Secondary Market Prices

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
Ivoryman

Re: Secondary Market Prices

Post by Ivoryman »

QTCut5 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:08 pm
Ivoryman wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:23 am No secondary market people paying two or three or four or five times retail price for a Case.
Not necessarily true. As you know, in addition to the outrageous prices the CO-OP/FFA/4-H Case knives are fetching, the older (pre 1980s) Case knives are also bringing much higher prices.

Less than two years ago I purchased several XX era 07s in Red, Green and Brown Bone for well less than half the price this one just sold for. And this isn't the only one that I've seen sell for over $200 in the past year. I think the secondary market knife prices are increasing on many brands, not just GEC/Northwoods.

eBay auction final selling price: $388.00 (+$6.95 s/h)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/234436773678?s ... true&rt=nc
Case 6207 XX Era.jpg
Ahhhh famous last words, you got me. But as you know that was many moons ago from July of last year Brother Q, and it was more true then than it is now indeed. And I admit I was wrong looking forward. Wrong in thinking the rising prices would not raise all knives. I see knives like this that used to go for a hundredish now in the stratosphere. I think the small supply of these oldies is like the small supply of GEC and they are both going up. All kinds of vintage knives now are skyrocketing. And they should, they blow the moderns away. But even modern Case, which I can't believe I'm saying, modern Case stuff with ivory or those 4H knives, they are going up to the stratosphere too. Amazing. And more evidence that those who think prices will come down soon might be even farther from the truth. They are going up and up fast with no sign of slowing, much less turning and coming down. Very tough to compete with all the people willing to pay big bucks for stuff like that. Makes it tough on guys like us who can't afford nearly a grand for a certain knife. Wow remember the good old days when we could get any of this stuff for less than $150? Wow, miss those days. Touche my friend, touche, you got me
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Well, it wasn't my intention to "get" you, merely pointing out that it's not only GEC/Northwoods knives that are increasing in price. But I do agree with you that with a very few exceptions (such as the CO-OP/FFA/4-H series), prices for modern Case knives and most other brands of modern, made in USA knives aren't even close to what most GEC/Northwoods patterns sell for on the secondary market. Like you, I don't see the prices coming down at all, just the opposite, they continue to soar higher and higher along with demand. I thought the prices might level off at a certain point, a fairly high point, to be sure, but I continue to see outrageously high selling prices that are simply incredible compared to just a few short years ago.

You are so right that we didn't realize how good we had it when we could shop/browse new GEC/Northwoods releases at our leisure and pick the exact one we wanted...no lolly scramble back then. Those were the good ol' days ::tear::. And, just think, unless something drastic happens to affect the market (such as an increase in production/supply), one day, these times we're currently in will probably be considered "the good old days" by future collectors. ::undecided::
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

robpa wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:33 pm I wasnt inclined to collect GEC knives due to the crazy prices but now since I only live about 3 gallons of gas away from GEC I go there. Fer instance, picked up both the ebony and the ivory bone Toe Nail Clippers for $326, they are selling on line for $300 each, so far. I dont normally sell knives so I dont care what they bring. Got a few other goodies as well couple of Yankee barlows which are kinda nice too. I think the economy is gonna tank, glad I havent shelled out crazy high prices.
Sir would you post a picture of a "Yankee" Barlow. I may know what it is but I may have never heard it called by that name.
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

dlr110 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:38 am
robpa wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:33 pm I wasnt inclined to collect GEC knives due to the crazy prices but now since I only live about 3 gallons of gas away from GEC I go there. Fer instance, picked up both the ebony and the ivory bone Toe Nail Clippers for $326, they are selling on line for $300 each, so far. I dont normally sell knives so I dont care what they bring. Got a few other goodies as well couple of Yankee barlows which are kinda nice too. I think the economy is gonna tank, glad I havent shelled out crazy high prices.
Sir would you post a picture of a "Yankee" Barlow. I may know what it is but I may have never heard it called by that name.
Here are a few you can get an idea from:
Attachments
s-l500 (1).jpg
s-l500 (2).jpg
s-l400.jpg
s-l400.jpg (48.29 KiB) Viewed 2749 times
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
robpa

Post by robpa »

That stag is a nice one. Couldnt get one as they were special orders. Did get the wood and bone. Both are "S" stamped, which does not denote 2nd as seconds are scrapped. It does mean there is a conceived flaw of some type. Maybe very stiff operation, very slight flaw in natural handles but most time you cant find a flaw its so slight.. And ya do save 10 bucks but there is no warranty. Bills son couldnt find a flaw in either knife, possibly only very slight voids in one side of bone handle.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Ivoryman wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:55 am
Thanks you Ivoryman I had just never heard the term used before down here in Texas. I have heard of a "Yankee Screwdriver." ::hmm::
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

dlr110 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:30 pm
Ivoryman wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:55 am

Thanks you Ivoryman I had just never heard the term used before down here in Texas. I have heard of a "Yankee Screwdriver." ::hmm::

No problem. What would a Yankee screwdriver be? Never heard of that one.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

So, last week we saw a 1940-64 XX era Brown Bone Case 6207 sell at auction for $388.00;
today this 1965-69 USA era Red Bone Case 6207 sold at auction for 'only'...

