picture of my #86 collection so far, this evening. I am really glad to have found this section, as having recently gotten back into Traditionals, I've wanted to get back up to speed. I've been into the "modern" folding knife world for years, so that's what I know. I'll post up that picture this weekend. I should probably see if there's a main section to properly introduce myself!
Quiet

Post by Quiet »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:16 pm
Quiet wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:34 pm
Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:05 pm Hopefully I have acquired the last 86 for my collection. Here are all of them. Didn’t realize that the Waynorth has a different secondary blade than all the others, had to open them all up for a shot together to notice that.
Longtime lurker, first time caller! This is an absolutely beautiful collection, and I am working to build a similar collection myself. I hesitate to mention but uhhh...well, that's ALMOST all of them. The Lone Star knives, there are three of them, are also built on the #86 chassis. I'm eagerly awaiting my USS Texas model in Pine. I believe all of the smooth bone, and the one in Teak are in the wind I'm afraid.
Well let me be the first to welcome you. Glad you like the knife line up. I’m not happy with the blade open picture but it was the best of the 3 I took. Just too many knives to get into a decent picture. So many get out of focus and you lose the details. Good to hear that I am not alone in my fondness for this pattern. Please post some pictures when you get yours. I haven’t heard of the Lone Star knives, so I will be checking those out.
Thanks for posting.
I have had similar issues when posting groups of knives myself, you're not alone! I'll say that taking proper pictures of traditionals (especially those with nickel bolsters :lol: ) can be a pain if you don't manage the light correctly, I've learned THAT by trial and error, I tell you what.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Quiet wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:55 pm I should probably see if there's a main section to properly introduce myself!
May I suggest "Member Introductions" here ---► viewforum.php?f=20

And may I further suggest you get out and explore AAPK, starting with the list of Forums that are available on the site. There's all kinds of good stuff here.

Home ‹ Knife Forum is at the top of every page and is a good starting place for your exploration. BTW, don't miss the "Tips and Tricks" forum which has directions and tutorials on how to do several things on AAPK such as how to post pictures from several devices.

And lest I forget, welcome to AAPK. Glad to have you aboard.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Mark, you definitely have an interest in the #86 jack pattern ! I think there is also a smooth white bone 86, possibly a single blade ?
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

kootenay joe wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:06 pm Mark, you definitely have an interest in the #86 jack pattern ! I think there is also a smooth white bone 86, possibly a single blade ?
kj
The smooth white bone is on my list, but the prices are a bit too high at the moment so I am going to be patient and enjoy the hunt.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

My name is Jack, Black Jack and i don't need a second blade, just gits in the way and makes ya fat and i ain't no fat Jack Black cat. I'm panther sleek.
Ya, Black Jack, Panther version:
kj
Attachments
IMGP8417.JPG
IMGP8416.JPG
IMGP8415.JPG
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Very nice. I would imagine this with the slimmer profile would be dynamite. I’m sure it would feel better in the pocket than the two blade. I like my 86’s but they are a big beefy knife. Do you know what this one weighs?
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:22 am Very nice. I would imagine this with the slimmer profile would be dynamite. I’m sure it would feel better in the pocket than the two blade. I like my 86’s but they are a big beefy knife. Do you know what this one weighs?
My 2 blade Bloodwood 86 weighs 112 grams or 4.0 ounces.
Single blade Black Jack is 86 grams or 3.0 ounces.
So the single blade weighs about 25% or 1/4, less than the 2 blade.
This knife does not need a secondary blade. The fairly large deep clip is enough blade. Usually a secondary blade sticks up enough to make the grip uncomfortable if you have master blade open and need to apply firm pressure as you cut. However this 86 as a 2 blade knife is actually quite comfortable in hand as the secondary rides low. However the single blade is more comfortable in hand and would remain so even when gripping very tightly.
I wonder why GEC did not do a Tidioute and Northfield run of single blade 86's ?
kj
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Was able to trade for one of the Damascus blade 86's, really like this one.
Attachments
IMG_1349.jpg
IMG_1354.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

JohnR, that is a sweet one. What is it's relationship to the Battleship Texas? ::shrug::
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

doglegg wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:19 pm JohnR, that is a sweet one. What is it's relationship to the Battleship Texas? ::shrug::
Thanks, the Damascus was made from steel that came from the battleship.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

JohnR wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:45 pm
doglegg wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:19 pm JohnR, that is a sweet one. What is it's relationship to the Battleship Texas? ::shrug::
Thanks, the Damascus was made from steel that came from the battleship.
Very sweet. A true Texas connection. And a beautiful knife. ::nod:: ::tu::
Rusty1

Post by Rusty1 »

The wood on the battleship knives is also from the ships. In the case of the USS Texas it's teak from the decks.

Russell
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Rusty1 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:19 pm The wood on the battleship knives is also from the ships. In the case of the USS Texas it's teak from the decks.

Russell

Thanks Russell. I was pretty sure the wood came from the decks but was not positive.
Rusty1

Post by Rusty1 »

JohnR wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:34 pm
Rusty1 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:19 pm The wood on the battleship knives is also from the ships. In the case of the USS Texas it's teak from the decks.

Russell

Thanks Russell. I was pretty sure the wood came from the decks but was not positive.
No problem John! Some stunning Damascus on your example.

Russell
Onearmbladejunkie

Post by Onearmbladejunkie »

I just bought a GEC#86 Oil Field Oil Sucker Rod wood jack knife. I spotted a #93 Rams-foot Oily Creek bone knife on Franks Classic Cutlery and it was sold out. So I went hunting and I spotted NOS knives at "Blue Creek Cutlery" More #93 Oily Creek bone and some NOS #86 Oil Field Jacks at low release date prices. "Oily Creek bone & Natural micarta #86" I bought an #81 Osage Orange wood knife with a rare knot-hole , #93 Oily Creek Bone , and an #86 Oil sucker rod wood knife. I think I did well. Blue Creek Cutlery has more NOS #86 Oil Suck Rod Wood and Natural micarta #86 knives in stock.
tidioute-easy-pocket-congress-284.jpg
tidioute-easy-pocket-congress-284.jpg (24.19 KiB) Viewed 3405 times
tidioute-cutlery-oily-creek-bone-ram-foot-10.jpg
tidioute-cutlery-oily-creek-bone-ram-foot-9.jpg
tidioute-cutlery-oily-creek-bone-ram-foot-9.jpg (21.54 KiB) Viewed 3405 times
tidioute-cutlery-osage-orange-wood-bull-moose-68.jpg
tidioute-easy-pocket-congress-284.jpg (24.19 KiB) Viewed 3405 times
Onearmbladejunkie

Blue Creek Cutlery : Only the #86 Oil sucker rod wood knives are left.
tidioute-easy-pocket-congress-284.jpg (24.19 KiB) Viewed 3402 times
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Ken at B.C.C. is a great fellow to deal with,
even if he does hang out with Roger ....
I miss getting to see him at Dalton
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
Gettingaboutthattime

Post by Gettingaboutthattime »

Better late than never right?
5E76EEDC-8A50-44AC-8990-6F2FF2823A71.jpeg
The blade is quickly getting accustomed to a patina thanks to strawberry cutting duties for my boys.
Onearmbladejunkie

Gettingaboutthattime wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 10:35 am Better late than never right?

5E76EEDC-8A50-44AC-8990-6F2FF2823A71.jpeg

The blade is quickly getting accustomed to a patina thanks to strawberry cutting duties for my boys.
OOOOh ! That is a nice one . I love my #86 collection. I wish I could of bought more.
fb8790075443.png
fb8790075443.png (51.06 KiB) Viewed 2474 times

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”