#38 "English Whittler"

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
kootenay joe

#38 "English Whittler"

Post by kootenay joe »

This thread is to post pictures of your newly arrived #38 "English Whittler". Mine is in the mail and as i am in Canada it won't be here for a couple of weeks.
The 2015 "Grinling Whittler" is very popular with collectors and if you do see one on the secondary market the price is likely to be about $500.
The Grinling has a Clip master blade whereas this new English Whittler has a Wharncliffe master blade, making it a true Wharncliffe Whittler. I think this 2021 Whittler will be just as desirable as the 2015 Grinling Whittler.
Please post pictures of your new English Whittler and the Grinling as well if you have one.
And, please add some comments about what you do like, or don't like, about it, and describe pull and blade action which are aspects of a knife that pictures don't reveal.
thanks, kj
FarSide
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: #38 "English Whittler"

Post by FarSide »

Managed to get a Bloodwood from a dealer. I was a little bit nervous about the jigged bone given the degree of difference in coloring I was seeing.
That being said, this Bloodwood is every bit as well executed as the Grinling other than the wedge is a little proud on it. I remember the #13 Whittlers had a proud wedge (at least two of mine did). The Grinling is perfect, and I will always be partial to it since it was given to me a fellow friend on the forums. Plus the jigging & color is my favorite. The clip on the Grinling gives you much more blade for the size of knife, but I like the Wharncliffe as well. The Grinling's were made in much smaller quantities & will always fetch higher prices. Waiting to get your feedback when you get yours.
38 English Whittler B.jpg
-Tim
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

I don’t have my jigged bone version photographed at this time. The bloodwood is one of my favorites. I like wooden handles. I agree with you Roland that these will be highly sought after in the future. These are very well done. The pull is perfect, in my opinion. So many whittlers have pulls that are ridiculously strong, but this one is spot on. Fit and finish is top notch. All this applies to both the bloodwood and the jigged bone that I have.
Attachments
460AE020-48BD-4196-9BB0-40C9FE3A5934.jpeg
3275C48E-2FAD-4F80-BA2E-B9F8D8B65A45.jpeg
5C06C3AD-2A57-4C2D-9881-24ED644C43FB.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Beautiful knives, Tim and SSk. Do any dealers actually have these in stock ... anyone know?
Mel
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Dinadan wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:21 am Beautiful knives, Tim and SSk. Do any dealers actually have these in stock ... anyone know?
Are you kidding? Of course not. I had to get this one on Ebay for 200. These have been selling out in about 30 seconds.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks guys. Mark, i look forward to seeing your jigged bone #38
The one i bought on ebay appears to have good handles. I have seen a few where the dye looks a bit 'muddy' and some dots of white bone can be seen.
Previous use of this "Burnt Orange" jigged bone has made for outstanding handles and is seen on many of the Waynorth SFO's. Somehow this time the dye job was not as successful ?
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

kootenay joe wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:35 am Thanks guys. Mark, i look forward to seeing your jigged bone #38
The one i bought on ebay appears to have good handles. I have seen a few where the dye looks a bit 'muddy' and some dots of white bone can be seen.
Previous use of this "Burnt Orange" jigged bone has made for outstanding handles and is seen on many of the Waynorth SFO's. Somehow this time the dye job was not as successful ?
kj
I went and took photo’s of it for you. The color leaves me wanting something better or darker but it’s pretty consistent and not all bad.
Attachments
C51CF129-4EA2-4697-9798-AA43756AB822.jpeg
B1C2900B-D32A-4ACB-A429-41B06BF57121.jpeg
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

