12 knives sold in under 10 seconds

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

12 knives sold in under 10 seconds

Post by QTCut5 »

Despite having vowed not to participate in the GEC Lolly Scramble ever again, I decided to try an experiment on Traditionalpocketknives.com (C. Risner) with the Stag 47 Viper drop that just happened less than 15 mins ago.

I had TWO computers all set up and ready to place an order the instant the knives became available (8:00pm EST). On one computer I used Google Chrome and on the other I used Microsoft Edge. I selected a different knife on each computer and the instant I was "allowed" to add the knife to my cart, I did so, and then went to checkout (which was already pre-filled with my saved shipping and payment information)...and, SURPRISE, SURPRISE...all the stag 47 Vipers were INSTANTLY SOLD OUT IN LESS THAN 10 SECONDS. :shock: :o ::cb::

Honestly, I don't know how anyone could have done it any faster than I did...but, somehow they managed to. ::skeptic:: ::disgust:: :evil:

This whole process smells VERY FISHY to me...it STINKS and I feel something unfair is going on. ::paranoid:: :x
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: 12 knives sold in under 10 seconds

Post by 1967redrider »

Just do like I do, Q, don't play that game.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
eveled

Post by eveled »

I couldn’t be bothered. Obviously something fishy happening. They need a better system to make it fair. Maybe a lottery? Under the current system. I’ll spend my money elsewhere.
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: 20 seconds

Post by Railsplitter »

I don't know how they do it either but I'm glad I got the GEC bug out of my system a couple years ago. I'd be going crazy trying to buy them in today's market.

I've heard that just trying to reserve one can be almost as bad. The reserves close in a matter of minutes after they open. Crazy stuff. Thank goodness I prefer stainless steel blades.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Well, like I said...this was an experiment. Now, I'm done with GEC forever. ::huff::

~Q~
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

QTCut5 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:30 am Well, like I said...this was an experiment. Now, I'm done with GEC forever. ::huff::
Q, read your statement with the 2 computers,etc,etc,. Sounds like you did everything possible. The average guy doesn’t get one,why is that ,and some get 4 or 5, then flip them . The prices ,the hassle, maybe everybody should follow your lead . I know haven’t bought one in over a year,and won’t,now there’s at least 2 of us Q . That’s a start my friend. Hang in there ,stay safe over there ::handshake::
JP
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

I’ve had this happen to me at TKC and Risner as well as KSF. The one it doesn’t happen is DLT. They let you check out with the knife you put into your cart, they get a lot more of my business.
Honestly I completely ignored this one tonight. I figured what’s the point? Hopefully enough of us will stop trying and they will get the message when no one is trying anymore.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:15 am I’ve had this happen to me at TKC and Risner as well as KSF. The one it doesn’t happen is DLT. They let you check out with the knife you put into your cart, they get a lot more of my business.
Honestly I completely ignored this one tonight. I figured what’s the point? Hopefully enough of us will stop trying and they will get the message when no one is trying anymore.
Unfortunately, I doubt anything will change as long as GEC continues to make limited runs of their popular patterns and the GEC dealers sell the knives for retail prices that are clearly lower than the market demand would dictate...and secondhand buyers continue to support the flippers by paying the absurd markup prices.

~Q~
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

It’s pretty simple actually. Someone else’s (at least ten someones actually) little electrons ran faster than yours did and got there first. You may think you hit “send” as fast or faster than anyone else but that just starts the race. The speed of your internet connection, how many networks and routers it had to go through to arrive at the seller’s computer, etc are all variables beyond your control.

It may be frustrating but I doubt there anything “fishy” or dishonest.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

I have no problem with what the dealers are doing. But I'm not going to participate in the crazy.
Flippers suck!
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:05 am It’s pretty simple actually.
Ken
You may be right about the inner workings of the interweb complicating what would otherwise seem like an even playing field, Ken, although I disagree about it being "pretty simple"; at least it's not to a simple-minded person like me! :lol:

The fishy smell will be apparent when certain eBay sellers start listing multiple stag Vipers and they're all the exact same knives that were shown on Risner's site.

~Q~
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

QTCut5 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:44 am
Mumbleypeg wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:05 am It’s pretty simple actually.
Ken
You may be right about the inner workings of the interweb complicating what would otherwise seem like an even playing field, Ken, although I disagree about it being "pretty simple"; at least it's not to a simple-minded person like me! :lol:

The fishy smell will be apparent when certain eBay sellers start listing multiple stag Vipers and they're all the exact same knives that were shown on Risner's site.
:lol: You’re right it’s not really simple if you look at it that way. I was thinking of the simple part as the “race” of the electrons. And the fact they’re not all running on the same track. The only constant is the finish line.

