Secondary Market Prices

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
knife_fan

Re: Secondary Market Prices

Post by knife_fan »

Don't bother checking the AAPK store for GEC knives. Everyone who is listing on there is looking to retire. :roll:

It's sad this madness has drove people to have to spend their money on other knife brands. Hope GEC can find a way to increase production soon, to cut down on the ridiculous flipping.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

knife_fan wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:42 am Don't bother checking the AAPK store for GEC knives. Everyone who is listing on there is looking to retire. :roll:

It's sad this madness has drove people to have to spend their money on other knife brands. Hope GEC can find a way to increase production soon, to cut down on the ridiculous flipping.
Look at in a positive way mate, it can make us be creative and hunt around for other makes, there are some gems out there. You only have to look at the Mail call. What is your newest addition thread. Saw a Case Barlow recently posted that was in my opinion as good as a GEC, but a lot cheaper. So just hunt around and be patient. But don't count on prices for GEC's dropping in the foreseeable future. Will be interesting to see the release of the new Schatt&Morgan knives.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

knife_fan wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:42 am Don't bother checking the AAPK store for GEC knives. Everyone who is listing on there is looking to retire. :roll:

It's not just GEC. Look at the prices of some of the other brands.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I do 'watch' GEC knives listed on ebay. In the last 2-3 weeks quite a few have sold for less than what i had expected they would based on previous sales. Is the GEC bubble of very high secondary market prices beginning to deflate ?
The most highly desired patterns and those with the most desirable handles are not much affected. It is the more 'average' GEC that were selling at 2-3 times the original price that now seem to be selling a little lower.
We will have to wait to see if this downward trend continues.
The difficulty of getting a new GEC from a dealer and the very high secondary market prices has resulted in me loosing interest in acquiring more GEC knives. I really like the ones i have but i no longer feel driven to acquire more. It's like my addiction to GEC has gone and i am grateful for this. GEC no longer drives my bus.
kj
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

From reading a lot of posts on different threads, that seems to be the sentiment of many people.
Drukai

Post by Drukai »

Artificial scarcity is driving these prices..running 1000 knives...no make a run of 20,000 15 patterns simple easy knife will sell and people get a chance at it.
"I don't think you can ever do your best. Doing your best is a process of trying to do your best". Townes Van Zandt

In search of GEC 15 Farm Boy knife user or new(My Grail)
knife_fan

Post by knife_fan »

I've seen a number of GEC fans moving on to other brands. If they strike out for a GEC they just purchase a competitor's knife. Some have found they like the competitor knives as much and are starting to collect them instead of GEC. It's nice to be able to take your time to pick a knife you want and purchase it, rather than camp at a computer to get an opportunity to buy a GEC knife.

Rumor is GEC is planning to increase production. Hope it happens soon so prices can return to normal, and the flipping starts to calm down.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

There is a roughneck jack for sale in an AAPK store for $975.
There was a barlow for $450. I don't know if it sold or was taken down.
These prices are just crazy. Flippers taking advantage of the current market.
David
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

edge213 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:55 pm There is a roughness jack for sale in an AAPK store for $975.
There was a barlow for $450. I don't know if it sold or was taken down.
These prices are just crazy. Flippers taking advantage of the current market.
I suspect that the GEC knives posted here or on ebay with "crazy high prices" are not selling at these high asking prices. There might be a few exceptions like a Northwoods with particularly fine mammoth or giraffe.
kj
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

I have seen quite a few GEC's at mark-ups of 300% or more sell very quickly on the members store, all recently.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I predict that the very high prices for some GEC's have peaked and will begin to come down to more reasonable levels, like double the original price. There will be exceptions but most of the GEC's will soon be selling for less than what they have been in the last 6-12 months.
I could be wrong. Time will tell. Let's see how prices are in September, 6 months from now.
kj
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Mark 24th of September in your calendar, and see how your prediction goes, and we will revisit this thread.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

GEC has already lost me as a customer. :( I don't even bother to look at the new GEC releases anymore. Not only am I totally turned off by the new release "lolly scramble" absurdity, but I've purchased custom handmade knives that are even better than GECs for the same amount (or less) than the ridiculous prices people are willing to pay for GECs on the secondary market.

I just read an article that explained how there are now software programs that are specifically designed to instantly purchase high-demand items (everything from sneakers to designer handbags to you-name-it) by filling in multiple order forms in fractions of a second, much much faster than any human can possibly fill out a single purchase order manually. This proves what I have long suspected, i.e., the deck is stacked in favor of those who have access to and use such technology to immediately purchase multiple items from a given seller the instant they become available. The software is even sophisticated enough to use multiple ISP addresses as well in order to thwart efforts such as the lottery system Austin Risner is now using at Traditional Pocketknives.com to weed out multiple entries from a single buyer.