One of my favorite patterns from GEC and the they did a great job on this latest run of English Whittlers. Pictures are of a Grinling from first run with a Northwoods, the bloodwood and jigged bone English Whittler with an original stag Challenge and then just the jigged bone.
I prefer the Northfield version with the rat tail bolsters, makes a big difference in appearance in my opinion.
Attachments
IMG_1807.jpeg
IMG_3446.jpeg
IMG_3475.jpeg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Mark, thanks for posting your Burnt Orange jigged bone #38. The dye seems to have not penetrated as much on this run compared to earlier examples.
Here is my 933119 with Dark Chestnut bone and my 981416 with Burnt Orange jigged bone.
Yours might be a bit lighter in overall look but still is a very attractive knife.
kj
Attachments
IMGP1129.JPG
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

johnR, is the ivory Northwoods Wharncliffe Pen knife from Dave Shirley days ?
I have an ivory Northwoods Norfolk pen and Whittler but not a Wharncliffe one. I'd like to hear more about it.
thanks, kj

Edit, i just did a search and see that the Whancliffe pen knife was released in 2015 as the Northwoods "Willamette Whittler" even though it is not a whittler. It is a fine Wharncliffe pen which in ivory makes for a top level pen knife.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

These are the seller's pictures of my inbound #38. It looks good but i prefer the orange 'hue' as seen on JohnR's #38 above.
kj
Attachments
s-l1600 (8).jpg
s-l1600 (7).jpg
Buckibbq
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Buckibbq »

As a Whittler collector and more specifically a lover of the Grinling, I couldn’t wait for these to be released. This has been the highlight of the GEC releases in as long as I’ve been a GEC collector. Very happy with the fit, finish and action of all from this run.
F9C6CF06-1631-40F6-9B3B-BD291934F115.jpeg
I’m a long time collector in search of rare and limited GEC AND Northwoods knives. Always looking to add ivory pieces to my collection. PM to discuss sales or trades, please!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Quote: "This has been the highlight of the GEC releases in as long as I’ve been a GEC collector. Very happy with the fit, finish and action of all from this run."
I agree, this is a great pattern. I am surprised that more members have not posted their #38 Whittlers here. Are others not as enthusiastic about this "English Whittler" ?
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is a #381315, the "American Whittler" that just sold as auction on ebay for $612.
Better get your #380321 English Whittler now while prices are ~$225.
kj
Attachments
s-l1600 (9).jpg
Buckibbq
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Buckibbq »

kootenay joe wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:11 am Here is a #381315, the "American Whittler" that just sold as auction on ebay for $612.
Better get your #380321 English Whittler now while prices are ~$225.
kj
I actually expected that one to go for more than it did.
I’m a long time collector in search of rare and limited GEC AND Northwoods knives. Always looking to add ivory pieces to my collection. PM to discuss sales or trades, please!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

My #38 English Whittler has arrived. What a Beauty ! The bone is such a warm rich color. I could not be more pleased.
kj
Attachments
IMGP1154.JPG
IMGP1155.JPG
IMGP1156.JPG
IMGP1157.JPG
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Those bone covers look fantastic. I can see why you are well pleased. ::tu::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thank you cudgee. I feel quite lucky to have gotten this knife.
kj
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Roland, that is a jewel. I love the pattern and that one has great bones. Congrats. ::tu:: ::tu::
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

That one has nicer covers than the two I have. I bought a second one on Ebay with hopes that it will be darker in color than the first one. Haven’t seen it yet, but the pics looked kind of light.
You have the coloration I really like on these. Very nice score.
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

kootenay joe wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:51 am My #38 English Whittler has arrived. What a Beauty ! The bone is such a warm rich color. I could not be more pleased.
kj

Glad you got one Roland and a very nice example at that.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks to all for sharing my joy in getting this fine example of the English Whittler.
kj
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Show my 2 English Whittlers The fit and finish is above board ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Attachments
IMG_7218.JPG
IMG_7219.JPG
IMG_7220.JPG
IMG_7221.JPG
IMG_7222.JPG
IMG_7223.JPG
IMG_7224.JPG
IMG_7225.JPG
IMG_7226.JPG
IMG_7227.JPG
FarSide
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by FarSide »

kennedy knives wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:00 pm Show my 2 English Whittlers The fit and finish is above board ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Does not get any better than that. A terrific pattern.
-Tim
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Love them

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”