"Black Lip Pearl LG"

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
kootenay joe

"Black Lip Pearl LG"

Post by kootenay joe »

I have a most attractive GEC 4 blade Cattle knife #531410 with handles of much color called "Black Lip Pearl LG +"
Is this real black lip pearl with a clear acrylic overlay to protect it ? Or, is this a 100% synthetic substance ?
GEC has also used "Pink Awabi" for handles and it is supposedly a type of pearl shell. I believe these have a clear acrylic overlay.
Does anyone here know (not 'think' or 'believe') what the material is in the GEC "Black Lip Pearl LG" handles ?
And, any info about the "Pink Awabi" ?
kj
Attachments
IMGP8199.JPG
IMGP4767.JPG
IMGP4768.JPG
Beavertail

Re: "Black Lip Pearl LG"

Post by Beavertail »

These knives have a thin layer of black lip pearl and pink awabi(abalone) and are covered with an acrylic coating. The LG stands for looking glass.
Hope this helps. ::handshake::
Tim
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

Masecraft Supply in CT is one source of the material: https://www.masecraftsupply.com/. The image below is from their website. Note that in some cases the shell veneer is tinted to create more striking colors.

This video has some discussion of the material as well as some good close-ups of two different different types of GEC abalone handled knives:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHLhdwZxX7g.

Dennis
Attachments
ALVS-Acrylic-Laminated-Shell-Veneer-Sheets-001.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Wow, great info ! Thank you Dennis. Pretty well answers my question: natural, perhaps modified but not synthetic.
kj

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”