The ole Boker issue, shield falls our

Boker specific research and history discussions, Questions & answers, Picture sharing
whit107

The ole Boker issue, shield falls our

Post by whit107 »

Hey Boker folks, what is the best adhesive to reinstall a shield on a Boker knife? Was thinking Super glue gel?
Life is far too short to carry a bad knife.
Tsar Bomba

Re: The ole Boker issue, shield falls our

Post by Tsar Bomba »

The first knife I ever had shields fall out of was a Boker Tang Stamp whittler (two shields). I dropped the knife and both came rattling out of the bone.

I very lightly applied some Gorilla brand super glue and carefully reseated both shields and neither one has budged since. Just don't use a lot. The tiniest dab at key points in the recess should do the trick.
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I'm curious, what's with such a high number of Boker USA knives missing shields? I mean, most everyone I see that's been used regularly is missing it, but Cases and others don't often lose shields. The glue used?
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

As part of a larger choice in the industry to go from pinned to glued shields, the missing shield has become a lot more commonplace. Unlike your experience, I've seen my share of Cases missing shields or with stories about having to reglue them. A Case was my first "test case" :lol: for the brand of glue I mentioned, but when you mentioned it was a "Boker issue" I had to smile when I thought about the red Boker whittler with **two** shields - both glued in, and neither capable of withstanding the first real fall on a hard surface while the knife was in my ownership. ::shrug::

I think the "phenomenon" is more obvious among Boker and Case because they are two of the biggest names to come out of the troubles cutlers faced with Far East competition and, as such, the sheer quantity of Cases and Bokers we see will necessarily outstrip some of the other cutlers that didn't survive but nonetheless switched to synthetics and glued shields to save a buck and in some cases just prolong the inevitable. I do appreciate how some makers will pin on shields, either as a matter or on special premium runs. I appreciate a pinned shield but glued shields popping out has been relatively rare for me so I don't worry much about it on newer, US/German/English-made traditionals. YMMV, of course. I'm sure some people have had a rash of loose shields and try to avoid the glued ones altogether.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I found this Boker Premium Stock Knife #7474 in a display case at a local gunshow over the weekend. I asked the owner what make it was, and he said "I don't know, it had a medalion on it but it fell out, so I don't know what it is". I looked at it and said "I will give you $5 for it". He said" SOLD". It had a little rust on it but it cleaned up nice. What I do with the missing shield Bokers is to take a scrap piece of nickle silver liner material and make a plain insert and glue it in and use it for a EDC! Even though it is plain, it looks better that the hole it fills.
IMG_2651.JPG
IMG_2656.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

The two Queens I have dropped their shield. Fortunately I found them. A drop of Super Glue Gel and they're holding fast.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

I found these miniature coins at a local coin shop.
I have used to replace lost shields.
Usually some modification is needed to the coin or the original shield inlet.
Attachments
20190113_192613.jpg
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf

Return to “Boker Knife Collector's Forum”