Solingen Boker Jumbo Congress Questions

Boker specific research and history discussions, Questions & answers, Picture sharing
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Solingen Boker Jumbo Congress Questions

Post by Colonel26 »

Last Sunday on Father's Day my dad gave me a couple of great old knives. One of them was this Boker jumbo congress. I'm a big fan of big knives, and big ol congress knives in particular. This one is delrin, and like most of them is missing the shield. It doesn't have a pattern number that I can find, but it is a hair over 4 1/8" long.

Can any of you Boker experts suss out what the pattern number is? I'm thinking 5974(?).

Any idea of the date range for this knife? The best I can come up with is 1960's to the present according to the tang stamp charts, since it would have had the Tree Brand banner type shield that would knock it down to 1971(?), and since it has ringed bolsters that means 71- early 80's? I have a newer one about like it with ringed bolsters that I was told was from the late 80's. But reading the knife, I think this one is older. It has much thicker and heavier blades than the newer one.

It's a heavy duty old thing with big ol thick blades. I'm liking it real good for a working knife.
fullsizeoutput_253.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_252.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_251.jpeg
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
tongueriver

Re: Solingen Boker Jumbo Congress Questions

Post by tongueriver »

I purchased one of these knives, this time being the Boker USA version, not the German version, in 1970 while working construction, and I carried it as my only EDC until nearly 1990, at which time it was utterly totally worn out. Then in 2016 I bought a new one, a German version from an AAPK store. My notes say that it was post-1961 manufacture, but I don't know the source for that information. Here is the new one. The pattern number is seen in the etch. The main reason I like these knives aside from the generous size is that all four blades are different and well-chosen.
5474001 - Copy.jpg
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Solingen Boker Jumbo Congress Questions

Post by Colonel26 »

Thanks Cal. That’s a looker. I love those 4 1/8- 4 1/4” Knives. Just the right size for me. And those big ol congresses are just so dang useful. Good to see other appreciate them too.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee

Return to “Boker Knife Collector's Forum”