Great Eastern #86

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
Doc B

Re: Great Eastern #86

Post by Doc B »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:21 pm Tortoise acrylic 86. I like it, but not as well as the others. Anxious to see the stag. This one surprised me on the weight it’s 4 oz dead even. I would have thought that acrylic would have been lighter than the wooden handled ones. One thing I noticed right off is that the surface is very slick. They oil the blades so heavily at the factory that it gets all over the handles. When you put this back in the wax paper it picks it up again. You have to wipe this down each time you take it out. Which tells me that if you were using this knife regularly you would have a problem with this slick surface just from sweat and any oils you might come into contact with. This is the first bigger acrylic knife from GEC I have purchased. I think I was wise to stay away from acrylic on these bigger knives. The 61 I have in perylic isn’t as slick but it has a very small amount of surface area. Curious what others think of this 86 in acrylic.
Mark, I too, just got this. I had reserved it, when it was an only choice...however, I was able to pick one up in bone, too. I hadn't thought about it being slick, if your hands get sweaty...but I'm sure that would be an issue. Now, I know you like them shiny; but, my first overall impression of this knife, was that it was too shiny...blades, bolsters and acrylic. My personal opinion, was that it would look better, with patina, and worn bolsters and acrylic. I thought about making it a user...but the main blade is a little on the large side, for my EDC preference. I generally use the primary blade, the most, on most knives...but if I carried this one, would probably end up using the secondary sheeps foot the most. For now, it's back in the tube. I like the bone much better.
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Doc B wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:37 am
Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:21 pm Tortoise acrylic 86. I like it, but not as well as the others. Anxious to see the stag. This one surprised me on the weight it’s 4 oz dead even. I would have thought that acrylic would have been lighter than the wooden handled ones. One thing I noticed right off is that the surface is very slick. They oil the blades so heavily at the factory that it gets all over the handles. When you put this back in the wax paper it picks it up again. You have to wipe this down each time you take it out. Which tells me that if you were using this knife regularly you would have a problem with this slick surface just from sweat and any oils you might come into contact with. This is the first bigger acrylic knife from GEC I have purchased. I think I was wise to stay away from acrylic on these bigger knives. The 61 I have in perylic isn’t as slick but it has a very small amount of surface area. Curious what others think of this 86 in acrylic.
Mark, I too, just got this. I had reserved it, when it was an only choice...however, I was able to pick one up in bone, too. I hadn't thought about it being slick, if your hands get sweaty...but I'm sure that would be an issue. Now, I know you like them shiny; but, my first overall impression of this knife, was that it was too shiny...blades, bolsters and acrylic. My personal opinion, was that it would look better, with patina, and worn bolsters and acrylic. I thought about making it a user...but the main blade is a little on the large side, for my EDC preference. I generally use the primary blade, the most, on most knives...but if I carried this one, would probably end up using the secondary sheeps foot the most. For now, it's back in the tube. I like the bone much better.
Doc, I agree. The bone is better, but for me the wooden handles are the best of the batch, until the stag comes out at least.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Onearmbladejunkie

Post by Onearmbladejunkie »

The #86 Oil Field Jack Sambar Stag knives are just about to be released !
IMG_0951.jpg
IMG_0948.jpg
IMG_0945.jpg
IMG_0944.jpg
IMG_0942.jpg
IMG_0940.jpg
IMG_0936.jpg
IMG_0929-scaled.jpg
Onearmbladejunkie

6577778221133000087009.jpg
79509092_2551880381760674_8042532123837464576_n.jpg
Breeze

Post by Breeze »

I have a sucker rod wood and have an autumn bone in the mail. I've been surprised at how well this big chunk 'o knife carries in jeans.
86-1.JPG
Mike
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

When will the Waynorth #86 be released ?
Are they sent to certain dealers ? Or, only available directly from Mr. Campagna ?
kj
Onearmbladejunkie

kootenay joe wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:30 am When will the Waynorth #86 be released ?
Are they sent to certain dealers ? Or, only available directly from Mr. Campagna ?
kj
I checked with all of the dealers yesterday. Your best chance is KnivesShipFree. Nine to 15 knives and about 300 collectors trying to buy one.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks onearm. With those low numbers my slow internet connection prevents any chance of scoring one.
kj
Onearmbladejunkie

kootenay joe wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:31 pm Thanks onearm. With those low numbers my slow internet connection prevents any chance of scoring one.
kj
I am in the same boat. Don't sweat it man. Some great GEC knives are coming up in 2020. I am saving up for the unknown trappers. If I can't get what I want , I'll just order another snakewood custom.
74442962_1007069046308166_5121977714294652928_n.jpg
Onearmbladejunkie

12/20/2019 at 7:04PM tonight , I was surfing Gunstock Jacks. I clicked on Waynorth Knives and looked what popped up. I have been in chronic phantom pain all day waiting on a Charlie Waynorth #86 Black Jack knife. I snagged that sucker too. I am very happy and blessed ! Not my photos !
Hat w Black 1.jpg
65789000023411109.jpg
6FEeyU.jpg
ddWtOs.jpg
GEC-ILLUSTRATED-2.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Well oabj your lucky day. Congrats. ::tu:: ::tu::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Great good luck !
I got the Gunstock Jack email and went right to his site but saw "Sorry, Out of Stock", or similar. Bet they were gone within 1 minute.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Has anyone bought a stag 86 ? Is anyone planning to ? Or have there already been enough 86's that everyone has their fill ?
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I just ordered my stag one from CK minutes ago. I noticed yesterday that Kifer Cutlery had 3 of these for sale on EBay.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

KSF has the Stag 86. Get em while they're hot! :D
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

KSF and Knife Connection both have stag 86's.
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Traditional Pocket Knives sold out in less than an hour. :shock:
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

This was the one I was waiting for. Thankfully I saw the email right away and snagged it. ::super_happy::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

CollectorKnives had some stag #86s just a minute ago.
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

It will be interesting to see the 86's lined up, each with a different handle and have the owner comment about ant difference with in hand feel.
Stag certainly suits a 'heavy duty' Jack but with some knives jigged bone or ebony wood suits it even more than stag.
I think stag will be the most attractive of all the #86 handles but we need a few collectors with one of every handle to let us know.
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Stag 86 came today. I will line them all up for another shot of all of them. I still think my favorite is the Bloodwood. The stag has a better grip but the in hand feel is best on the bloodwood, for me that is.
Attachments
IMG_1925.jpeg
IMG_1926.jpeg
IMG_1927.jpeg
Drukai

Post by Drukai »

Just got Blade forums SFO in yesterday a beauty! Single blade.
Attachments
B43B038F-183C-431D-AA6D-80A98E7F1530.jpeg
"I don't think you can ever do your best. Doing your best is a process of trying to do your best". Townes Van Zandt

In search of GEC 15 Farm Boy knife user or new(My Grail)
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

I got my stag 86 today. What a nice hefty knife this 86 is. ::super_happy:: I really like it!
Attachments
IMG_5613 (2).JPG
IMG_5614 (2).JPG
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I was up for one of the stag handled editions of the 86's (I really like the 86's and I really like stag so......) but I was otherwise engaged when the email was sent out and didn't see it until after they were all gone. After I saw the price, I was glad. Wow! ::uc::
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

You scored a nice one, Greg...Sweet Stag! ::tu::
~Q~

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”