Personally, I feel that GEC should expand, hire more workers and manufacture more product in order to meet the obvious demand. Either that or raise the retail prices of their knives...perhaps even to the same level as custom knives. Isn't that what any other hugely successful business would do? ::shrug::
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

You have just stated what many have known for a long time. ::tu:: When ever high trade/turnover results are required someone will come up with software to expedite the trades in milliseconds. This type of software has been around for years in different industries. This software for using in the context you mention is not expensive, so it will pay for itself in one trade. It is just the way of the world now, i don't like it, but that is the way it is. I could say more about the whole situation, but this thread is about secondary market prices, and not the place. :) .
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

I just saw a run of the mill Tidioute American Jack in Elderberry bone #78 sell for $430 at auction. That was what the open market will bear, not a sellers pipe dream BIN price. It was $104 when it came out in 2017. The run didn't sell out fast, they sat around for weeks, they were seemingly not that popular as a #15 or #66 or #47, or others. But times have changed now. Even less popular patterns are skyrocketing. I have seen GEC Northwoods selling for $6-800 lately, open market. Many here have said these prices will come down, it's just a fad, it's not sustainable, it's a gimmick, it's a crime. When are they coming down? When will the fad end? We're all still waiting and will be. It won't end because it's no fad. The price trajectory is still going up. It's very high demand and growing demand as well, with same old limited, small numbers supply. Simple Adam Smith economics and all of us are hoping the prices come down, crossing out fingers, and all in vain. Because people like their knives and more and more people are starting to like them every day. They are making a better product than Case or now defunct Queen was and there is no Schrade. GEC has earned and built a reputation and a customer base and fanbase with quality products and stylish designs. That's the American way, build a better mouse trap and the world will beat a path to your door. GEC has the best mouse trap going in American traditionals. No contest. Rock on GEC. Love every one I have and can't get enough and a lot of sour grapes because of GEC success says a lot more about the critics and cussers than the GEC company or their products. Maybe some won't pay the price, but I bet they still like the knives and wish they had some. Fox and the grapes.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I am just making a prediction. I admire GEC, the company and the knives. I am not angered by the high secondary market prices.
It's just a feeling i have that some of the GEC 'spenders' will drift to other interests. I expect demand will still be strong but not as strong to drive prices to current levels. I think the GEC prices will stabilize at a lower amount than they are now.
There will be exceptions but in general the peak has been reached.
Again, this is just a feeling i have. There is no economic theory or consumer statistics involved.
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Ivoryman wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:09 am I just saw a run of the mill Tidioute American Jack in Elderberry bone #78 sell for $430 at auction. That was what the open market will bear, not a sellers pipe dream BIN price. It was $104 when it came out in 2017. The run didn't sell out fast, they sat around for weeks, they were seemingly not that popular as a #15 or #66 or #47, or others. But times have changed now. Even less popular patterns are skyrocketing. I have seen GEC Northwoods selling for $6-800 lately, open market. Many here have said these prices will come down, it's just a fad, it's not sustainable, it's a gimmick, it's a crime. When are they coming down? When will the fad end? We're all still waiting and will be. It won't end because it's no fad. The price trajectory is still going up. It's very high demand and growing demand as well, with same old limited, small numbers supply. Simple Adam Smith economics and all of us are hoping the prices come down, crossing out fingers, and all in vain. Because people like their knives and more and more people are starting to like them every day. They are making a better product than Case or now defunct Queen was and there is no Schrade. GEC has earned and built a reputation and a customer base and fanbase with quality products and stylish designs. That's the American way, build a better mouse trap and the world will beat a path to your door. GEC has the best mouse trap going in American traditionals. No contest. Rock on GEC. Love every one I have and can't get enough and a lot of sour grapes because of GEC success says a lot more about the critics and cussers than the GEC company or their products. Maybe some won't pay the price, but I bet they still like the knives and wish they had some. Fox and the grapes.

I agree with you 100%. Just to add onto this thought: I don’t understand the way secondary prices seem to pick at some folks soul the way it does? What would you rather, have a free market or one where the government sets the prices like in Venezuela? If you want someone else to set the prices that others can get for their product, move to Venezuela and tell us how great it is to live there.
GEC dealers are raising prices on new releases, anyone who has bought from some of them know that they are charging double and more in some cases for new releases. My understanding is that GEC is encouraging them to raise prices and that GEC is soon going to raise their prices to take advantage of this craze. So everyone will soon be paying higher prices for GEC knives. So I guess this is what some wanted, for someone other than a “flipper” to make such a big profit on GEC knives. Seems to me the end result is all the same, but now we will shift the profit to a big business from individuals.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Hear hear SSK, free market, open commerce, free enterprise and free trade. Everything else is command economy and doomed to fail. Amen and amen. Glad there are still some cool heads and thinking minds out there who actually appreciate what the inspired founding fathers set up for us. Now if we can just teach the young and future generations to value it.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

My posts have nothing to do with opposing 'Free Market' or being 'upset' by high prices for many of the GEC knives. I am just making a prediction that interests will shift to other knives or other commodities and over time, secondary market prices will come down from the high levels of the last year or so.
I could well be wrong and prices could go even higher, but it won't last 'forever'. At some point the 'market' will peak and then decline. Such is the nature of the Free Market.
kj
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Attachments
s-l64(2).jpg
s-l64(2).jpg (1.85 KiB) Viewed 4386 times
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

I am not against free market or folks being able to pay what they want. What puzzles me is the way that GEC handles sales. If I were making a product, and noticed that on the secondary market the stuff I made was selling for double or triple the price I sold it for, I would darn sure change my ways!
Mel
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Another headed for the stratosphere, where it will land I don't know but it won't be around here.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Great-Eastern- ... Sw9apgX3XV

Yet another of the same wood. Two to watch skyward.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Great-Eastern- ... 0010.m2109
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

There's no interest like self interest.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

I have a friend who used to pick up a roll of the gold colored dollar coins before a show.
He would price them at three dollars each. He sold out every time.
I couldn't figue out who would pay $3 for a dollar.
Now I think I know.
David
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”