Great Eastern #86

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
cudgee

Re: Great Eastern #86

Post by cudgee »

If anyone is looking for a #86 GEC, i was informed by email from Old Town Cutlery this morning that they have a few in stock, they were still available when i last checked, but might be gone by now. Hope everyone has a good weekend. ::handshake::
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Great looking lineup, Sharpnshinyknives!
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

1967redrider wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:51 pm Great looking lineup, Sharpnshinyknives!
Thanks, I had some extra time and lined these up several ways to find the best look. I will have to recreate this after the tortoise shell acrylic arrive and if I can get a stag when they are released. Thought I had one at CK but got an email this week saying that my “confirmed” was changed to “stand by” looks like they will be releasing fewer of these in stag than expected. Stag is going to be really tough to get.
Here are two more photo’s, changed the focal point on each one. Couldn’t decide which one I liked best.
Attachments
IMG_1768.jpeg
IMG_1769.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

This #86 with the Northfield trim and Autumn Gold jigged bone looks so good i just bought one. From the descriptions posted, this is one old time heavy duty knife. The fairly 'deep' clip blade and coping secondary will suit all situations.
I am looking forward to this knife. I think i will get the "Oh Wow !" reaction when take it in hand.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Mark, is there one of the 5 that 'grabs you' the most ?
Do they all feel similar in hand ? Or is there enough difference in handle weight to give each a specific in hand feel ?
I am assuming the 2 with bone handles are the heaviest.
If you have an old pot scale you could weigh them :D
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

The Northfield is certainly more visually appealing with the swedge on the blade and the higher polish. In hand I like the feel of the wooden handled ones best. The Northfield has the best grip since you have that jigging. I love the Oily Creek Bone look but it is a bit slick and if you sweat while using it then it could be problem.
The bone handles are definitely heavier than the wooden handled ones. I will try to weigh them tomorrow on our postal scale.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:03 am
1967redrider wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:51 pm Great looking lineup, Sharpnshinyknives!
Thanks, I had some extra time and lined these up several ways to find the best look. I will have to recreate this after the tortoise shell acrylic arrive and if I can get a stag when they are released. Thought I had one at CK but got an email this week saying that my “confirmed” was changed to “stand by” looks like they will be releasing fewer of these in stag than expected. Stag is going to be really tough to get.
Here are two more photo’s, changed the focal point on each one. Couldn’t decide which one I liked best.
I think I like the "blades open" picture the best, if you're looking for input. ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Mark, thank you for the details about your #86 knives. I am surprised that the wood handles feel so good.
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

kootenay joe wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:52 am Mark, thank you for the details about your #86 knives. I am surprised that the wood handles feel so good.
kj
So here is the breakdown on weight. The two wooden handled knives each come in at exactly 3.8oz. The Oily Creek Bone is heavier at 4.2oz and the Northfield Autumn Gold Jigged Bone is heaviest at 4.3oz. So the bone handles are 10% and 13% heavier respectively. It’s funny that you can actually sense the difference in weight enough that it makes one feel better in hand than another. And I still prefer the wooden handles over the others and maybe it’s just the weight difference? I have carried a Kershaw Double Cross in both Stamina and Ebony wood for over 15 years so that may have something to do with it as well.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Mark, thanks for weighing these. I am a bit surprised that the bone weighs that much more. But i am not surprised that you can feel the difference.
Pocket knives look to be deceptively simple but really they are marvels of design and fit. A 3 1/4" knife feels much bigger than a 3" knife even though it is only 1/4" longer. And the weight distribution is also important in balance. Only takes less than 0.5 ounce in handle weight to change the balance and the feel in hand.
Good thing here is, some people like a heavier in hand feel, others prefer a light in hand feel and this #86 seems to provide both based on which handles it has.
I think the Northfield with jigged bone looks the best so far. I will have to wait to find out if the heavier in hand feel also suits me best.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The #86 with "Tortoise shell Acrylic" handles is now available at GEC dealers. These handles make me think of the old shell handled Imperial knives even though the handle construction is not the same. I do not find these appealing, at least in the pictures. "In person" i might get a different reaction.
Does anyone here like the #86 with these handles ?
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I’m going to reserve my judgement until I see the one I ordered in hand. I usually don’t go for acrylic handles, I guess I was in a different mood the day I reserved one. So far I am not impressed with the photos of these. But many times the photo’s don’t capture that quality that will make you glad you bought it.
Onearmbladejunkie

Post by Onearmbladejunkie »

