Great Eastern Cutlery #98s

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
Buckibbq
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Great Eastern Cutlery #98s

Post by Buckibbq »

I couldn’t find a thread dedicated to these monstrous wonders of knife engineering so here’s a thread dedicated to those beasts. Texas Whittlers, Camp And Cattle knives are all welcome. Here’s a pic of Charlie Campagna’s SFO Whittlers to start us off. Burnt Orange, Cranberry and Antique Yellow bone. Notice the centering of the shield on the Cranberry which was a factory mistake as per Charlie.
84B8E208-E271-412C-ADDD-742FD30A551C.jpeg
I’m a long time collector in search of rare and limited GEC AND Northwoods knives. Always looking to add ivory pieces to my collection. PM to discuss sales or trades, please!
FarSide
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Great Eastern Cutlery #98s

Post by FarSide »

Nice group. I did not know about the Cranberry shield. The Camp knife is one of the pinnacles of GEC's craftsmanship.
#98 CC Camp Knife 1.jpg
98.JPG
-Tim
Buckibbq
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Buckibbq »

That’s a great pair, Tim! There were 19 of the Cranberry Whittlers, I think some had the shield centered and some didn’t.
I’m a long time collector in search of rare and limited GEC AND Northwoods knives. Always looking to add ivory pieces to my collection. PM to discuss sales or trades, please!
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Buckibbq wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:13 pm I couldn’t find a thread dedicated to these monstrous wonders of knife engineering so here’s a thread dedicated to those beasts. Texas Whittlers, Camp And Cattle knives are all welcome. Here’s a pic of Charlie Campagna’s SFO Whittlers to start us off. Burnt Orange, Cranberry and Antique Yellow bone. Notice the centering of the shield on the Cranberry which was a factory mistake as per Charlie.
84B8E208-E271-412C-ADDD-742FD30A551C.jpeg
WOW ::woot:: ::woot:: ::woot:: They are nice. ::tu:: ::nod::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Great Thread already> Thank you Bucki for starting it.
Of the 3 Texas Whittlers, i think the Burnt Orange Bone is the most outstanding.
Farside, what is the Tidioute below your Texas Camp Knife ?
kj
Buckibbq
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Buckibbq »

I would agree with the favoritism towards the Burnt Orange bone. The Cranberry, however, is a close second. I’m a sucker for red knives.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Buckibbq wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:20 pm I would agree with the favoritism towards the Burnt Orange bone. The Cranberry, however, is a close second. I’m a sucker for red knives.
Reds and Cranberry colours can be a bit iffy sometimes, your though has hit it out of the ballpark. ::woot:: ::woot:: ::woot:: ::nod::
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

20191108_070916_2.jpg
Trace
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Those are all nice knives. I too would have to say the cranberry would
be my favorite.

Bob
Buckibbq
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Buckibbq »

Let’s bump this thread with a smooth white bone 98 camper. I love camping in the fall!
Attachments
1BEA6595-C767-4AAC-A91C-D212FFD3F56E.jpeg
Mcjimmis

Post by Mcjimmis »

I don’t have a 98 pattern but I have heard speculation they may be coming down the pipe in the near future. If that does end up happening it’s a knife I will be wanting to try out at dealer prices. Does anyone have a weight on these? I’m trying to wrap my head around the idea of actually using one in certain situations. Mostly weekend camping situations where the boat or car isn’t too far.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I don't know the weight but i carry my Texas Camp Knife in a belt sheath. For me it is too big to comfortably carry in a pocket. If GEC does make anymore #98 pattern knives they will sell out in minutes. For many of us the only way to get a new GEC is to buy from a 'flipper' on ebay.
kj
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Buford Pusser may have used one of these to whittle his big sticks!
Attachments
20211023_180802.jpg
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

gsmith7158 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:00 pm Buford Pusser may have used one of these to whittle his big sticks!
Great looking knife Greg. ::nod::
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Thanks doglegg! They are massive. :D
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Buckibbq
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Buckibbq »

Kingwood 98 Whittler
B90D7779-49CB-4F8E-83AE-3BFC7AE05937.jpeg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The #98 is a large knife but i don't find it "massive". It is relatively slender, like a fine tuned athlete. The tolerances are tight and this fine workmanship keeps it from being bulky.
If GEC does do another run of these i would like to see a 2 blade, single spring pattern with flat bolsters like the Northwoods "Presidential".
kj
Rimfirekyle

Post by Rimfirekyle »

The 98 is a knife I'd love to try. I love big knives, the 86 being a favorite. Hopefully gec makes a new run of them at some point because it haven't seen a 98 trade hands in a while.
Buckibbq
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Buckibbq »

kootenay joe wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:57 am The #98 is a large knife but i don't find it "massive". It is relatively slender, like a fine tuned athlete. The tolerances are tight and this fine workmanship keeps it from being bulky.
If GEC does do another run of these i would like to see a 2 blade, single spring pattern with flat bolsters like the Northwoods "Presidential".
kj
Looking into my crystal ball, I think that your hope may come to fruition sooner than later. If I were a betting man, I’d say we will see a single spring 98 before the end of the year.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Bucki, does your "crystal ball" communicate with people who work at GEC ? How else can one learn what GEC might be making in a few months time ?
kj
Buckibbq
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Buckibbq »

It’s only a wild guess on my part based on no reliable “insider information”, KJ…I just think it’s about time for a reappearance of the 98. Now let’s get back to some other 98s…
6E05610E-44CE-4771-B8BD-829E29264DF6.jpeg
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

Buckibbq wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:39 pm
kootenay joe wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:57 am The #98 is a large knife but i don't find it "massive". It is relatively slender, like a fine tuned athlete. The tolerances are tight and this fine workmanship keeps it from being bulky.
kj
Looking into my crystal ball, I think that your hope may come to fruition sooner than later. If I were a betting man, I’d say we will see a single spring 98 before the end of the year.
As great as that sounds Bill Howard has sworn never to run 98's again.
Trace
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Rotten wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:00 pm
kj
Any idea why that would be?
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

edge213 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:18 am
Rotten wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:00 pm

Any idea why that would be?
There's a better explaination on the other forum somewhere. Boiled down to it was a very difficult pattern to build. Apparently there were a lot that never made it out of the factory which is evident in the low production totals.
Trace
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

I thought it was said the 4 blade camp knife won't be made again, not a ban on the98 frame.

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”