Ebay seller using my pictures to sell GEC knife

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Ebay seller using my pictures to sell GEC knife

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

I noticed this morning that this seller “fatrat90” is using my photo’s to sell a GEC 78. Anyone that interested in this knife will not be getting the exact knife in the pictures.
Here is the listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/154484578081?h ... SwFPxgvphQ .
Normally I wouldn’t mind, but this is confusing for folks when I have so many knives listed for sale.
Attachments
7660461C-4065-46F2-ACB9-B6C34B963E3E.jpeg
7660461C-4065-46F2-ACB9-B6C34B963E3E.jpeg (70.68 KiB) Viewed 2110 times
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Ebay seller using my pictures to sell GEC knife

Post by bestgear »

I would contact the other seller and inform him/her that your photo royalty fee is normally 20% but since your photos were used without permission, the royalty is now 35% of the sale price. ::dang::

Slimey yet somehow flattering.
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
texoma
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by texoma »

wow, when I first saw your post I thought he/she purchased the knife from you and was reselling using your pics, I don't understand how someone can sell a knife with wrong pics, that's fraud, maybe report the issue that it's not the actual knife and they're using your pics.
Frank

Want 85 RHK Antique Walnut Jig Bone & other Harness Jacks
Trade & Buy List Link https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/wtt ... s.1884432/
Retirement is a time to enjoy the things you never could before
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Probably won't do any good but I'd report the seller to fleabay for unauthorized use of the pics.
Samb

Post by Samb »

I've heard of this happening and the owner of the photo changing the photo to something else, usually something not to pleasant.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Thanks guys, I sent a message to the seller but haven’t heard back. I will report it to Ebay, I doubt they will do anything but you never know. I wouldn’t be happy paying 400 for a knife that isn’t the knife pictured.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:40 amusing my photo’s
for posterity, here's Mark's eBay listing with HIS images: https://www.ebay.com/itm/164876485994?h ... 7675.l2557
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Thanks Tom. I appreciate it.
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:30 pm Thanks Tom. I appreciate it
Killing time waiting in my doctors office I decided to engage with fatrat90:

ME: How nice of you to steal another sellers pictures, such a fine trait for someone trying to build confidence and trust with a buyer

FATRAT90: I bought the knife now I'm selling it. What's the problem sir?

ME: At least disclaim that the knife in the picture is not the knife you’ll receive.

FATRAT90: Dude you are tripping. I don't know what you think you know but you're wrong and overstepping son. The knife in the pictures is the knife that is for sale and that the buyer will receive moron.

ME: LOL - get off eBay and take your fraud elsewhere, you have been reported to eBay for copyright infringement.

FATRAT90: you've been blocked troll

ME: Perfect, saves me the time from doing the same, remember that karma can be a bummer.
Tom
AAPK Administrator

zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

While I agree that fatso is using Mark's pictures (fastso sure doesn't have Mark's table at his house), the tubes in the pictures are different - one lid is marked 782217 and the other is marked 782117, so he didn't steal the picture portrayed, but another picture.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I appreciate you guys coming to my defense. The seller sent me a terse message that he is taking it down and going to take his own pictures. He says that he bought this knife from me, so he must have used a different Ebay name since this Fatrat92 isn’t on the sold items I have. So give him the benefit of the doubt that he is representing the actual knife. I have no problem with him buying a knife from me and marking it up and reselling, more power to him, I don’t like the use of my pictures to resell the same knife, I think that’s just bad form. Plus it’s confusing with all my other listing I have up to have this one up with my photo’s but not from me.
Mike sent me a link to add a watermark to my photo’s, I think I will do that in the future.
You guys are the best I appreciate the help. But there is no need to ding him for this anymore. Thanks.
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

My joy is over anyways, I’m now in an exam room waiting for my doc.
Tom
AAPK Administrator

zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:50 pm I appreciate you guys coming to my defense. The seller sent me a terse message that he is taking it down and going to take his own pictures. He says that he bought this knife from me, so he must have used a different Ebay name since this Fatrat92 isn’t on the sold items I have. So give him the benefit of the doubt that he is representing the actual knife. I have no problem with him buying a knife from me and marking it up and reselling, more power to him, I don’t like the use of my pictures to resell the same knife, I think that’s just bad form. Plus it’s confusing with all my other listing I have up to have this one up with my photo’s but not from me.
Mike sent me a link to add a watermark to my photo’s, I think I will do that in the future.
You guys are the best I appreciate the help. But there is no need to ding him for this anymore. Thanks.
Could you track him down based on his ship from address? I can't see how you'd have shipped more than 1 or 2 items to Aptos, California.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

zzyzzogeton wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:38 pm
Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:50 pm I appreciate you guys coming to my defense. The seller sent me a terse message that he is taking it down and going to take his own pictures. He says that he bought this knife from me, so he must have used a different Ebay name since this Fatrat92 isn’t on the sold items I have. So give him the benefit of the doubt that he is representing the actual knife. I have no problem with him buying a knife from me and marking it up and reselling, more power to him, I don’t like the use of my pictures to resell the same knife, I think that’s just bad form. Plus it’s confusing with all my other listing I have up to have this one up with my photo’s but not from me.
Could you track him down based on his ship from address? I can't see how you'd have shipped more than 1 or 2 items to Aptos, California.
I did check, and I am pretty sure that this is the buyer of this knife. We did this through an email exchange and not on Ebay at all. He somehow found my email address, maybe through my AAPK store since it is there, and we did this directly. I had listed this one on AAPK for a time and had it listed on Ebay for a time as well, so he must have grabbed the pictures from one of those listings and used them. I couldn’t remember who bought this from me, I have sold a lot of knives in the last month and that username rang no bells at all. I’m not bothered by the resell, just using my photo’s when I have around 30 other knives for sale on Ebay. The watermark idea is a good idea.

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”