GEC-ILLUSTRATED-3.jpg
IMG_0878.jpg
IMG_0877.jpg
IMG_0875.jpg
IMG_0845.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The BladeForums knife is basically an expensive box cutter. Thick blade with a straight edge. There is a reason you don't see a saber ground sheepsfoot blade on a vintage knife. The blade is designed to trim thin slices of hoof with a draw cut (cutting towards yourself, like peeling an apple). A full flat grind which is the usual for this blade will slice through with less 'drag' than a thicker saber ground blade can.
But i bet for guys whose job it is to cut up cardboard boxes for recycling, this new BF knife is just fine.
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Tortoise acrylic 86. I like it, but not as well as the others. Anxious to see the stag. This one surprised me on the weight it’s 4 oz dead even. I would have thought that acrylic would have been lighter than the wooden handled ones. One thing I noticed right off is that the surface is very slick. They oil the blades so heavily at the factory that it gets all over the handles. When you put this back in the wax paper it picks it up again. You have to wipe this down each time you take it out. Which tells me that if you were using this knife regularly you would have a problem with this slick surface just from sweat and any oils you might come into contact with. This is the first bigger acrylic knife from GEC I have purchased. I think I was wise to stay away from acrylic on these bigger knives. The 61 I have in perylic isn’t as slick but it has a very small amount of surface area. Curious what others think of this 86 in acrylic.
Attachments
IMG_1833.jpeg
IMG_1834.jpeg
IMG_1835.jpeg
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:21 pm Tortoise acrylic 86. I like it, but not as well as the others. Anxious to see the stag. This one surprised me on the weight it’s 4 oz dead even. I would have thought that acrylic would have been lighter than the wooden handled ones. One thing I noticed right off is that the surface is very slick. They oil the blades so heavily at the factory that it gets all over the handles. When you put this back in the wax paper it picks it up again. You have to wipe this down each time you take it out. Which tells me that if you were using this knife regularly you would have a problem with this slick surface just from sweat and any oils you might come into contact with. This is the first bigger acrylic knife from GEC I have purchased. I think I was wise to stay away from acrylic on these bigger knives. The 61 I have in perylic isn’t as slick but it has a very small amount of surface area. Curious what others think of this 86 in acrylic.
Mark, I too, just got this. I had reserved it, when it was an only choice...however, I was able to pick one up in bone, too. I hadn't thought about it being slick, if your hands get sweaty...but I'm sure that would be an issue. Now, I know you like them shiny; but, my first overall impression of this knife, was that it was too shiny...blades, bolsters and acrylic. My personal opinion, was that it would look better, with patina, and worn bolsters and acrylic. I thought about making it a user...but the main blade is a little on the large side, for my EDC preference. I generally use the primary blade, the most, on most knives...but if I carried this one, would probably end up using the secondary sheeps foot the most. For now, it's back in the tube. I like the bone much better.
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Doc B wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:37 am
Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:21 pm Tortoise acrylic 86. I like it, but not as well as the others. Anxious to see the stag. This one surprised me on the weight it’s 4 oz dead even. I would have thought that acrylic would have been lighter than the wooden handled ones. One thing I noticed right off is that the surface is very slick. They oil the blades so heavily at the factory that it gets all over the handles. When you put this back in the wax paper it picks it up again. You have to wipe this down each time you take it out. Which tells me that if you were using this knife regularly you would have a problem with this slick surface just from sweat and any oils you might come into contact with. This is the first bigger acrylic knife from GEC I have purchased. I think I was wise to stay away from acrylic on these bigger knives. The 61 I have in perylic isn’t as slick but it has a very small amount of surface area. Curious what others think of this 86 in acrylic.
Mark, I too, just got this. I had reserved it, when it was an only choice...however, I was able to pick one up in bone, too. I hadn't thought about it being slick, if your hands get sweaty...but I'm sure that would be an issue. Now, I know you like them shiny; but, my first overall impression of this knife, was that it was too shiny...blades, bolsters and acrylic. My personal opinion, was that it would look better, with patina, and worn bolsters and acrylic. I thought about making it a user...but the main blade is a little on the large side, for my EDC preference. I generally use the primary blade, the most, on most knives...but if I carried this one, would probably end up using the secondary sheeps foot the most. For now, it's back in the tube. I like the bone much better.
Doc, I agree. The bone is better, but for me the wooden handles are the best of the batch, until the stag comes out at least.
Onearmbladejunkie

The #86 Oil Field Jack Sambar Stag knives are just about to be released !
IMG_0951.jpg
IMG_0948.jpg
IMG_0945.jpg
IMG_0944.jpg
IMG_0942.jpg
IMG_0940.jpg
IMG_0936.jpg
IMG_0929-scaled.jpg
Onearmbladejunkie

6577778221133000087009.jpg
79509092_2551880381760674_8042532123837464576_n.jpg
Breeze

Post by Breeze »

I have a sucker rod wood and have an autumn bone in the mail. I've been surprised at how well this big chunk 'o knife carries in jeans.
86-1.JPG
Mike
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

When will the Waynorth #86 be released ?
Are they sent to certain dealers ? Or, only available directly from Mr. Campagna ?
kj
Onearmbladejunkie

kootenay joe wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:30 am When will the Waynorth #86 be released ?
Are they sent to certain dealers ? Or, only available directly from Mr. Campagna ?
kj
I checked with all of the dealers yesterday. Your best chance is KnivesShipFree. Nine to 15 knives and about 300 collectors trying to buy one.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks onearm. With those low numbers my slow internet connection prevents any chance of scoring one.
kj
Onearmbladejunkie

kootenay joe wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:31 pm Thanks onearm. With those low numbers my slow internet connection prevents any chance of scoring one.
kj
I am in the same boat. Don't sweat it man. Some great GEC knives are coming up in 2020. I am saving up for the unknown trappers. If I can't get what I want , I'll just order another snakewood custom.
74442962_1007069046308166_5121977714294652928_n.jpg
Onearmbladejunkie

12/20/2019 at 7:04PM tonight , I was surfing Gunstock Jacks. I clicked on Waynorth Knives and looked what popped up. I have been in chronic phantom pain all day waiting on a Charlie Waynorth #86 Black Jack knife. I snagged that sucker too. I am very happy and blessed ! Not my photos !
Hat w Black 1.jpg
65789000023411109.jpg
6FEeyU.jpg
ddWtOs.jpg
GEC-ILLUSTRATED-2.jpg

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”