In another scenario it’s a lottery with only ten prizes available to hundreds or thousands of entrants. Your odds of winning aren’t high.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

QTCut5 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:20 am This whole process smells VERY FISHY to me...it STINKS and I feel something unfair is going on.
I believe they call it "Insider Trading"... ::cuss::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
RevolverGuy

Post by RevolverGuy »

Wow last time I bought a GEC from them was early 2019 and never had that problem. Whatever is going on sounds like there is a high demand, but it's also a lot of flippers who are then listing them for double or triple their cost. If it continues it hurts the industry and will eventually turn away collectors. I am buying vintage Boker's and Case these days. Much more affordable than these new GEC's.
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

I agree. Haven't hit a drop in ages. Wouldn't bother me as much...but; there are NUMEROUS people, who get every cover and multiples. There's too much money at stake, for this to be all going "on top of the table".
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

Doc B wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:27 pm I agree. Haven't hit a drop in ages. Wouldn't bother me as much...but; there are NUMEROUS people, who get every cover and multiples. There's too much money at stake, for this to be all going "on top of the table".
The ones who get one of every cover are the ones that really bug me. I do not believe they have faster computers or connections. I do believe that some retailers have an exclusive customer list that get first pick.
Trace
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

I'm very interested into what will happen to the 2021 release of the upcoming Schatt&Morgan. There has been many posts about the anticipation for this release, with many saying they have had enough of the GEC "lolly scramble". There may well be a similar follow on effect to this new release from disenfranchised GEC buyers. These are only my ramblings and i may well be off beam. ::mdm:: :)
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

cudgee wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:46 pm I'm very interested into what will happen to the 2021 release of the upcoming Schatt&Morgan. There has been many posts about the anticipation for this release, with many saying they have had enough of the GEC "lolly scramble". There may well be a similar follow on effect to this new release from disenfranchised GEC buyers. These are only my ramblings and i may well be off beam. ::mdm:: :)
I think that S&M has a strong chance to do well in the current state of collecting, if their quality control is top priority.
Trace
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

GEC makes excellent knives but the joy of continuing to collect them left about 4-5 years ago for me. The effort that QT went through being all set up and hitting 'buy' at the first second and ending up with nothing has been happening for a few years now. And then sellers show up on ebay with a few of the knives for sale, time after time. This was all a 'couple' of years ago. I stopped trying to get a new GEC and stopped following GEC knives on ebay. It did seem 'fishy' that the same sellers scored multiples with every release while so many of us could not even score one.
kj
knife_fan

Post by knife_fan »

I agree there has to be favoritism from a few sellers to a select group of buyers. I don't care how good your luck is, if your picking up one of each cover in this madness, you have a connection. It also irks me to see the buyers post the entire run of the pattern that they were able to acquire knowing the majority can't even get one.
If S&M can fix the quality control issues and come out with a solid product, there will be a lot of GEC fans that jump ship. GEC is doing nothing to try to curb the issue. They could increase production, and put a max price on what a dealer is allowed to sell the knives for. However up to this point they refuse to do anything, and it's sending a bad message to their once loyal fanbase.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Rotten wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:42 pm
Doc B wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:27 pm I agree. Haven't hit a drop in ages. Wouldn't bother me as much...but; there are NUMEROUS people, who get every cover and multiples. There's too much money at stake, for this to be all going "on top of the table".
The ones who get one of every cover are the ones that really bug me. I do not believe they have faster computers or connections. I do believe that some retailers have an exclusive customer list that get first pick.
" I do believe that some retailers have an exclusive customer list that get first pick." Trace, no doubt about that, just saw a post of someone who has a picture of 6 just released GEC TC Barlows, every cover, even one of 16 released. I tried 3 times to get one, i knew i was clutching at straws, but had a crack anyway, now i have given up on them. I won't play any game with the odds stacked against me that much. Hope you are well and taking care out there. :)
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

cudgee wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:45 am
Rotten wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:42 pm
" I do believe that some retailers have an exclusive customer list that get first pick." Trace, no doubt about that, just saw a post of someone who has a picture of 6 just released GEC TC Barlows, every cover, even one of 16 released. I tried 3 times to get one, i knew i was clutching at straws, but had a crack anyway, now i have given up on them. I won't play any game with the odds stacked against me that much. Hope you are well and taking care out there. :)
I was able to get my name in the hat for TPK lottery Austin is using for his allotment of the barlows. When he did the test run for the Osage version there were over 790 entries for 30 knives (I didn't get selected). I would imagine there were even more this time, I went ahead and put my name in on all three versions so we'll see. I think if other dealers were to do likewise AND GEC would tell us how many each distributor gets some of the shenanigans might ease up.

I have been watching some GEC's of interest and have noticed patterns that aren't the hot thing right now have generally been leveling off price wise, there are exceptions of course but I'm no expert.

All well here, just got my second round C-19 vaccination and am waiting to see if it makes me feel worse than the first, everyone has told me this time will be rougher.

Take care!
Trace

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”