12 knives sold in under 10 seconds

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
Rotten

Re: 12 knives sold in under 10 seconds

Post by Rotten »

Doc B wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:27 pm I agree. Haven't hit a drop in ages. Wouldn't bother me as much...but; there are NUMEROUS people, who get every cover and multiples. There's too much money at stake, for this to be all going "on top of the table".
The ones who get one of every cover are the ones that really bug me. I do not believe they have faster computers or connections. I do believe that some retailers have an exclusive customer list that get first pick.
Trace
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

I'm very interested into what will happen to the 2021 release of the upcoming Schatt&Morgan. There has been many posts about the anticipation for this release, with many saying they have had enough of the GEC "lolly scramble". There may well be a similar follow on effect to this new release from disenfranchised GEC buyers. These are only my ramblings and i may well be off beam. ::mdm:: :)
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

cudgee wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:46 pm I'm very interested into what will happen to the 2021 release of the upcoming Schatt&Morgan. There has been many posts about the anticipation for this release, with many saying they have had enough of the GEC "lolly scramble". There may well be a similar follow on effect to this new release from disenfranchised GEC buyers. These are only my ramblings and i may well be off beam. ::mdm:: :)
I think that S&M has a strong chance to do well in the current state of collecting, if their quality control is top priority.
Trace
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

GEC makes excellent knives but the joy of continuing to collect them left about 4-5 years ago for me. The effort that QT went through being all set up and hitting 'buy' at the first second and ending up with nothing has been happening for a few years now. And then sellers show up on ebay with a few of the knives for sale, time after time. This was all a 'couple' of years ago. I stopped trying to get a new GEC and stopped following GEC knives on ebay. It did seem 'fishy' that the same sellers scored multiples with every release while so many of us could not even score one.
kj
knife_fan

Post by knife_fan »

I agree there has to be favoritism from a few sellers to a select group of buyers. I don't care how good your luck is, if your picking up one of each cover in this madness, you have a connection. It also irks me to see the buyers post the entire run of the pattern that they were able to acquire knowing the majority can't even get one.
If S&M can fix the quality control issues and come out with a solid product, there will be a lot of GEC fans that jump ship. GEC is doing nothing to try to curb the issue. They could increase production, and put a max price on what a dealer is allowed to sell the knives for. However up to this point they refuse to do anything, and it's sending a bad message to their once loyal fanbase.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Rotten wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:42 pm
Doc B wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:27 pm I agree. Haven't hit a drop in ages. Wouldn't bother me as much...but; there are NUMEROUS people, who get every cover and multiples. There's too much money at stake, for this to be all going "on top of the table".
The ones who get one of every cover are the ones that really bug me. I do not believe they have faster computers or connections. I do believe that some retailers have an exclusive customer list that get first pick.
" I do believe that some retailers have an exclusive customer list that get first pick." Trace, no doubt about that, just saw a post of someone who has a picture of 6 just released GEC TC Barlows, every cover, even one of 16 released. I tried 3 times to get one, i knew i was clutching at straws, but had a crack anyway, now i have given up on them. I won't play any game with the odds stacked against me that much. Hope you are well and taking care out there. :)
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

cudgee wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:45 am
Rotten wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:42 pm
" I do believe that some retailers have an exclusive customer list that get first pick." Trace, no doubt about that, just saw a post of someone who has a picture of 6 just released GEC TC Barlows, every cover, even one of 16 released. I tried 3 times to get one, i knew i was clutching at straws, but had a crack anyway, now i have given up on them. I won't play any game with the odds stacked against me that much. Hope you are well and taking care out there. :)
I was able to get my name in the hat for TPK lottery Austin is using for his allotment of the barlows. When he did the test run for the Osage version there were over 790 entries for 30 knives (I didn't get selected). I would imagine there were even more this time, I went ahead and put my name in on all three versions so we'll see. I think if other dealers were to do likewise AND GEC would tell us how many each distributor gets some of the shenanigans might ease up.

I have been watching some GEC's of interest and have noticed patterns that aren't the hot thing right now have generally been leveling off price wise, there are exceptions of course but I'm no expert.

All well here, just got my second round C-19 vaccination and am waiting to see if it makes me feel worse than the first, everyone has told me this time will be rougher.

Take care!
Trace

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”