"Old Man Knives" & "Filth Signature"

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

"Old Man Knives" & "Filth Signature"

Post by QTCut5 »

I collected GEC and Northwoods for awhile...and I actually accumulated quite a few. At some point it stopped being fun (for various reasons) and I lost interest and eventually sold most of them. Now I have only these four (and a hat).

P1070010.JPG

Not only was storage a major hassle due to my climate; but, like others here on AAPK have said before: I'm just not interested in playing all the ridiculous games to get a new release at the drop (or "reserving" one from a dealer months in advance) or paying the absurdly ridiculous prices to get one secondhand from a flipper. I still think they're great knives, though...just not for me.

Anyway...I stumbled across this YouTube video and, IMO, these guys sum it up pretty well. :lol:
I think even many die-hard GEC collectors will agree. ::nod::

(WARNING: Don't bother watching if you have no sense of humor ::disgust:: Also, there is some NSFW language :shock: )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2QpoAGE_94

EDIT: Although I understand the reason traditional pocket knives are often associated with men of a certain age (usually older), the video itself is testament to and clear proof that interest in traditional/slipjoint pocket knives is not restricted exclusively to the older generation (or any particular age demographic)

(filth signature = patina)
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
Pablo

Re: Passing thoughts on GEC

Post by Pablo »

That's a pretty funny video... but pretty accurate. I bought a Geppetto knife for whittling (not collecting) quite a few years back for about $50. It was an ok knife but not a great knife. Very well made but not real user friendly for a whittling knife so I sold it and went back to my old Robeson knife. Anyhow, this past year, I thought I might give GEC another try but after seeing how the prices have gone up... nah I'm good... nothing wrong with my Robeson. Supply, demand, greed, you can't help what you love and don't love. A knife... like all things in life... are worth whatever one is willing to pay for it.
Be a radical... use common sense.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Passing thoughts on GEC

Post by jerryd6818 »

Pablo!! Semper Fi Marine. Good to "see" ya. I hope everything is going well or as well as can be expected.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: "Old Man Knives" & "Filth Signature"

Post by Old Folder »

QTCut5 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:40 am I collected GEC and Northwoods for awhile...and I actually accumulated quite a few. At some point it stopped being fun (for various reasons) and I lost interest and eventually sold most of them. Now I have only these four (and a hat).

P1070010.JPG

Not only was storage a major hassle due to my climate; but, like others here on AAPK have said before: I'm just not interested in playing all the ridiculous games to get a new release at the drop (or "reserving" one from a dealer months in advance) or paying the absurdly ridiculous prices to get one secondhand from a flipper. I still think they're great knives, though...just not for me.

Anyway...I stumbled across this YouTube video and, IMO, these guys sum it up pretty well. :lol:
I think even many die-hard GEC collectors will agree. ::nod::

(WARNING: Don't bother watching if you have no sense of humor ::disgust:: Also, there is some NSFW language :shock: )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2QpoAGE_94

EDIT: Although I understand the reason traditional pocket knives are often associated with men of a certain age (usually older), the video itself is testament to and clear proof that interest in traditional/slipjoint pocket knives is not restricted exclusively to the older generation (or any particular age demographic)

Q, I can understand how your interest in acquiring GEC knives have diminished over time.
GEC knives are beautiful, I have all the new GEC Maher & Grosh knives that Roger and Ken have sold to us through AAPK membership, however, I do not have the will to be involved in competitive bidding that is the luck of the draw and I can understand how the fun can be taken out of collecting GEC knives.
Below is just one of the many requirements that some GEC sellers require for bidding on new GEC releases.
This is a current sell going on tonight, 01/10/2021 and is listed within their website that I ran into while observing other knives.
If anyone wants to join the competition, you can jump in at:
https://www.traditionalpocketknives.com ... ambar-stag

Dan

"Great Eastern Cutlery #47 Viper Arizona Ironwood and Sambar Stag. Available 01/10/2021 8PM ET.
Featured
Great Eastern Cutlery #47 Viper Arizona Ironwood and Sambar Stag.

Available 01/10/2021 8PM ET.

Check out the new GEC #47 Viper holographic stickers!

**Apps such as Apple Pay or Google Pay will allow you to save your payment information to your device which will aid greatly in checking the item out quicker.**

Few reminders below:

1. We try to be as fair as possible for everyone.

2. You must be on the site at 8PM ET on release nights to get an opportunity to purchase the knife.

3. One knife per customer / household / order.

4. Double check your shipping address.

5. We process and fill orders the same night or the next day.

6. First come, first serve.

7. Just because the item is in your cart, does not mean the item is paid for or is secure in your cart. Shopify does not allow a "Secure Cart" option unfortunately. We know this is frustrating. The quickest way to checkout is to have payment information saved on your device.

Thank you!"
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Old Folder wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:06 pm Q, I can understand how your interest in acquiring GEC knives have diminished over time.
GEC knives are beautiful, I have all the new GEC Maher & Grosh knives that Roger and Ken have sold to us through AAPK membership, however, I do not have the will to be involved in competitive bidding that is the luck of the draw and I can understand how the fun can be taken out of collecting GEC knives.
Below is just one of the many requirements that some GEC sellers require for bidding on new GEC releases.
This is a current sell going on tonight, 01/10/2021 and is listed within their website that I ran into while observing other knives.
If anyone wants to join the competition, you can jump in at:
https://www.traditionalpocketknives.com ... ambar-stag

Dan
Thanks, Dan...I was aware of the GEC 47 Viper drop happening today at Traditionalpocketknives.com. To be completely honest, my expectations were pretty low right from the moment I received the "advance e-mail notification" from Risner two days earlier. In fact, I would have been shocked and surprised if I had managed to get one. But, in truth, I really didn't care whether I got one or not; I just wanted to try an experiment to see if it was even possible for an "average joe collector" like me to have a snowball's chance in Hades at getting one. (Spoiler Alert: it's not possible...I didn't get one despite all my clever machinations...So, no surprises, just the usual feeling of frustration and disgust ::disgust:: )

You can read about my experience here:

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=69524
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

WOW Q....That was a very ingenious experiment you performed.
The GEC Stag 47 Viper is a beautiful knife, sorry it didn't work out for you. :(

Dan
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”