Do GEC's Dye Color Descriptions Ever Match The Actual Color Of The Bone Cover?

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
RFL

Do GEC's Dye Color Descriptions Ever Match The Actual Color Of The Bone Cover?

Post by RFL »

Most of my bone covers range from dark brown to tan (I have one Yellow Rose and a few reds). However, the dye color descriptions on the tube caps are: Brown, Saddle Brown, Walnut, Burnt Orange, Amber, Autumn Gold, Antique Autumn.

The Browns are indeed some type of brown, the Walnut is very close to Black Walnut, and the Burn Orange does have a slight amount of orange in it. The other dye colors vary greatly, with the Autumns having the largest actual color range. The adjective Antique seems to make the dye color darker, but not always.

I am curious about your opinions or observations concerning bone cover color verses dye color description. Or, is shades of brown good enough?

I am aware that bone density/porosity, solvent purity, and relative humidity are all factors in dye lot variation. Not to mention, Marketing.
kootenay joe

Re: Do GEC's Dye Color Descriptions Ever Match The Actual Color Of The Bone Cover?

Post by kootenay joe »

I agree that the GEC descriptive names for various bone handles are not accurate. Early on this bothered me, but i have come to accept that these names are just for 'marketing', make them sound irresistible. You only know what the bone handles will look like when the knife has been made. You cannot know what they will look like based on the 'descriptive' GEC name. And different runs of the same named handles look different.
So now i just look at the knives to see which appeal to me and don't care what name GEC gives to the handles.
kj
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Do GEC's Dye Color Descriptions Ever Match The Actual Color Of The Bone Cover?

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK.

We’ve had this same discussion here previously in other threads. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=58427&hilit=Hafting ... 15#p671767 I suspect the colors described were accurate BEFORE hafting. Hafting removes material from the surface of the dyed bone. The deeper into the bone you go, the bone was less penetrated by the dye and as that is exposed by hafting it is a lighter shade, or even a different color (for example brown turns to yellow).

Why does GEC choose to describe the original color rather than the finished color? You’ll have to ask them.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
RFL

Post by RFL »

I have a pre-order for a #23 liner lock with brown jigged bone. I hope I will be pleasantly surprised with the color because plain brown can be boring. The #23 Schrade that was made for Taylor Brands has a flat and dull brown color, but nice jigging.

I did not pre-order the Antique Autumn instead, because it has smooth bone covers. I prefer jigged bone. Smooth bone is only appealing when brightly colored, such as, the Yellow Rose or the Northwoods with Aqua Marine.
RFL

Post by RFL »

Ken,

Thank you for the link, and the practical assessment.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I'm not sure hafting is the full explanation because sometimes the finished knives are darker than in pictures showing handle slabs pre-hafting.
It seems more like the catchy name is thought of first and then the dye chosen in hope of matching the name.
kj

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”