$164.50
https://www.ebay.com/itm/265578753834?s ... true&rt=nc
Case USA 6207 Red Bone.jpg

Usually the early years Case Red Bone knives sell for more than the same models in brown bone...but, apparently, not always. :?

~Q~
Thomasg

Post by Thomasg »

I am hoping to hit big on the lottery so I can afford my first G.E.C. . I just can’t justify spending a weeks take home pay or more on any knife .
Samb

Post by Samb »

QTCut5 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:55 am HOLY MOLEY!!! $899.00 :shock: (+ $9.45 shipping ::uc:: )

What in the world is going on??? I mean, I like Northwoods knives, too...but, seriously, come on now...this is beyond absurd, IMO. :?

NW Fremont.jpg
Got a lot of nerve to charge for shipping at that price.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

I realize this is a GEC forum, but this is too incredible to pass up. This seller is offering a 2011 Case 6207W Mini Trapper, which, BTW, is not "very rare" as he claims, for $750.00 ::uc:: :shock: . That's not a decimal placement error, either, since the seller acknowledges the outrageously high asking price in his description. Apparently, he's taken the "ask-a-super-high-amount-with-a-Best-Offer-option-in-the-hope-that-the-buyer will feel he got a deal when he barters the price down by 50% or more" tactic to a new extreme. And half the photos are out of focus, to boot! (FWIW, I bought the exact same model a few years ago for $45.00)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/195346349874
Case 6207W.jpg

~Q~
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Off topic i realize, but good to see posting in thread, it was started by Roland so long may it continue in his memory and honour. ::tu:: ::handshake::
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

QTCut5 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:31 pm I realize this is a GEC forum, but this is too incredible to pass up. This seller is offering a 2011 Case 6207W Mini Trapper, which, BTW, is not "very rare" as he claims, for $750.00 ::uc:: :shock: . That's not a decimal placement error, either, since the seller acknowledges the outrageously high asking price in his description. Apparently, he's taken the "ask-a-super-high-amount-with-a-Best-Offer-option-in-the-hope-that-the-buyer will feel he got a deal when he barters the price down by 50% or more" tactic to a new extreme. And half the photos are out of focus, to boot! (FWIW, I bought the exact same model a few years ago for $45.00)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/195346349874
Case 6207W.jpg
The same guy has a Russlock for $1000. What a dingbat.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Thomasg wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:24 pm I am hoping to hit big on the lottery so I can afford my first G.E.C. . I just can’t justify spending a weeks take home pay or more on any knife .
Thomas, you are absolutely correct. The two I have were way cheaper when I got them. They’ve gone up drastically in price. My opinion, if I had money to burn, and wanted to spend that much on a knife, it wouldn’t be GEC. Yes they are made pretty well but…. In my opinion they are ridiculous in price and not worth it. I’ve purchased knives that are made MUCH BETTER for WAY less money. GEC has become a sort of status symbol with collectors. Kinda like $500 designer jeans. Anything is Only worth what someone will pay for it. And in my opinion, ANYTHING sold as “collectibles” isn’t. Remember the Beanie Babies collector craze years ago ? ? Expensive then, worthless now.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Samb wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:14 pm
QTCut5 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:55 am HOLY MOLEY!!! $899.00 :shock: (+ $9.45 shipping ::uc:: )

What in the world is going on??? I mean, I like Northwoods knives, too...but, seriously, come on now...this is beyond absurd, IMO. :?

NW Fremont.jpg
Samb, a seller has the right to ask whatever price they want. A buyer has the right to not buy from someone who is way overpriced. The buyer also has a right to tell the overpriced seller where he can stick it.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Samb

Post by Samb »

OSCAR wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:18 am
Samb wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:14 pm

Yes they do and that's what the seller will probably have to do, hope he has fun diggin it out
NW Fremont.jpg
Samb, a seller has the right to ask whatever price they want. A buyer has the right to not buy from someone who is way overpriced. The buyer also has a right to tell the overpriced seller where he can stick it.
Coinfolio
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Coinfolio »

