Boker Blade Etches

Boker specific research and history discussions, Questions & answers, Picture sharing
Mason

Boker Blade Etches

Post by Mason »

Here are just a few of the neat blade etches that Boker used. These are all pre WWII examples.
Attachments
Boker Blade Etch Group .jpg
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Boker Blade Etches

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Wow, are those nice. A great picture for comparison purposes.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Those are all very nicely preserved and quite interesting. Do you know the story behind the "RADIUM" etch ?
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
thegreedygulo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by thegreedygulo »

NICE group Neal! Here's a few more older Boker blade etches.
Attachments
100-0022_IMG.JPG
108-0874_IMG.JPG
108-0875_IMG.JPG
114-1448_IMG.JPG
120-2076_IMG.JPG
114-1462_IMG.JPG
125-2535_IMG.JPG
129-2941_IMG.JPG
A pocket knife is still an intimate personal possession of the individual who carries it and consequently deserves the best of materials, finish and workmanship in its production. (Quoted from Boker's 1928 cutlery catalog).
wlf

Post by wlf »

My favorites are the old Tree Brand ones.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
Mason

Post by Mason »

Thanks Olde Cutler and Philco.

Don't know for certain on the "Radium" etch, but here is my theory... :)

I believe that "Radium" falls into the same age related cool category as "Electric" and "Magnetic", as terms that were seen on various knife blades during the turn of the twentieth century. Radium, which was discovered by Marie and Pierre (husband) Curie in 1898 was soon used as a radioactive element in glow in the dark watch faces in the early 1900s. That, by the way, didn't turn out so well for the women who applied the Radium paint solutions on the watch faces. But, in the early 1900s, Radium, like electricity and magnetism (in electric form) were all relatively new and simply amazing things to most people. Boker started using "RADIUM" as an etch at least as early as 1909 and it stuck around for about twenty years.
Mason

Post by Mason »

Beautiful examples Greedy, thanks for posting those!!!
If I remember correctly, you have a few (thousand) nice Bokers. :)

Those are my favorites as well, wlf, along with most every other Boker. :)
Mason

Post by Mason »

One for wlf... :)
Attachments
Boker two blade etch (2) (1100x938).jpg
thegreedygulo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by thegreedygulo »

philco wrote:Those are all very nicely preserved and quite interesting. Do you know the story behind the "RADIUM" etch ?
Hey Philco, I don't know the whole story behind the radium blade etches used by Boker, but as Mason stated, it was probably just a marketing ploy used to sell knives. Boker trademarked radium in 1904.
A pocket knife is still an intimate personal possession of the individual who carries it and consequently deserves the best of materials, finish and workmanship in its production. (Quoted from Boker's 1928 cutlery catalog).
thegreedygulo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by thegreedygulo »

Mason wrote:Beautiful examples Greedy, thanks for posting those!!!
If I remember correctly, you have a few (thousand) nice Bokers. :)

Those are my favorites as well, wlf, along with most every other Boker. :)
I am partial to the old stuff myself.

Mason: I don't have that many knives, but would like to add to the total if you ever want to sell any of that group you posted? 8) :mrgreen:
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Mason wrote:Here are just a few of the neat blade etches that Boker used.
Mason:

First of all, what a beautiful collection of Boker's you have there. I don't own any Boker knives but I am very impressed by yours.

Second, on the top knife, there appears to be 4 numbers written on the blade: 7473. Would you happen to know what those numbers mean? Could that knife have been a "Salesmen's Sample" or something to that effect?

"If there are no Dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went". Will Rogers

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
ScoutKnives

Post by ScoutKnives »

Beautiful knives posted ::drool::
Always looking for Mint pre war scout knives
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

XX Case XX wrote:
Mason:

First of all, what a beautiful collection of Boker's you have there. I don't own any Boker knives but I am very impressed by yours.

Second, on the top knife, there appears to be 4 numbers written on the blade: 7473. Would you happen to know what those numbers mean? Could that knife have been a "Salesmen's Sample" or something to that effect?
Mike,in the last couple years,Smokey Mountain broke up a large factory board that had knives with those red factory #'s on them.I have/had a couple myself.One dealer I knew had 50 or 60 of them.
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Thanks Roger. I've seen knives with numbers on them before. Many of them were Schrades. I don't know why but I like those with the numbers, they look cool. ::tu::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Mason

Post by Mason »

thegreedygulo wrote:
philco wrote:Those are all very nicely preserved and quite interesting. Do you know the story behind the "RADIUM" etch ?
Hey Philco, I don't know the whole story behind the radium blade etches used by Boker, but as Mason stated, it was probably just a marketing ploy used to sell knives. Boker trademarked radium in 1904.
Interesting that we don't see the "RADIUM" blade etch in the 1906 factory Boker catalog?
Mason

Post by Mason »

XX Case XX wrote:
Mason:

peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Also many of the Boker etches are reversed etches.Something rarely seen in old American made knives.
Roger
wlf

Post by wlf »

Mason wrote:One for wlf... :)
Thanks, I had these in mind when I patterned my etch . As a matter of fact, I downloaded these images, probably all from Roger R.
Attachments
Tree Brand etch. 1  JPG.JPG
Tree Brand etch. 2  JPG.JPG
Tree Brand etch. 3  JPG.JPG
Tree Brand etch.JPG
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Very impressive knives being shown here. The new Boker book contains all the tang stamps from 1828 thru 1983.

Return to “Boker Knife Collector's Forum”