OLIVE WOOD BOKER

Boker specific research and history discussions, Questions & answers, Picture sharing
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

OLIVE WOOD BOKER

Post by Quick Steel »

This Olive Wood Boker was made in Solingen. I like the color and grain of the wood, my chief reason for getting it. The finish is standard but one aspect of the fit is, imo, a bit off. The run up presents an excessive gap. Thus the talk is good with an authoritative snap upon closing, but the walk stumbles. There is no walk, not even the whisper of a snick upon opening. Yet the half-stops are solid. Out of the box the blade sharpness was just barely acceptable. This knife is at the lower end of Boker's price range. Notice the gap between the spring and the blade.
P1030434 (2).JPG
P1030435 (2).JPG
P1030436 (2).JPG
P1030437 (2).JPG
P1030439 (2).JPG
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: OLIVE WOOD BOKER

Post by doglegg »

I like the olive wood QS. Tony Wood had a fixed blade he made with olive wood handle and it looked good as well. Congrats. ::nod:: ::tu::
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

That run up is pretty poor quality. I was wondering about these knives, I like the olive wood and the way it looks. That run up is enough to turn me off. Thanks for posting this. Wonder if all the patterns are like this or just this pattern?
Other than that, I love the way this looks.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Mark, I did a quick check of half a dozen of my Bokers. They all had very decent run ups. Nothing objectionable. I think it is even unlikely that it is a pattern issue, just that of an individual knife. I also got a new Bulldog today. The runup is almost Japanese-not quite-but almost.
RevolverGuy

Post by RevolverGuy »

I know Boker uses olive wood on some of their kitchen knives but I didn't know they used it on their slipjoint folders as well. The grain looks great but surprised to see that gap though. None of my vintage or modern Boker's have ever had that issue. Is it from poor fit or do you think it is a separation issue caused by the adhesive?
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Unless I am mistaken, there would be no adhesive involved. As I see it is a matter of the appropriate FITTING of two pieces of metal brought together. Like the parts of a firearm. Any corrections or comments from our more knowledgeable members are most welcome.
RevolverGuy

Post by RevolverGuy »

I always thought scales were glued and pinned. I was referring to the gap seen between the olive wood and liner. I've never had a Boker stockman come apart but below you will see my Boker 4000 lockback. This had stag scales that had come apart due to time and heavy/hard use, in addition to being dropped a few times. You can see the shiny part of the brass where there was glue on the liner. When the stag started to come off I decided to just take it apart and scrape most of it off. I recently sent this back to the factory for repair by the way.
boker4000.jpg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

RG, I see what your referring to which is not the run up. It is the scale you are talking about on the top right side. Actually the photo makes that appear considerably larger than it actually is. I was referring to the gap beween where the blade touches the spring.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

The way the blade looks where it meets the back spring, I would say they over polished the end and took off the corners. Looks like it was more of a blade issue.
Don’t you love seeing this tight fit on the run ups like on your Bulldog? I never get tired of looking at my Japanese knives for that very reason.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I am sure that your mechanical insights are far superior to mine which = zero. I did some more checking of a couple of brands. My Schrades are mostly scrimshaw and I was impressed with the run-ups on the average or small size.Very good. Actually I was quite impressed with the Schrades. The big knives are less precise. The Case were okay.

None of the brands can equal the Japanese of course.
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

That is a nice Boker, Quick Steel. I like olive wood. I have wondered why it is not used more in knife handles. As woods go, it is quite hard and tough.

But the run up reminds me of a Boker that I own. It is also a nice knife, but the run up bothers me enough that I would never choose it for a carry knife. I think that the run up is exactly the way that Boker intended it to be. It is just too good of quality knife for the run up to be an example of poor construction or poor quality control, in my opinion.
Attachments
Boker
Boker
Mel
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Do you know if your Boker is Soligen manufacture or from elsewhere?
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Quick Steel wrote:Do you know if your Boker is Soligen manufacture or from elsewhere?
It says Solingen and Germany. Like I said, I do not think the run up is an accident. I have wondered if Boker had a bunch of blades and frames on hand that were not really made for each other, but they decided to mate them up anyway.
Attachments
Boker
Boker
Mel

Return to “Boker Knife Collector's Forum”