There are some GECs available for less than what the distributors were originally selling them for. Just depends on what is hot and if the crowd has moved on to the next gotta have it for five minutes knife.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Coinfolio wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:31 pm There are some GECs available for less than what the distributors were originally selling them for. Just depends on what is hot and if the crowd has moved on to the next gotta have it for five minutes knife.
So true. In many cases patience does pay. ::nod::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

kootenay joe wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:35 pm I began collecting GEC's right from the first run of #73 in 2006. For the first number of years, maybe up until about 2015 ?, new GEC knives were easy to obtain. Dealers would receive a new run of knives and it would take a few days or a week before all were sold. With some patterns knives were still available a month or so after release.
Then, a few years ago there was a steep increase in people wanting GEC knives. To obtain a new release you needed a smart phone and instant notification to which you would reply immediately. New releases would sell out in minutes. Now that GEC has re-opened after the Covid closure, this demand seems just as strong.
There are also GEC knives available on the secondary market like ebay and some AAPK stores and from other collectors. Many of the GEC knives on the secondary market are the less popular patterns. It is less common to see the highly desirable patterns or handle materials. Regardless, asking & selling prices are high for all of them and very high for the more desirable ones. The lower end of prices is around $300 and the upper end close to $900. There are a few under $300 but these are the ones that collectors don't particularly want.
The difficulty in getting a new release and the very high secondary market prices means i am now 'out of the game'. Getting GEC knives that i like is no longer a possibility for me.
How have these high prices and fast sales of new releases affected your collecting ?
kj
There’s a very simple solution Joe. That is quit buying them. Yes they make a very good knife but…. It’s not a necessity, other companies make good knives, and if people had common sense, they wouldn’t shell out these insane prices. Speculation? May go up in price ? Nonsense! They are already ridiculous. Second, something is only worth what someone is willing to pay. I say let the sellers get stuck with overpriced so called collectors items.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

[ Deleted.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

cudgee wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:32 pm
OSCAR wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:01 pm
kootenay joe wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:35 pm I began collecting GEC's right from the first run of #73 in 2006. For the first number of years, maybe up until about 2015 ?, new GEC knives were easy to obtain. Dealers would receive a new run of knives and it would take a few days or a week before all were sold. With some patterns knives were still available a month or so after release.
Then, a few years ago there was a steep increase in people wanting GEC knives. To obtain a new release you needed a smart phone and instant notification to which you would reply immediately. New releases would sell out in minutes. Now that GEC has re-opened after the Covid closure, this demand seems just as strong.
There are also GEC knives available on the secondary market like ebay and some AAPK stores and from other collectors. Many of the GEC knives on the secondary market are the less popular patterns. It is less common to see the highly desirable patterns or handle materials. Regardless, asking & selling prices are high for all of them and very high for the more desirable ones. The lower end of prices is around $300 and the upper end close to $900. There are a few under $300 but these are the ones that collectors don't particularly want.
The difficulty in getting a new release and the very high secondary market prices means i am now 'out of the game'. Getting GEC knives that i like is no longer a possibility for me.
How have these high prices and fast sales of new releases affected your collecting ?
kj
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

kj
Just a note, that post was made nearly 2 years ago by Roland, maybe you may want to look at editing it or deleting it out of respect. ::handshake::
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

kj
There’s a very simple solution Joe. That is quit buying them. Yes they make a very good knife but…. It’s not a necessity, other companies make good knives, and if people had common sense, they wouldn’t shell out these insane prices. Speculation? May go up in price ? Nonsense! They are already ridiculous. Second, something is only worth what someone is willing to pay. I say let the sellers get stuck with overpriced so called collectors items.
Just a note, that post was made nearly 2 years ago by Roland, maybe you may want to look at editing it or deleting it out of respect. ::handshake::
Sorry Cudgee. I didn’t know. I meant no disrespect to anyone. I deleted my post but I can’t delete from the one that you reposted. Apologies mate. If you delete your reposting, problem solved. Thanks
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

OSCAR wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:18 pm
Sorry Cudgee. I didn’t know. I meant no disrespect to anyone. I deleted my post but I can’t delete from the one that you reposted. Apologies mate. If you delete your reposting, problem solved. Thanks
No need to apologise, i knew it would have been an oversight on your behalf, i just wanted to respectfully point it out. Don't worry about the original post, that will always be a reminder of Roland. All good. ::tu::
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Here's another one of these inexplicably popular & outrageously expensive CO-OP/FFA/4-H Case knives (Sorry for posting it in the GEC thread, but the other thread about sellers' ridiculous asking prices was closed down). The seller started the auction for this one pretty high to begin with ($360.00), but just look at how high it's gotten (currently at $1,007.00). That is the kind of money I would expect for a high-end, one-of-a-kind custom. Unbelievable that anyone would pay this much for a factory knife (Case, no less!). I realize that these knives are considered "super special" by some collectors, but for the life of me I can't figure out why since they're not even all that rare. :?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/374376812441?_ ... 1758.m4703
Case 6207.jpg

~Q~

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”