GEC #62 Easy Pocket Congress first knife of 2020

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: GEC #62 Easy Pocket Congress first knife of 2020

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

doglegg wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:50 pm
Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:43 pm Am I seeing things or does that pocket carver have 3 Wharncliffe blades? What is GEC’s fascination with Wharncliffe blades? I mean they are handy and all but can’t they put a clip or a spear blade on there instead of 3 Wharncliffes?
SSK, its perfect if you are a whittler. ::nod::
I guess so, but I would think, and I don’t know, that a curved blade would be handy at times when working with wood. Having one blade w/ a curve would make it more appealing to a wider audience.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:55 pm I guess so, but I would think, and I don’t know, that a curved blade would be handy at times when working with wood. Having one blade w/ a curve would make it more appealing to a wider audience.
I have a sneaking suspicion that the Pocket Carver will be the runaway hit of the 62 run. ::shrug::
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Tsar Bomba wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:14 pm
Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:55 pm I guess so, but I would think, and I don’t know, that a curved blade would be handy at times when working with wood. Having one blade w/ a curve would make it more appealing to a wider audience.
I have a sneaking suspicion that the Pocket Carver will be the runaway hit of the 62 run. ::shrug::
It wouldn’t be the first time I was wrong, nor will it be the last.
I should pull out all my GEC knives and count how many have Wharncliffe blades. That would be a good snow day project.
My EDC is a Kershaw Double Cross which has a Wharncliffe blade and a clip blade. So I am not opposed to the Wharncliffe, I just don’t need 3 on the same knife.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
MadTrapper

Post by MadTrapper »

The #62 Pocket Whittler looks like an awesome knife! ::tu::
"A knife is as personal and necessary a thing as a man ever owns." Bob Loveless
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

This was posted yesterday on Twitter-
Attachments
Screenshot_20200108-175434.png
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

Does the #62 Pocket Carver have two spring bearing on the master and separated at the secondary blade end by a wedge?
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

For those who missed the drop on the 62 red jigged bone a seller on Ebay has 9 left, he had 10 but I bought one.
Kifercutleryclassics. Not my knives or website. https://www.ebay.com/itm/GEC-Tidioute-6 ... %7Ciid%3A1
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Modern Slip Joints wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:43 am Does the #62 Pocket Carver have two spring bearing on the master and separated at the secondary blade end by a wedge?
I don't know if there will be a wedge between the springs but it is set up as a "whittler", so master blade will bear on both springs and each of the secondaries will have their own spring. There are various ways to get the clearances needed. A wedge between the springs is the most commonly seen now.
kj
FarSide
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by FarSide »

kootenay joe wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:45 pm
Modern Slip Joints wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:43 am Does the #62 Pocket Carver have two spring bearing on the master and separated at the secondary blade end by a wedge?
I don't know if there will be a wedge between the springs but it is set up as a "whittler", so master blade will bear on both springs and each of the secondaries will have their own spring. There are various ways to get the clearances needed. A wedge between the springs is the most commonly seen now.
kj
Heard from another dealer & site that it will not be of Split-back construction.
-Tim
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

FarSide wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:59 pm
kootenay joe wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:45 pm
kj
Heard from another dealer & site that it will not be of Split-back construction.
O.K. but i do not know what might be meant by "split back".
The original "split backspring" whittler had one spring that was split lengthwise for about half or more of it's length. These have not been made for about 150 years.
The other way to make this "Carver" is with 3 springs. It would be more bulky and technically not a whittler.
How soon is it going to be made ?
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Blood red jigged bone 62 arrived today. I like this one as much as the Maverick. Can’t wait to get the others.
Attachments
IMG_2150.jpeg
IMG_2152.jpeg
IMG_2153.jpeg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Who is going to be offering those Snakewoods?
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:03 pm Who is going to be offering those Snakewoods?
DLT Trading.
http://greateasterncutlery.net/blog/pro ... -schedule/
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Thanks Rick.
Onearmbladejunkie

Post by Onearmbladejunkie »

DLT Trading #62 Easy Pocket Congress (blue camel bone , snakewood , maroon micarta , desert ironwood)
IMG_1184.jpg
IMG_1182.jpg
IMG_1180.jpg
IMG_1171.jpg
IMG_1165.jpg
IMG_1152.jpg
IMG_1150.jpg
IMG_1066-1.jpg
Onearmbladejunkie

Rotten Banana camel bone #62 Easy Pocket Congress
IMG_1179.jpg
IMG_1169.jpg
Onearmbladejunkie

62-Unicorn.jpg
87900006540444.jpg
62-Blood-Red.jpg
86-925-459x1024.jpg
620220-300x232.jpg
620220-300x232.jpg (13.07 KiB) Viewed 3495 times
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

This 62 half congress is the same as in 2013, wharncliffe master and pen secondary. I would have liked to see different blades this time. Use a wharncliffe for the secondary blade and have either a spear point or long pen blade as the master. But instead it is a repeat of the 2013 #62.
kj
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

kootenay joe wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:02 am This 62 half congress is the same as in 2013, wharncliffe master and pen secondary. I would have liked to see different blades this time. Use a wharncliffe for the secondary blade and have either a spear point or long pen blade as the master. But instead it is a repeat of the 2013 #62.
Same blade options as the similar-ish #13 Clerk run of 2017, too.

I didn't bother with the other #62 options after losing out on the camel bone for that reason.
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Surprised I haven’t seen more of these 62’s posted. This is my second one, Unicorn Ivory Acrylic. Like this acrylic handle better than just about any I have seen. It’s not got that slick feel that the 86 tortoise shell acrylic has. This is a gorgeous knife. It looks really good next to the blood red and my Northfield Maverick in King Wood.
Attachments
IMG_2209.jpeg
IMG_2210.jpeg
IMG_2211.jpeg
Onearmbladejunkie

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:41 pm Surprised I haven’t seen more of these 62’s posted. This is my second one, Unicorn Ivory Acrylic. Like this acrylic handle better than just about any I have seen. It’s not got that slick feel that the 86 tortoise shell acrylic has. This is a gorgeous knife. It looks really good next to the blood red and my Northfield Maverick in King Wood.
There are two different #62 unicorn ivory acrylic Easy Pocket Congress knives. You have the grainy version. There is a solid slick white ivory version too. JSR Sports & More offers both versions. The other dealers need to be contacted before purchase , if it matters to you. I have one arm , so I like the grainy version best.

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”